B&B DnD or P&P RPG, potentially? Apparently Definitely.
  • Cheers, Temps, I remember seeing that now but been bouncing back and forth on the PHB and getting woefully lost.

Edit: missed the last couple of lines on your post which is completely helpful and now I know what I'm doing! (sort of)
  • Is this your own world Temps or we in Faerun or what's what, huh?
  • Unless I change my mind in the next week, it’ll be in Barovia
  • I don't know what that is.

I'm finishing my character today. Salazar Scaramax. He's a half-hobbit, half-owlbear Warlock with four mechanical limbs powered by a crystal that he's secretly hidden in Roujin's character's topknot and he has a sword that does + 5 awesome damage to dragons and ghosts. He only goes by the name 'Power King Flex' and I'm rolling him at level 8.
  • A level 2 druid knows 2 cantrips and has 3 level 1 spell slots.  I've got an extra cantrip from being a tiefling.  I found it quite frustrating jumping about the spell list so I created a google sheets with the spells that are available to me at level 2 (minus the cantrips), link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jhfdC-2SMZ4gT0yVfhgoDXE-K2qITVOWkFVutEV6uhg/edit#gid=0 

If this is going to be useful to you, Tempy, use the dropbox email to get in.  

Final upload has gone up, I'm ready to adventure.
  • Tempy - have put new sheet on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm going to have to bail this week. Critical hit to family means I can't give up the time right now.

Sorry, all. Was really looking forward to this.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hopefully whatever happened has calmed down a bit Tiger, would have been ace to have you around as well.

Re uploaded my sheet with skills filled in, still don't know what numbers to add in the saving throws and skills lists. I have some time in the morning @Tempy if you can explain it to me (or even just saying where in the PHB I can find it, I've read all the chapters that are useful to me a couple times now).
  • I'll get on it in the morning for sure guys.
  • Err, yeah, lemme know what I've missed out. I don't remember putting in numbers for saving throws and probably missed other bits on the sheet too.

Are we going to do this over discord?
  • Just a side question out of curiosity (and not a request for my benefit) but do these things come with any 'pre made' characters that people can just pick up and play as?
    I appreciate that obviously part of the joy is in the role playing as your character, so it's maybe not the optimum way to play...but all of this extended prep everyone has to do is something that i think puts a lot of people off even trying these games.
    Just wondering if (theoretically) it's possible to basically just turn up and play? Pick a 'card from the deck' and that's your character for tonight - you're George the Goblin with a sweet tooth, an oversized cutlass and a fear of fairies...Go!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There are plenty of pre-mades out there, there are also lots of sites and apps dedicated to rolling characters. Generally the tables in the PHB with background info for you characters will have dice values assigned so you can roll for them
  • I was thinking more as an 'out of the box' thing (not that I even know if there IS a box)...
    like, say a few of your friends turn up at yours, but instead of playing console games they're like "hey temps, how about we have a game of that DnD you're always talking about?". Are you going to be "sure, gimme 5 mins to grab my book and clear the table..." or is it more "ok, here's a copy of the handbook for you each to read through...then we'll go on the pc and search for some character profiles you could use...then we need to do..."? 
    and in this scenario I'm assuming you hadn't pre-planned hoping this might happen! ;)
  • George the goblin sounds better than my character already.
  • Like I said, there are plenty of pre-mades out there. The starter set comes with 5 characters in it and a whole campaign. People make characters online for free, WotC probably have a bunch of chatacters, they certainly have plenty of campaigns.

The DM will always need to invest time in reading even pre-made campaigns otherwise they’ll flounder and downtime will ruin stuff.

In reality there are other, faster systems that facilitate that kind of pick up and play style much better than DnD, which is meant to be a long form collaborative experience. Things like Fiasco bake character fraction and scenario creation together so they can be played in one sitting, there are others too.

A large part of the fun in DnD is levelling your characters and choosing their pathways. One shots can often remove that but they usually have one or two levelling spots.
  • ok, cheers Tempy. Hope none of that came off to flippant or disrespectful. Fiasco sounds interesting, might look into that.

George the goblin is for available for hire! ;)
  • Is it going to be possible to listen in to this even if I'm not playing? Or is that weird?
    Just thought there might be time where our schedule aligned and I'm interested to hear how it goes.
  • I think Rouj is streaming it...

Tonight? at 8? Maybe?

I somehow thought it was tomorrow. I am still happy to forge ahead.
  • Sorry no strim today, I didn't have time to setup any overlays or stuff for it, once I've done some and got the gist of what would be on screen then I'll knock something up.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • But also yes, I believe we are starting at 8PM. 

Are there discord details? I am a discord noob so you can all enjoy that shit on top of my hopeless noob dungeoneering skill.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm also not great at discord but I have managed to bumble my way to a voice chat before, so I'm sure I can do it again!

I've printed off all the character sheets. So very much looking forward to meeting them all.
  • Currently just getting to grips with Roll20 to make things simpler.

I think you'll all need accounts there, if you could kindly do so!
  • Okay I did an account on Roll 20 and do I need to make friends with people on discord or wot?
  • This sounds really fun. I hope you guys have an absolute blast.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Okay I did an account on Roll 20 and do I need to make friends with people on discord or wot?

Not sure, I need access to the B&B discord too. I am currently importing eveyone's character sheets to roll 20. It's 50% amazing and 50% the fuckin' worst!
  • Account created. First name: hands of last name: blue
  • Rouj bud - your divine domain locks in bless and cure wounds, but you also have 4 other spells you can have prepared at any one time (class level + wisdom modifier) so have a think about what spells you want.
  • Matty you need to cut your spells list down to 3 as it's Level halved + charisma bonus for you - i'll stick all of them on the Roll20 sheet so you can chop and change at will. Apart from the Smites, which Roll20 doesn't have.

For those worrying - this is just the kind of stuff that would eat into a first session so I am getting it out of the way now. Should have done it earlier but I didn't think I'd be trying Roll2o
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Sorry no strim today, I didn't have time to setup any overlays or stuff for it, once I've done some and got the gist of what would be on screen then I'll knock something up.

Ah come on Rouj, fuck the overlays and go raw. Has Jones rolled his own character?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Matty you need to cut your spells list down to 3 as it's Level halved + charisma bonus for you - i'll stick all of them on the Roll20 sheet so you can chop and change at will. Apart from the Smites, which Roll20 doesn't have.

For those worrying - this is just the kind of stuff that would eat into a first session so I am getting it out of the way now. Should have done it earlier but I didn't think I'd be trying Roll2o

Ahh okay. I wasn't sure how many I had. Ta.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!