МИР В ДВИЖЕНИИ ДЛЯ ФЕСТИВАЛЯ ФУТБОЛА РОССИИ РОССИИ 2018
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think most people knew it was a 50/50 really. There’s no harm in dreaming a bit.

I think most people did, probably.  But the media is the visible bit and a lot of the time their 'dreaming' crossed the line into disrespect.  I think so, anyway.

It's a long running joke up here that after a couple of good games in the group stages, the commentators/pundits are wondering who England will be playing in the final.  It's a joke that became less relevant in recent World Cups because the team had no chance of winning. 

The team's chances changed, and the joke became relevant again.  Some of the reporting has been laughable and pretty disrespectful to the opponents.  I've even seen a few stories that suggested that players were joining in.  One story on the BBC (that I can't find at the moment) had a headline claiming that Southgate said the celebrations would be bigger than 1966 if they won.  Maybe it was a bullshit headline, maybe it was a manager getting conned into saying something he shouldn't.

I remember Celtic's run in the UEFA Cup in 2003.  We played Blackburn and Liverpool on the way and didn't play particularly well in the first leg of either.  We won both away legs 2-0.  On both occasions, the Celtic players cited the fact that they'd been written off after the first leg as part of the inspiration of the performances in the second.  These things affect players.  That sentiment stuck with me and I saw it in overwhelming volumes during this world cup.

I think England were pretty good in this WC and far better to watch than in the past when they had arguably better teams at their disposal.  I've quite enjoyed watching some of you guys getting excited about the games.  But maybe the main lesson to learn from this tournament is to not write off your opponents.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I didn't say you did, although you did chuck a sneaky edit in there after your first sentence.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They came across a better, more experienced team, that’s all. There was nothing in the way that they played that suggested that they believed that it would be a walkover, in fact a lot of the pundits were suggesting the first half was the best half of football that they’d managed in the whole tournament. Croatia were just able to work out a way around it, that’s all.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think most people knew it was a 50/50 really. There’s no harm in dreaming a bit.

I think most people did, probably.  But the media is the visible bit and a lot of the time their 'dreaming' crossed the line into disrespect.  I think so, anyway.

It's a long running joke up here that after a couple of good games in the group stages, the commentators/pundits are wondering who England will be playing in the final.  It's a joke that became less relevant in recent World Cups because the team had no chance of winning. 

The team's chances changed, and the joke became relevant again.  Some of the reporting has been laughable and pretty disrespectful to the opponents.  I've even seen a few stories that suggested that players were joining in.  One story on the BBC (that I can't find at the moment) had a headline claiming that Southgate said the celebrations would be bigger than 1966 if they won.  Maybe it was a bullshit headline, maybe it was a manager getting conned into saying something he shouldn't.

I remember Celtic's run in the UEFA Cup in 2003.  We played Blackburn and Liverpool on the way and didn't play particularly well in the first leg of either.  We won both away legs 2-0.  On both occasions, the Celtic players cited the fact that they'd been written off after the first leg as part of the inspiration of the performances in the second.  These things affect players.  That sentiment stuck with me and I saw it in overwhelming volumes during this world cup.

I think England were pretty good in this WC and far better to watch than in the past when they had arguably better teams at their disposal.  I've quite enjoyed watching some of you guys getting excited about the games.  But maybe the main lesson to learn from this tournament is to not write off your opponents.

I just think you've got a massive chip on your shoulder. Don't hold any cunt in here responsible for what the fucking press print. Dear me.
  • I didn't say you did, although you did chuck a sneaky edit in there after your first sentence.

Love a ninja edit :)
  • ‘It’s coming home’ was obviously bollocks (unless you’re a small child, in which case I’ll happily excuse you and think it’s endearingly sweet). The one-eyed nature of footie presentation at these tournaments has been there for so long I barely notice it, a few token foreigners here and there but most are firmly in the ‘come on England’ camp. Annoying, but not much of a surprise. The red tops are always vile, about everything. Their twisted version of patriotism is never anything but unpleasant. And this putrid government cashing in on any positivity inadvertently produced by England’s run would’ve been revolting...

The players and management themselves, they seemed very grounded and humble to me. And the fan’s weren’t as twatty as they can be (Russia being significantly more difficult to get to than the Euro’s in France probably helped). There’s fewer cunts in this England team than any in recent memory really (Alli maybe, Young, Vardy possibly).

Meh. It’ll always be hard to get fully behind anyone with an official brassband but England were vaguely likeable at times.

Basically, like club football - everyone has their dickheads...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I mean, where are the press links to other countries to compare? Matt, where are your Twitter links to a takedown of the Belgian media etc?

Or is it just an England thing?
  • Matt, I think I understand your point, I am consistently embarrassed by our media getting carried away. Is it unique to England? I've genuinely no idea but I suspect not. I am frustrated to be lumped in with them though, the amount of times I've said one game at a time and Croatia will be toughest test yet it feels like it falls on deaf ears and people just shout it's coming home. Then people have the audacity to tell me to just believe, as if blind faith is somehow constructive. If we had won tonight I would be dancing in the streets but I hate all the people sitting around saying what we did wrong or what they would have done better, 99% of them know fuck all about football.

P.s. I'm ranting predominantly about general Muppet's in the pub not this forum.
  • I think I read somewhere an interesting parallel by English newspapers on football and French newspapers on rugby, something to do with the amount of money banded about in the domestic Leagues.
  • I mean, where are the press links to other countries to compare? Matt, where are your Twitter links to a takedown of the Belgian media etc? Or is it just an England thing?

