Fallout 76
  • Kow wrote:
    I'd like to know how many people actually buy the 8 quid dress.

They didn't have it in my size.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message

Discuss. Re: my previous comments. 

Jason Schreier, another pleb.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    It's been a great year for gaming. You need to recalibrate your sensors, one bad game coming out doesn't mean the industry is fucked and in need of a major redress.

In my fuck. Not only have Bethseda tarnished their brand and the Fallout franchise, EA have gotten more aggressive with pre-launch tactics by offering multiple game packages with multiple launch windows for each. A practise I am sure other publishers will now follow.

'Give us 80 bucks instead of 60 and you can play our games 10 days early' - questionable enough for single player games but multiplayer ones, such as Battlefield V and Anthem, where you gain significant advantages by being in early? Yeah, great year.

Then there's Namco, forcing people to pay for season passes and ultimate super duper editions to gain access to characters. And guess what, Soul Calibur's Tira happens to be a top tier competitive character. Tough though, you'll need to pay close to 100 Euro to get her. 

Assassins Creed, a game designed around shoehorning people into buy an XP boost by creating the most monumental grind imaginable that conveniently enough can be lulled by spending 10 bucks on a PERMANENT xp boost, a permanent one. And by the way, this is a common consensus.

I could go on but I know half of it won't be read or will be met without a dismissive comment so I'll just leave it there.

I’m still fairly sympathetic towards publishers trying to get a bit more money from sales in these days of ballooning budgets so am not overly concerned by, for instance, early access for extra money (those MP focused games, the advantage from EA erodes pretty quickly and becomes much more about how much free time you have). Nor am I particularly concerned about XP boosts if they only affect the SP of a game assuming it’s balanced correctly. If these truly are optional and help keep a dev’s lights on, then fair play.

But yes, locked characters, multiple packages and enforced grind can all get to fuck.
  • AAA publishers make enough without that shit. The problem is shareholders always want more.
    Watch Sterling's video on Codblops4.

Or just watch Sterling in general.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah Jim is pretty much on the ball. Look, everyone has a different perspective on whats acceptable and what is not. It's healthy to discuss it though. :)
  • So long as it continues to stay away from any game I'm interested in, it doesn't bother me.
  • If you tolerate this, your game will be next.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah Jim is pretty much on the ball. Look, everyone has a different perspective on whats acceptable and what is not. It's healthy to discuss it though. :)

If it's healthy to discuss it, why are you foaming at the mouth when someone disagrees? No one called you a pleb or dismissed your opinion, I simply don't share your "the industry needs a reset" idea as it seems OTT to me.

I've been happily playing all sorts this year and keeping tabs on other stuff recently released which doesn't have any money grubbing attached. Ubi have been doing a grand job supporting stuff like Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 with free updates. SoT too. There are probably more but that's what springs to mind off the top of my noggin, there's been a move away from paid for DLC as subscription services like Game Pass (although that's not been for me) look to come in and generate content/revenue in a different way.

Paying for early access doesn't matter in to me at all, I'm happy to wait for Battlefield V to see what the Battle Royale mode is like before I jump in, so I'll lbe behind the curve by the time I get it anyway.

I've no interest whatsoever in fighters, although withholding top characters behind a paywall does seem to be a shitty practice, we can agree there.

I've been following Assassin's Creed in the thread and this crippling grind wall hasn't made an appearance, so again it's probably been blown out of proportion. As someone who likes to fully explore open world games, I doubt it'll trouble me.

The sky isn't falling.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    If you tolerate this, your game will be next.

What am I meant to do? Go and buy games I don't want, just so I can return them?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stop other people from buying games you have no interest in but also have the odd micro transaction/early access thingy. For the good of the industry.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Speedhaak wrote:
    It's been a great year for gaming. You need to recalibrate your sensors, one bad game coming out doesn't mean the industry is fucked and in need of a major redress.
    In my fuck. Not only have Bethseda tarnished their brand and the Fallout franchise, EA have gotten more aggressive with pre-launch tactics by offering multiple game packages with multiple launch windows for each. A practise I am sure other publishers will now follow. 'Give us 80 bucks instead of 60 and you can play our games 10 days early' - questionable enough for single player games but multiplayer ones, such as Battlefield V and Anthem, where you gain significant advantages by being in early? Yeah, great year. Then there's Namco, forcing people to pay for season passes and ultimate super duper editions to gain access to characters. And guess what, Soul Calibur's Tira happens to be a top tier competitive character. Tough though, you'll need to pay close to 100 Euro to get her.  Assassins Creed, a game designed around shoehorning people into buy an XP boost by creating the most monumental grind imaginable that conveniently enough can be lulled by spending 10 bucks on a PERMANENT xp boost, a permanent one. And by the way, this is a common consensus. I could go on but I know half of it won't be read or will be met without a dismissive comment so I'll just leave it there.
    I’m still fairly sympathetic towards publishers trying to get a bit more money from sales in these days of ballooning budgets so am not overly concerned by, for instance, early access for extra money (those MP focused games, the advantage from EA erodes pretty quickly and becomes much more about how much free time you have). Nor am I particularly concerned about XP boosts if they only affect the SP of a game assuming it’s balanced correctly. If these truly are optional and help keep a dev’s lights on, then fair play. But yes, locked characters, multiple packages and enforced grind can all get to fuck.

