Trials Rising - February 2019
  • Ish on that point - the Pripyat run is 2nd or 3rd time I hit the first shortcut. I just wanted to practice the shortcut at the end, but watched a replay and saw someone doing that at the start. Wondered if it was why the diamond time was so much faster than mine and tried to hit it a few times.

Turns out it's not the <only> reason the diamond times are so fast, but still. I reckon I can take another second or so off without too much grinding. Or... you know... like 5 hours or something.

Goal at the moment is top 200 on every track, so time to move on. I've still got plenty of runs in 4 digits to improve.
  • The start of this track is absolutely obnoxious, and yet I couldn't stop bottling the end. This is the first run where I don't bottle it. I think I'm good for the diamond with more of a grind, but it's not a great track or a fun track by any stretch.

• I wish I was good at this more than I wish I was good at any other game series ever.  The top players on here are so ridiculously good at this game they should sleep soundly at night knowing that they're fucking awesome at something genuinely worth becoming awesome at.  Quality stuff.
  • Me too mate, me too.
  • Just got to the medium tracks. Soooooooo fun
  • Glad you're enjoying it. I wish Trials had a slightly wider reach - I'm worried this will be the last one we ever see.
  • It does seem to have reached the digital sales quicker than usual.
  • All the shit talking about the bugs and UI doesn’t help, but it’s an absolute travesty. Here’s hoping things are fixed for the next patch, and the game is in perfect ship shape for the next dlc in August.
  • Does the Gold edition have all dlc included or just the first round?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    voices wrote:
    All the shit talking about the bugs and UI doesn’t help, but it’s an absolute travesty. Here’s hoping things are fixed for the next patch, and the game is in perfect ship shape for the next dlc in August.

I think its being optimistic, Fusion still had issues prior to this release sadly.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Does the Gold edition have all dlc included or just the first round?

Just the one to date and the next one, but it looks like it’s a big one coming up.

There is absolutely zero chance that they will fix everything. If they just remove the cheaters and fix the replays I’ll be happy. The UI ship has sailed I fear.

• Another goodish run. This track has a super technical line, which I'm not sure if I love or hate. I can certainly see a lot more time to come off, but I can't really make my hands do it. In particular, I've found the squishy bunny hop into the big rear wheel bounce about 2/3rds of the way through pretty hard to hit consistently.  

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Spoiler:

FTFY.
  • Had most of the day to myself yesterday so I went back in on this quite heavily.  Trying to get the single player done, but there's so much grinding.  I'm up to level 85 but I've just been bob-a-jobbing with contracts since level 79.  The next stadium event requires level 88 to enter.  I had to do this shit to get into the previous one too.  Obviously this has been covered in here, I've moaned about it enough myself, but what a ridiculous structure.  Just give me tracks, smh.  

Fundamentally a great game though, I part exchanged the Bone version with djornson when I bought his old telly, so I'm still styling it out on Switch.  I have enjoyed a couple of the contracts in fairness - some of the 5000 star tasks require a few attempts (although anything where you have to remain inverted for a set amount of time can fuck off for the most part).  Console clock has ticked into the 40hrs zone I believe, so I've definitely had my money's worth from it, but I will have to throw the towel in for the Extreme tracks with crumbling analogue sticks and digital triggers (can't get to grips with dual stick control).  It's good, but it should've been the best Trials since Evo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've been playing this on switch because it was on sale and a good game for a subway ride. Short takeaway is don't fucking buy it on the switch. The little presses you need for the acceleration are impossible. It has some of the coolest levels trials has ever done but this system is an actual BAD UN.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That might be me being a snob but being raised on 360 I know what I need go away keyboard boys
  • Have you tried using the right stick for throttle?  If you can get used to it it'll give you precise control, but it felt wrong to me in the end so I went back to the on/off triggers.  I'm a sucker for handheld but 30fps is no way to play Trials really, I should give myself a good talking to.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've gone back to it a bit more to get some platinums. Racing is still amazing but everything around it is a fucking mess.
  • I'll go back when the new DLC comes out. It's the best Trials for speed running, but the worst for UI. The ninja community is more or less dead too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I did put in the effort to beat two of your times but can see you've grinded a good few.
    Some solid runs there man
  • Which ones were you looking at? I've tried to get most into the top 200ish, which is where the grind changes into a slog. I don't think I've been particularly rigorous in doing it though, which is partly due to how bad the UI is for checking your own times.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I was just going through one by one getting plat. Think the two I've took are easy tracks, tbf one of your times on em was an old April run.

Saw a few and I'm like .5 behind. Cant be fucked with most the effort lol
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I did a (admittedly easy) Diamond

• So release date is tomorrow for the second DLC, except there is complete silence from the developer. Have we even seen the extra tracks they said would be free, except they weren't?

I hope when all the dust settles, we look back and think this was a great game.
  • Dlc is good. The extremes are very difficult, which I think is typical from the past expansions. I'm being careful not to get obsessed with it, but might find it difficult not to.

Also back up to global rank 300ish after whizzing through the tracks (down from 200ish when I last played, prior to the dlc). The more casuals that buy the game the better that sounds.
  • Played this a fair bit over the past week, and managed to beat the first DLC ninja, 'Rise of the Ninja'. The vertical section absolutely kicked my ass - I spent 20 minutes of my successful run getting past that section, and beat the course in something like 29 minutes 30 (the ticker was counting me down to time out). I've spent at least an hour on that section in total not including that 20 minutes...

Skill up on throttle control. I'm happy.

The vertical section wouldn't be SO bad (it's still stupidly hard for me) if there wasn't a really difficult box climb just before it. It took me ages to get the hang of climbing that little box - like the jump in brown boxes all those years ago (actually a lot harder - brown boxes maybe took 1 run to get).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Awesome dude! Fair play.  I've barely touched it in ages, still watch loads on twitch though.

• Getting a bit better at this ninja thing. The hardest obstacle is now the first, which is a pain, but I can do it something like 1 in 10 or 20 times now, so it's not too frustrating.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!