Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night and Curse of the Moon
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    So more people are playing a rubbish version. Remember kids, pre-ordering is bad.

Presumably because they Kickstarted it. It’s a weird one because I am against pre-ordering most of the time, but I can understand why people kickstart stuff because if they don’t it may not ever exist. I still shy away from it myself.
  • Yeah, that is a very different type of gambling, but without Kickstarter no game. I wouldn’t class it the same as pre-order (hadn’t considered kickstarter earlier).

Wonder why they didn’t hold it back if it was that bad
  • I tend to avoid pre-ordering, partly because of porting woes but chiefly because a game might just be bobbins, but pre-launch price incentives are becoming the norm on Switch. Not in this instance, but a current example is Skulls of the Shogun, which is half price if you order it in advance.
  • I doubt I'd ever help kickstart a game myself, but in this case I'm glad people did. I think there is commitment on the dev's part to delivering what players want, so hopefully the Switch version should improve.

And in this instance, all the fan service and little in-game rewards for major backers actually adds to the experience. Enemies based on people's pets, portraits in the paintings, it's great.
  • Pre-ordering gives them an extra free pass, and they have enough already.

Edit: not talking about kickstarter, general pre-order

Edit 2: yes, the backer stuff for this game is nice. I even like the extra dlc (I don’t do dlc) where they clearly explain it’s unfair to give it away for free to non-backes.
  • I got this on kickstarter, and my copy came today.

Anyone want a digital code for the aussie switch eshop for curse of the moon?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    So more people are playing a rubbish version. Remember kids, pre-ordering is bad.

Presumably because they Kickstarted it. It’s a weird one because I am against pre-ordering most of the time, but I can understand why people kickstart stuff because if they don’t it may not ever exist. I still shy away from it myself.

I kickstarted it on WiiU
  • So this is what I wrote about Bloodstained for Kotaku UK:

Second Symphony - How Bloodstained Makes Castlevania Sing Again
    https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/07/10/second-symphony-how-bloodstained-makes-castlevania-sing-again
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I've now started this. Early days but kinda fun and yes very Castlevania.

Need to work out where to grow my time though, which is a bit surprising...
  • Surprised to learn that there's a Curse of the Moon 2 and it's out tomorrow.
  • Am I the only one that thought Ritual of the Night was a load of pap??
  • Am I the only one that thought Ritual of the Night was a load of pap??

Yes. Lol. I really liked it. Its just Castlevania so you know what you will get. I need to finish it off.

Also i forgot about this thread and posted all my stuff in the Castlevania thread when i was actively playing it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Surprised to learn that there's a Curse of the Moon 2 and it's out tomorrow.

Looks quite tasty for co-op too.
  • This is great.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Two new free modes as dlc

Classic Mode
    : Announced during Bloodstained’s Kickstarter campaign, Classic Mode sends Miriam into an 8-bit aesthetic world armed only with a Sword-whip. Miriam must once again enter the demonic castle to confront Gebel and survive five harrowing stages and five sub-bosses that stand in her way. Upon finishing Classic Mode, players are graded on time, score and number of deaths across three difficulty modes – be sure to efficiently use Miriam’s special moves including slide, backstep and backflip. Users can activate Classic Mode from the EXTRA MODES option on the main menu screen.

Kingdom Crossover: Publishers Raw Fury and 505 Games partnered last year by transporting Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night’s beloved characters – Miriam, Zangetsu, Gebel and Alfred – to Kingdom: Two Crowns. Both publishers are teaming up again, but this time, bringing the world of Kingdom: Two Crowns into Bloodstained. The aptly named Kingdom Crossover content includes a new area that captures the beautiful, modern pixel art aesthetic of Kingdom. Players will encounter a new boss, the Archer Familiar Shard and can find a new piece of equipment: the Crown Head Gear, which reduces damage at the cost of gold.
  • Nice, I'll give the classic mode a go before this drops off gamepass.  I've considered the main game a few times but I'm saving myself for Silksong.
  • Well this is a thing that exists. Struggling with level 3 at the moment. It's quite hideous with its stair placement, but I suppose they were aiming for irritating and it's a nice enough addition I guess. I like this sort of thing and I'm not really enjoying it though, so that has to count for something. Plus there's something about Miriam that just doesn't feel right. Will push on but it's not very good.
  • Level four is a lot better than level three though. The boss just wiped the floor with me but it's a decent stage.

I'll have to check out the main game to see how the controls feel now. Obviously the bottomless pits on every screen and (I assume) relentless batlike creatures knocking you into them aren't present in the full fat version, but I'm intrigued now. I do like a bit of Castlevania but I prefer the 16-bitters to the 8-bit entries.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!