I don't speak the language, sorry.  Maybe their media wrote off their opponents, too.

I dunno.  Alls I'm saying is that I thought a lot of the stuff banded about was disrespectful and probably came back to bite people in the ass.  You can disagree.
  • For some stupid reason I am watching the entire replay. Both teams had a lot of chances
  • I guess many would argue 'it's coming home' didn't really mean 'we are definitely going to win' although I can definitely see how it was interpreted that way, I mean, that's literally what it says, but it was just the way of showing support that took hold. It's actually a song about pain and disappointment. Why do we have pain and disappointment? Because we have expectations beyond being there. Is that expectations warranted? Who knows, but it's certainly not unique to England. Our meme just happened to get a lot of traction
  • Any team that relies on setpieces for its main supply of goals shouldn't be in a final. An average England team got found out in the end. No plan B and not enough quality on the pitch. As good as they've been lingaard, stones, trippier, aren't starters for their clubs first XI. Hendersen isn't a holding midfielder as Liverpool have been crying out for one for years. Belgium v France should have been the final. Best two teams in the competition.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    I mean, where are the press links to other countries to compare? Matt, where are your Twitter links to a takedown of the Belgian media etc? Or is it just an England thing?

I don't speak the language, sorry.  Maybe their media wrote off their opponents, too.

I dunno.  Alls I'm saying is that I thought a lot of the stuff banded about was disrespectful and probably came back to bite people in the ass.  You can disagree.

Thank you, I will. I think England going out had a lot more to do with stuff happening on the pitch than whatever shite has got up your nose off it.
  • It was a lot more fun pretending to believe than sitting by and being cynical.

Like others this is the first bunch of lads since 96 where I haven't actively hated most of the squad.
  • The tabloid press are massive massive cunts. Ignore them and you'll mostly find a load of people with pretty realistic expectations. The 'coming home' thing was semi-ironic, I thought, although I did also find it irritating as fuck.

Anyway, personally I'm not disappointed. In the end, this wasn't a team/squad good enough to win a world cup, and didn't have an amazing individual player to drag them there. I thought Neville and Keane were annoying last night with their post-game negativity - they'll never get another chance and all that. I don't think we can be down about not winning the thing, we should be pleased about this team reaching the SF and hope it helps their confidence in future tournaments, to the point we might one day reach a final without needing an unusually favourable draw.

Before this WC started, I would've thought last 16 was the minimum expectation, QFs was a decent achievement, and SFs was a really great tournament. I didn't even think beyond that, and I wouldn't change that judgement now. It was great, and I think we can get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hangover
    And the hangover reading the posts. Fantastic job, team should be immensely proud. I really thought this was gonna be it, hope the papers aren't too shitty towards a good bunch of boys.
  • Keane is never happy. As much as he complained about the English maybe losing the run of themselves and thinking they can win it, he also hates the Irish fan who is happy to turn up and just have a good time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • He's just a cunt and we should ignore him.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Any team that relies on setpieces for its main supply of goals shouldn't be in a final.

That makes no sense at all. They’re a vitally important and legitimate way to score. Moreover, the team weren’t diving on the edge of the box every 5 minutes to get free-kicks or thumping the ball off opponents’ bodies to get corners. The opponents stopped our attacks by foul measures and England used the resultant set piece to punish them.

It’s like saying that any team that relies on speed or counter attacks doesn’t deserve to be in the final. It’s Talksport logic.
  • What Reg said.

Hard lines chaps, but what a story its been. Please don't shoot them down.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Any team that relies on setpieces for its main supply of goals shouldn't be in a final. An average England team got found out in the end. No plan B and not enough quality on the pitch. As good as they've been lingaard, stones, trippier, aren't starters for their clubs first XI. Hendersen isn't a holding midfielder as Liverpool have been crying out for one for years. Belgium v France should have been the final. Best two teams in the competition.

Mostly utter bollocks. We didn't 'rely' on set pieces, we just happened to score from a lot of them and that's the most goals an England side has ever scored at a WC tournament.

A lot of these players stepped up to the plate and played as the one thing we have been longing for since, well, 1990 probably....a team.

And Belgium were nearly beaten by Japan. I'd say the best two teams (on form, not team sheets) are probably in the final. What Croatia have had to endure to make the final is incredibly impressive. To look fitter than us after two penalty shootouts and ET says a lot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The front pages today all seem incredibly positive towards the team. No worries on that front.
  • I thought we relied too much on set pieces. We had chances in open play to kill the game in the first half last night and couldn't make anything of them. In the second half we never looked like creating a real chance other than from set pieces.

Sure, we scored a lot of set pieces, which is great. But we needed more in open play too. Hopefully that'll come with more experience.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The front pages today all seem incredibly positive towards the team. No worries on that front.

Good to hear. 2020 will roll around in no time
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. Then we’ll see how they get on with the inevitable weight of expectation.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    What Croatia have had to endure to make the final is incredibly impressive. To look fitter than us after two penalty shootouts and ET says a lot.

Aye, surprised at that. We had younger players who looked out on their feet in the second half never mind extra time.
  • I don’t think Roy Keane should be lecturing anyone about counter-productive attitudes towards a World Cup.
  • The "bringing the country together" bollocks has annoyed me. Great, England got to come together for a big hug and a sing song while the rest of Britain still gets fucked.

I have a chip too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    England is a country, so’s Scotland. This has bought England together, and, TBF, England has probably needed it the most seeing as the Brexit divide is greater here than elsewhere.

FWIW, I’d rather we had a national team representing the whole of GB.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!