The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • It wasn't.
  • New Steps album out tomorrow for ya Brooksie.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Better best forgotten.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Roll on FNF, can barely contain this mirth.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • John Prine at the London Palladium tomorrow, which is about as good as it gets for me.  

Worth a watch, even if it's just to experience the worst Youtube has to offer in terms of fanmade 'here's a picture of what he says' music videos:

• Ron sexsmith has released the same dozen songs again, if that floats your boat.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Quite liking Joanna Newsom:

Can imagine going off her vocals though, as I find with Bjork after a while, as quite unique and distinct.

Never heard her before.

Also, this is awesome:

She covers loads of metal. Plays the rhythm, guitar, vocals etc. at the same time.

SOAD particularly well suited I find as it's very melodic, and tankian plays the piano - which you can tell in their earlier tunes (written more by him).
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • You'll probably like this

• @Tempy yeah that's awesome, cheers. Tool and slap guitar, quality.

Vika's done some Tool too.

I started with Tool, although think it was mostly 10,000 days I liked.
    Then A Perfect Circle
    Then Puscifer, which I mostly listen to now.

Metal's great when it's played soft I find.
    Either by the bands themselves - e.g. Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, or Opeth's softer output
    Or covered - piano, accoustic, female vocals etc.

You can end up with something no harder in sound than pop/rock, but with a darker edge from the metal roots, greater complexity etc.

Youtube's a goldmine for it.
  • 10,000 days has the best grooves, but Lateralus is the better album overall. 

Mastodon are pretty much the only metal album that have really grasped. Dirty rhythmic sludge metal, probably heavier than you're into but they tick my boxes. Concept albums about Rasputin, Moby Dick, Cursed Sultans etc. The Last Baron has more interesting riffs in one song than some bands put out in their entire career.

• Yeah Lateralus was great. May have been their first two I didn't listen to much. Haven't listened to Tool for a while, go through phases.

Will check out Mastodon cheers.
    Not too heavy, although vocals may take some time to acquire a taste for.

Mentioned these guys before but can highly recommend Colour Haze:

Sludgy stoner/desert rock. They've perfected their sound. Each song and album blends into the next really. You can just listen to it endlessly as an ambient soundtrack.

But yeah, still listen to SOAD, sure I'll revisit Tool. Used to listen to a lot of Dream Theater, but stopped around a decade ago.

Tend to explore in cross over or other areas with metal/rock

Recently:

And Jazz inflected stuff:

But most recently been listening to a lot of comedy music, a sprinkling of SOAD, and trip hop and bit of hip hop.
    The only thing I don't tend to listen to is mainstream commercial music or for some reason indie. The former for obvious reasons but the latter just doesn't seem to happen.

Mike Patton was a nice recent discovery. He plays in that commercial/big, but alt space I tend to find myself in. Like Puscifer.
  • Whole bunch of Tool just got released for the first time on vinyl on Friday there. They are not fucking around with the packaging, or the pricing.
  • How much is 10,000 days? I have the Lateralus one from like 10 years ago, its ace. 

Not my picture:

tool-lateralus-11432806472.png

edit: i've just seen on HMV online that the Lateralus vinyl is £75? What the fuck? Is it a Radiohead/Mogwai style big box? My LP cos me like £20.
  • Colleague saw me looking at Mastodon/Tool stuff on this page and wants me to tell my internet boyfriends to give Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard a go.  They're not too similar apparently, but he's a massive fan of the other two and likes the Mammoths.
  • Failing that, Baroness is the back-up recommendation.
  • I've tried Baroness but like Ghost they don't grab me
  • Cheers Moot, that's a good recommendation!

Sludgy doom with female vocals.

Always on the look out for for female vocal rock/metal - especially progressive folk rock/metal.

Sadly loads of female fronted metal is operatic, ala Nightwish etc. which I'm really not a fan of (especially the vocal style).
  • No probs.  I liked the album I've heard. 

Just treated myself to DAMN. because I want to put it through my amp/DAC combo.  Been listening on free Spotify and I've got high hopes for greatness.  As it's payday I also ordered Dan Auerbach's new solo album (first one was fantastic imo, and his guests for this one include John Prine, Duane Eddy and good old Mark Knopfler), plus Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton's incoming efforts. 

Had Father John Misty and Courtney Marie Andrews albums arrive this week, so I should be sorted for a while.
  • And if we're doing solo covers, I saw her perform this last week and she it was lovely.

• As far as Tool are concerned I was always an Opiate/Undertow/Aenima fan. Never managed to get into anything after that - Lateralus and 10,000 Days just didn't grab me at all. Think it was a combination of moving onto other music and being in a bit of a huff with them after they cancelled two tour dates, about 5yrs apart, that is bought tickets for.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Some random playlist I really like.
    Puurrrrrrfect Chillout music.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Gremill wrote:
    As far as Tool are concerned I was always an Opiate/Undertow/Aenima fan. Never managed to get into anything after that - Lateralus and 10,000 Days just didn't grab me at all. Think it was a combination of moving onto other music and being in a bit of a huff with them after they cancelled two tour dates, about 5yrs apart, that is bought tickets for.

Those are theee great albums though and Aenima probably marks the point where they were right in the middle of the harsher and more proggy ends of their spectrum.

Shame about the tour dates though, I managed to see them in Nottingham with a pre-Blood Mountain Mastodon. Still remember feeling brutalised by Dailor's wee spotty jazz drum kit.

Imagine if Tool ever made that 7th album? They're obviously pulling out all the stops with it because it's a special mystic number.
  • There's rumours of a return isn't there? They're doing festivals in the US I heard.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • @hunk Nice one.

Trip hop's my go to for working music.

Was going to recommend Confused Bi-Product of a Misinformed Culture on YouTube, he does loads of mixes, like this:

Well worth subscribing to.

On the metal front, this guys great too:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/StonedMeadowOfDoom93
  • Gremill wrote:
    There's rumours of a return isn't there? They're doing festivals in the US I heard.

Last I heard they were waiting for Keenan to add vocals. But he needs the music to write the lyrics for, so not sure.

They're performing end of May to end of June in the US apparently.

The whole legal stuff they had to deal with seems horrendous.

That got in the way for a long time I think, and Keenan focused on Puscifer.
  • @Dan
    Aye, it's an excellent playlist alright. Not only the track selection but also the mix itself. Grade A stuff, will keep an eye out for this guy on Soundcloud/Spotify.
    Will check out beat therapy as well.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Having a lovely time with a bit of Jacknife Lee in the studio this morning. Perennially under-appreciated, that guy. Punk Rock High Roller was a glorious album.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!