Fallout 76
‹ Previous123456716

• Let's deal with the, huh, fallout from the controversies shall we?

It's an always-online multiplayer title

The antithesis of everything Fallout?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Todd promised that they're not building an "adventure theme park" where there are 1000's of players running around ganking noob Vault dwellers the moment they step out into the world.  We're not even talking in the 100's.  Only "dozens" of players roaming an area four times the size of Fallout 4.  With those odds, the chance of bumping into other players, while not remote, is an exciting one rather than a constant 'you stole my sweetroll, again!' scenario.  But I can't lie.  I had hoped they would limit multiplayer to 4-player co-op.  It can be played solo, but we all know how that usually ends up.

It's so green!

I have no problem with this. If you look at other post-apocalyptic titles, from the latest Metro to S.T.A.L.K.E.R, they've always accentuated the green over the brown, depicting worlds reclaimed by nature.  And besides, the mountainous forest areas of this re-imagined West Virginia look absolutely stunning.  A world just waiting to be reclaimed.

I fought the lore. And the lore won.  But Bethesda, said "ah fuck it, we'll make our own god damn lore!"

It's set 25 years after the first bombs dropped.  The Master ain't been dippin' anyone in vats of green yet - so no Super Mutants because their creator has not even been "born".  The Enclave haven't been using FEV to tamper with the genetic structure of indigenous species to hatch Deathclaws yet because, well, they're not around either.  But that doesn't stop Bethesda from populating this new land with both.  And don't get me started on the Ghouls.... The only sting in the tale is the absence of Radscorpions.

But Fallout 76 is set 200 years before any other Fallout game.  So perhaps that gives them license to reboot the lore because they own the license. But purists aren't going to be happy.  I can almost hear @Roujin spitting out his Nuka Cola in disgust.

Settlements are back

But no sign of the settlers.  The virtually-broken settlement building system from Fallout 4 appears to be ‘intact’, but this time, it comes with a unique twist.  You can build anywhere  (ho-hum, mods made this possible years ago)   but  then pack up your settlement with a C.A.M.P and take it with you.   Mintuarisation tech? Not even The Institute were that advanced.

Re-imagined Menagerie
    Just to spruce things up a bit, we have a new host of critters, including a Scorchbeast , Diseased Mega Sloths and ‘Grafton Monsters’.  Twenty five years of radiation sure does speed-up the pace of evolutionary change huh Bethesda?  And here’s one just for you @Raiziel.  Tip: count the legs.
    Spoiler:

Baby’s Got An Atom Bomb

A precedent of sorts was set when (if) you chose to blow up Megaton in Fallout 3.  The threat of unexploded Nukes was always there.  But with Fallout 76, Bethesda has truly flipped.  Teams of players scowering the land for launch codes and nuking parts of the map for the LOLs?  It’s a bold move, but the fresh ground zero sites will probably just play out as temporary ‘irradiated instances’ where there is high level loot to be had before they revert back to normal status.  That’s my best guess.

All in all, not as devastating as I had first feared.  Bethesda haven’t gone for the nuclear option on singleplayer.  It’s still there, but clearly not the focus.  But it’s obvious that they’ve gone for the rather lamentable ESO approach of re-using a lot of the art assets and UI to provide that familiar Fallout feeling to comfort those who would rather wander the wastes alone.    For the time being, I remain cautiously optimistic about this particular forthcoming nuclear holocaust.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • That long hot summer of 76........
  • It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It's not the Fallout I want but it doesn't look bad. I will follow it, see what happens. See if it can actually be played solo or if it can be played solo like SoT and Destiny.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Blocks100 wrote:

Dang, and I thought the triggering the thumbnail gave me would be the worst it got. 

Jesus fucking christ Bethesda, teams of vault dwellers in power armour fighting hoards of enemies and firing nuclear missiles. It is the hyperspace ramming moment of the franchise.

Why don't they just either have you being the Brotherhood or the Enclave, since those are the military leftovers who would be all about getting some yee haw nukes or better still, make a new IP.

If you like it, good, it's not for me, but since it is (not anymore I guess) my most favouritest franchise with my most favouritest game ever in it, I am going to throw my toys out the pram.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 4IYbGCf.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The disappointment is understandable. This clearly isn't a spin off or throw away thing. This seems like F4's New Vegas except moving quite far away from the narrative side of things.
  • Yep, they've confirmed there wont be any NPC's.  Just human players. 

Still, who will truly miss Bethesda's take on NPC's?    The facial tech was risible in FO4.
  • It's not the actual NPCs it's the missions they give you.
    I guess there won't be an established outside world for them to live in anyway.
  • Missions are given out by the Overseer (main story) and they'll still be robots and holotapes to find.  Presumably they may trigger some side quests too.

But a Fallout deplete of Harolds, Moria Browns, and Paladin Danses is sure going to be a strange one.
  • Yeah, there is a madness to the Fallout world, an insanity developed over time. That would seem unlikely to exist in 76.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I don’t think I’m really up for this. It’s just not what I want in a Bethesda game. I haven’t even played the F4 dlc yet. Think I might just play that instead.
    Get schwifty.
  • Is anyone getting the 180 quid helmet edition?
  • I'm more interested in the glow-in-the-dark paper map that comes with it.
  • It looked to me that there might be a board game. A map and miniature figures is perfect for it!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Sheds some light on game systems, progression and other projects: 

• IGN have assembled what seems to be a fairly accurate representation of the map.

Might want to avoid the link if you want to go in completely blind.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/what-we-know-about-fallout-76-by-looking-at-its-map
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • So pre-ordered this over the weekend.   First game I've ever pre-ordered (£60 on the Xbox store, silly me), not that I'm particularly taken with their decision to take Fallout online, but I am eager to try out the BETA due to some of the concessions they've made to those who don’t enjoy PvP….

• You can’t be killed by another player if you’re under level 5

• Once murdered by another player, you can’t be targeted again by the same aggressor, unless you  accept their challenge.

• It’s possible for players to gain a wanted level if they go on a rampage against other vault dwellers,  barring them from some activities and putting, presumably, a big fat bounty on their head.

This should help minimise the worst excesses of gankers & griefers.   I am less enamoured with the news however, as per ‘haak’s vid up there, that they are still persisting with the creaking Creation Engine, but this time retrofitting it with the Quake.net code.   I mean what can possibly go wrong there?
  • Assuming they're organised (yeah, I know...) replacing parts of a large codebase one by one isn't a bad way to go.

What'd be cool is if players who kept killing other players got a bounty on them linked to a quest to kill them, so others could find and eliminate them more easily.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    First big Bethesda game in about fifteen years that I won’t be buying. :(
    Get schwifty.
  • Saving up those pennies for Starfield huh?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just not remotely down with a multiplayer Bethesda game.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I'm with Raiz here. They also get a free pass for making broken single player games (by me as well) so fuck knows what this will be
  • I'm crossing my fingers that the multiplayer aspect won't get in the way of building awesome wasteland architecture. And that it lets you build awesome things and isn't too restrictive.

I really should get around to posting some pictures of my Fallout 4 builds.
  • I’m hoping for the best.
  • Oh, they are the best; I spent fucking ages glitching pieces into place.

:p
  • Settlement building is restricted to building portable camps....
  • But how big a portable camp and how much can I customise it?
  • If your settlement building your doing it wrong
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    AJ is doing exactly what Bethesda wants him to do; his own thing.  The settlement stuff is actually pretty good fun, though I never had the patience to pour my imagination into it.
    Get schwifty.
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!