RIP Mostly. Fundraising link in OP.
  • Gav maybe?

Thanks, but definitely not me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The only reason that we’re getting to this stage is because we’ve endured for so long, that’s something to be celebrated despite the pain caused by moments like these.

Nicely put, Yoss.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    RIP Mostly, you were a lovely fella.
  • Sad news. Rest in peace Mostly.
  • One of the most inspiring and articulate posters on here, a real loss to our community. Lots of love and hugs to his friends and family. Sleep well M0stly you left an indelible mark on our little corner of the internet x
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Ugh, shite.

No more dying please.
  • Awful news. Condolences to his family and friends. Only really knew him from his posts on here but it's clear he was one of the good ones, he will be missed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Very sad news. It's troubling to me that this community is getting to that stage where people are being lost. I feel for those closest to him here and send my thoughts to his family.

Rest easy dude.
    Yossarian wrote:
    The only reason that we’re getting to this stage is because we’ve endured for so long, that’s something to be celebrated despite the pain caused by moments like these.

Yep, I suppose it's something we should try to get our collective heads around. Many of us are old as fuck and despite our own particular grievances we're still knocking about and enjoying daft video games together.

Hopefully the memory of Mos and Gunn will be a positive counter to the stupid shite we fling at one another.
  • Really sad news. Thoughts out to everyone close to him x
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Hopefully the memory of Mos and Gunn will be a positive counter to the stupid shite we fling at one another.

So true. Life's too bloody short for all this nonsense.
  • Shit. Very sad to read this, thoughts to all those that were close to him.
  • I've enjoyed many a ramble chat with Rob over a number of years. 

He always came across as a thoroughly decent chap. 

Sad news indeed.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • R.I.P Mos. My thoughts & hugs to his close ones.

Fuck cancer.
  • RIP Most - always a nice guy
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Right, now I've had some time to process this, I can write about it without becoming a complete wreck.

Rob was an absolute diamond. I met him at Halostock (I believe that he was on a sofa opposite me, but I could be misremembering that, I was quite drunk by that stage.) and he was funny, charming, and had fantastic hair. I'd played Halo with him a few times, but didn't know him that well at the time.

That changed with Destiny. Even if we weren't playing together, I'd often chat to him in a party, and we'd frequently fail to get a raid together. The mornings chatting to him and Cinty were an absolute pleasure. Just had a look at our last crucible match, which it turns out was a win on Control with Cinty as well. I quite like that we went out on a win as it were.

I think we probably spent more time not playing than playing, but he was such an easy fellow to talk to. I mean, just look at this:
    This terminal cancer thing is extremely inconvenient.

Anyway, apparently I can't write this without tearing up and I'm at work so I'll just leave it at this. I miss you Rob.

1250504511224613478.gif
  • The mornings chatting to him and Cinty were an absolute pleasure. Just had a look at our last crucible match, which it turns out was a win on Control with Cinty as well. I quite like that we went out on a win as it were.

I had no idea, but that means a huge amount to me. Thank you.
  • Genuinely, I needed that. Thanks.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Lovely words Dante. Let's hope Rob is a Ghost res away, or if nothing else he's dancing up there in the stars.
  • This is absolutely gutting. Rob was a pillar for me at some particularly bad times over the last year, offering support and advice on many things I was struggling with. As others have said, his ability to be positive and full of good humour was something to behold, and the fact that he seemed to genuinely care more about my problems than his own was extremely humbling; I don't think I could do the same, but if I ever find myself in that position I'll do my best to channel even a little of his character.

I met up with Rob over Christmas last year for a few pints and a pub roast, and hearing him describe the severity of his illness, all with the usual smile and cheeky glint, was tough enough for me, so I can't imagine what it's like for his family and close friends.

I last got a message from him back in April, casually saying sorry that he hadn't been in touch for a while, he'd had to go to hospital, then going on to say how happy he was that things were turning around for me. It was such a nice message yet sent in the shadow of such sadness, it made me cry, so much so that I hadn't replied yet, still waiting and trying to think of the words. I'm gutted that I didn't get back to him sooner, although I know that he'd just tell me not to sweat it, and that he's made up that I'm happy. In fact, me being happy and enjoying new beginnings is probably the best thing I can do for him now, so that's what I'll do.

We initially bonded on a Londonstock as we're both from Blackpool, but it's his warmth and genuine care for others that made the man so loved and admired. I mean, I only met him in person twice yet his passing has totally knocked me.

I raised a glass last night, doubt it'll be the last one I raise to the fine man. Rest easy, mate.

Shabs - thanks for the pics, great memories.
  • Not getting back to people or falling out of touch with people is something that happens to me a lot, I think. It's ok because the time you're in contact is more important in the time you're not. 

I feel terrible for having no real conception of how bad Rob's situation was. The illness thread is one I rarely visit. 

None of this changes how much of a generous and great gent he was. God knows if anyone can play Dota and come out the other side cheerful and positive they must be pretty special.
  • Hugs Dante and Nick. Beautiful words from both of you guys.

He was one of those people that left a lasting impression no matter how brief your encounter with him was.

And Tempy, if judging from his posts in the illness thread it was quite a sudden and extreme return of his illness. It was hard for any of us to gauge the exact severity because of the positivity he put into his posts. Don't be hard on yourself.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He was trying to keep the severity quiet. When he mentioned to me that he was moving into a hospice a little before the last Londonstock he claimed that it was only to help get him back on his feet and he would be out and about soon. Clearly this wasn’t the case.
  • Hospice is bad as it's palliative care.
    Usually means end of the line.....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Hospice is bad as it's palliative care.

Mostly has been honest about his treatment being palliative for some time, unfortunately.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Not getting back to people or falling out of touch with people is something that happens to me a lot, I think. It's ok because the time you're in contact is more important in the time you're not.  I feel terrible for having no real conception of how bad Rob's situation was. The illness thread is one I rarely visit.  None of this changes how much of a generous and great gent he was. God knows if anyone can play Dota and come out the other side cheerful and positive they must be pretty special.

To be fair this is me too. I am very bad for keeping in touch and there are only a handful of threads I visit regularly, mainly due to time and just not spending as much of my day on the computer any more. 

Having said that it's great the resource is there for people. I'm sure every one who participates in threads like that appreciates it massively.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Can’t believe I’m logging back into this, awful news :(

Rob was a great gaming comrade I enjoyed many sessions with but more importantly he was a really kind soul, always around when people needed help or feeling down. Was there for me more than once.

RIP Rob, can’t believe I’m even writing that.
  • hunk wrote:
    Hospice is bad as it's palliative care.

Mostly has been honest about his treatment being palliative for some time, unfortunately.

Ah, must've been bad then.
    Hospice is a one way street, people usually only check in when they're dying or about to die. There is no rebound; not usually there is. Can't imagine how he must've felt knowing the end was near.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Mos certainly took this thing like a man.

I'd be dragged out of this world fucking kicking and screaming at the whole world, with lots of sobbing and begging thrown in

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!