The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Also, why do we prefix stuff with UK when there isn't any sort? UK garage, UK grime... there isn't any other kind!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_house

I haven’t heard UK before Grime before.
  • Bob wrote:
    RHCP - Stadium Arcadium. Way better than it has any right to be and my go to RHCP album. Frisciantes work is amazing apparently channeling a challenge from Bjork that guitar music was over.

It's great, listened to it a lot recently - kept skipping the other albums and just relistening to Stadium Arcadium.
    You can hear a lot more of Frusciante's influence in it, but unlike his solo work it's still funky and upbeat.

I didn't like it that much before, preferring the stuff that came before it, but now it's my go to too.

Shame about their new album, but it's a lot better than I'm With You I think.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come to think of it, my memory is that speed garage arrived before UK garage too.
  • Pretty sure the term "US garage" was banded around for a few years, thus why UK had to be specified. US garage somewhere between garage and house, wasn't it.

• This album is a bit naff lyrically but it's really taking me back to the early 90s. I'm sure Brooks will have something disparaging to say about it!
  • Can't be arsed to even hit play.

That new Sophie tune is alright.
  • I've had a tedious day sat in work wading through insurance reports and blood results.  In attempt to maintain my sanity I've been listening to a slightly odd combination of the new St Vincent album, and The Surfing Magazines.  

The St Vincent offering is great, but unlikely to win over any previous doubters.  It's a solid pop record with art-rock trappings that elevate it to something more.  I maintain her records improved substantially after her collaboration with David Byrne, and you can still feel that influence here.

Surfing Magazines is a pretty different beast.  Garage Americana, but with lyrics about Monster Munch.  The band consists of members of Wave Pictures and Slow Club, and the album makes a fine accompaniment to a Sunday afternoon.  There's nothing here you haven't heard before, truth be told, but it's rendered damn well, and it's one of the few records where I'm happy to overlook a bit of noodling...

• That David Byrne St Vincent album is unbelievable.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://youtu.be/dFBTh9EWCr8

Ecca vandal. One for cocko and gav I woulda thought. Good fun.
  • Listening to The Queen is Dead a lot by The Smiths.

To be sure a 7 if ever there was one.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Facewon wrote:
    https://youtu.be/dFBTh9EWCr8

Ecca vandal. One for cocko and gav I woulda thought. Good fun.
    Will get on that. Cheers.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Was pretty fun, made me think of Sonic Boom Six, but heavier and Americaner (I know not a word, but it rolled out)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Man, trying random stuff in new releases on Google. Been a good year, but fuck me there's some blah trash around.
  • Liam album is hilarious. His voice is great. Catchy enough, but the lyrics, I'm convinced were written using a "random idiom generator."
  • Bob wrote:
    While I'm on about tuneless shit the new Bjork single is fucking awful.

Missed this first time round....
    cockbeard wrote:
    Here comes cinty

Damn straight!

Bob is wrong and bad and should feel bad and the new Björk is perfect.
  • The one where she strangled a cat for five minutes?
  • I think you’re confusing her new song with the Triumph of a Heart video where she was in a relationship with a cat. Rookie mistake.
  • Really been enjoying listening to the various shows on https://www.nts.live/ over the last couple of months. Right now I'm really really digging Sacred Pools which is live on Ch.2. Mad noisy industrial punk stuff I'm not normally exposed to, but I'm having a blast with this! The shows and NTS in general are super variable though so if you tune in at a later time it will be something totally different and possibly offensive to sensibilities.
  • I've been to the Prince exhibition at the O2 today. If you are in London, and like Prince, you should go.

It's really well done. Biggest takeaway - Prince was small.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Srsly this shit is in the same bracket as swing covers.

The bad stuff's awful and gives retrowave a bad name. Most of retrowave is the bad stuff.

ZMM wrote:
    US garage somewhere between garage and house, wasn't it.

Lean-to.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    The one where she strangled a cat for five minutes?
    She's also foreign Bob.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Does that mean she ate it after?

The Cure - Disintegration

What a slam dunk 10 out of 10 classic. Perfect in the car turned up loud
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Does that mean she ate it after?
    Did you ever think you'd turn out like this
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A year since the first track was out in the wild to test the water, the first album is here

https://open.spotify.com/album/7HN9oHogYUDhIJPtnHEgPP

I'll sound a hypocrite now, the amount of time I've said I've very little time for Radiohead, and that Muse just sounded like a goth/metal Radiohead. Well in many ways so do these guys. Like almost everything Steve does it's a lovely piece of production, in some past projects (Spycatcher I'm looking at you) the production has been given too much of a front seat, and whilst this sounds both expansive and expensive, it's not a self congratulatory advert for Titan Studios

So yeah, people will sell it based on the previous bands of the members, and whilst that is relevant, don't expect a mosh pit. Yes there are Gallows, Sikth and Cry For Silence, but those bands were big over 15 years ago, shit guys, we done got old. This has all the tech you'd expect from metal fans, but coupled with a really ethereal feel. My favourite tracks are the more simple ones, building a big soundscape, layer by layer, and slamming the chord changes and simple lyrics down your throat at the same time, often followed by a crunch or fuzz pedal to remind you that they were metal once, along with the drop d tuning, they really want to make that point clear. Does exactly what it says on the tin, pretty much what I'd expect Uxfest 2001 to sound like if it happened tomorrow

I guess I don't listen to enough of this music to know what to call it, nu-goth, indie-metal, mid-life-core, but I find myself drawn to it. Mikee performed fantastic vocal gymnastics in Sikth, Frank was a frontman and a half for Gallows, but maybe the musicianship got a little lost behind that. The catchy hooks of Spycatcher might also have made you forget that these guys can play. This album isn't prog by any means, they work great live, which sounds weird through my headphones, I guess I wouldn't have kept going if it was no good though

Anyway, I'm biased and slightly invested, make of it what you will
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Does that mean she ate it after?
    Did you ever think you'd turn out like this

When strange things happen, is there Bjorking on the 'list?
  • Bob wrote:
    The Cure - Disintegration

What a slam dunk 10 out of 10 classic. Perfect in the car turned up loud

Great shout - love that album.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've just realised...

• Trying to decide between just disappointment or out right hatred for the production on the new weezer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!