Besides the xp booster is in no way needed in AC. I guess it's there for people who want to just play through the story and trade it but if you explore and interact with the plentiful activities.. there's no need for grind at all. I'm level 45 after 75 hours play.. which mean I'm getting a level up every couple of hours.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Didn't call you a pleb dude, I was referring to Jason Schreier who appears to be someone who is extremely jealous of the platform some YouTubers seem to have found themselves on. Specifically those who are calling out all the bullshit acrop in the industry at the moment.

The Assassins Creed issue stems from the potential outcome that Ubisoft developed the game with the experience gain rate of the XP booster in mind then deliberately modified the rate of growth in the live game to encourage people to buy the XP booster (which in most games, at least once's I have played, only last for a few hours) which permanently increases your rate experience rate to align with the intended design.

Of course no one can prove this, it's only speculation. 

Also, I'm not foaming at the mouth either, I just feel passionately about how the games industry seems to be getting away with all this, especially (and I've only myself to blame for this....idiot) when you consider we had to nearly pay 130 Euro for Bungie to fix Destiny and essentially revert it back to Destiny 1. Sigh...
  • Stop other people from buying games you have no interest in but also have the odd micro transaction/early access thingy. For the good of the industry.

Like, just stand in Game and tell randoms not to buy things? I'm not sure that'd go down too well.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Speedhaak wrote:
    In my fuck. Not only have Bethseda tarnished their brand and the Fallout franchise, EA have gotten more aggressive with pre-launch tactics by offering multiple game packages with multiple launch windows for each. A practise I am sure other publishers will now follow. 'Give us 80 bucks instead of 60 and you can play our games 10 days early' - questionable enough for single player games but multiplayer ones, such as Battlefield V and Anthem, where you gain significant advantages by being in early? Yeah, great year. Then there's Namco, forcing people to pay for season passes and ultimate super duper editions to gain access to characters. And guess what, Soul Calibur's Tira happens to be a top tier competitive character. Tough though, you'll need to pay close to 100 Euro to get her.  Assassins Creed, a game designed around shoehorning people into buy an XP boost by creating the most monumental grind imaginable that conveniently enough can be lulled by spending 10 bucks on a PERMANENT xp boost, a permanent one. And by the way, this is a common consensus. I could go on but I know half of it won't be read or will be met without a dismissive comment so I'll just leave it there.
    I’m still fairly sympathetic towards publishers trying to get a bit more money from sales in these days of ballooning budgets so am not overly concerned by, for instance, early access for extra money (those MP focused games, the advantage from EA erodes pretty quickly and becomes much more about how much free time you have). Nor am I particularly concerned about XP boosts if they only affect the SP of a game assuming it’s balanced correctly. If these truly are optional and help keep a dev’s lights on, then fair play. But yes, locked characters, multiple packages and enforced grind can all get to fuck.
    Besides the xp booster is in no way needed in AC. I guess it's there for people who want to just play through the story and trade it but if you explore and interact with the plentiful activities.. there's no need for grind at all. I'm level 45 after 75 hours play.. which mean I'm getting a level up every couple of hours.

Yeah this should be the way the game launches, like most open world games. Side quests should be, ya know, side quests. Optional. Not mandatory.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Stop other people from buying games you have no interest in but also have the odd micro transaction/early access thingy. For the good of the industry.

Like, just stand in Game and tell randoms not to buy things? I'm not sure that'd go down too well.

It's for their own good.

@haak there's crossed wires with the pleb thing. I didn't thing you'd called me one, more that I took your "another pleb" comment to mean that you thought I'd implied you were a pleb. Shrugs all round.
  • Timely rant from Sterling this afternoon...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • 47gig Fallout76 patch is utterly worthless shocker...

• AJ wrote:

Give it a go this weekend and tell us how you got on.
  • I have Beat Saber, everything else is on hold.
  • Already down to £19.39 at cdkeys. It’s not doing well, is it.
  • Already £30 on console in shops. I think I saw one place selling it for £26.
  • Generally when games flop like this I'm interested at the 5 quid point out of morbid curiosity.
    This though? Nah, it isn't even comically bad.
  • Boy, Joe sure is angry about this pile of shite...

• Oooh. I have been waiting for his review.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I was only going to watch a few minutes of that video and suddenly BOOM! it’s forty minutes later. It’s probably the best thing that has anything to do with F76. What a car crash that game is.
    Get schwifty.
  • Great vid, that. If nothing else, Fallout 76 has given us some of the most entertaining reviews in a good while.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm no fan of angry Joe, seems another personality who goes exponential a la Dr D in order to get the Bois foaming at the mouth. He's the quintessential fucknut youtuber.

That said.

Over 40 minutes...

He has produced a good argument.

Next time tho, edit it down to 10 so you're not just after the monetisation. Didn't need to be shouted at for 32 of those minutes. Much like Kojima, sometimes these creatives need a damn good editor.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He also needs to get another t shirt.
  • It's his schtick innit. I get why a lot of people won't like him, but he has a large audience, and he still calls it like he sees it, which in the current climate can only be a good thing.
  • I only watch the first 10 minutes or so, and it seems he's stitching other commentators vids together and calling it his own?  The danger of these types of critiques is that Bethesda apologists are using them to defend the company from this 'wave of hate' that they are being subjected to.    It's ok to be shouty and angry, but too much of it plays into the hands of Bethesda really.

The game is shit.  Let's leave it at that.  The 'cautious optimism' I stated in the OP now seems woefully (and embarrassingly) misplaced, to say the least.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!