The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • That new Kate tempest is quite a fucking thing.

Warning, pretty darn intense and not exactly filled with levity, as per usual.

Brilliant though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    That new Kate tempest is quite a fucking thing.

Warning, pretty darn intense and not exactly filled with levity, as per usual.

Brilliant though.

Came on to post just this. It's absolutely brilliant, but it's hellish bleak - she captures the overall grimness of modern Britain better than any other artist.

Gamertag: gremill
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve just been to see Stone Temple Pilots.

Yes, I know.

But as tribute bands go, that was pretty fucking great. They played Plush, Interstate Love Song, and Sex Type Thing. I enjoyed it.

Saw them at Download. The singer does a pretty good Scott Weiland impression, but its not the same.
  • I'll give the latest Tempest another go today, wasn't as taken with it as her last two.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll give the latest Tempest another go today, wasn't as taken with it as her last two.

It's less of a coherent narrative than her last two, with fewer obvious 'songs' but lyrically it's in a class of it's own.
  • Just read that it's Rick Rubin on the knobs for this one.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just read that it's Rick Rubin on the knobs for this one.

Hmmm, didn't know that. Even more surprising then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Unreleased album from Miles Davis called Rubberband. Stoked. https://pitchfork.com/news/miles-davis-lost-album-rubberband-set-for-release/
    Yeah. This is news that is good.

One of the tracks was out on an EP that sounds good and interesting. Mid 80s sounds and some vocals with Miles. :)

Fuck me imagine if he and Hendrix had got it together which was hinted at one time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Been listening to a lot of Gavin Clark's stuff this month.  I sort of got myself back into him by recommending him to a mate on a night out, who's proceeded to go potty for everything.  I didn't really know much about him beforehand, just the one Sunhouse album that I love and the fact that Shane Meadows uses him on a few soundtracks.  More pointless info: my sister in law worked in the Red Cross shop in Lewisham in the early '00s, and Crazy on the Weekend was one of the cds that was eventually binned after spending so long in the bargain bin - which meant she brought it home for me.  Cracking album, probably all-time top twenty for me.  

So anyway, did a bit more digging recently and some of his solo work and other projects are great.  There's a Meadows doc on Youtube, turns out they became friends working together at Alton Towers:

He's a bit of a tragic genius/tortured soul anyway, but further reading gets bleak: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/09/gavin-clark

His best songs are brilliant though.  Examples:

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like the new Tempest a lot. I'm glad she decided to change musical direction as more minimal electronica would have been a bit samey, much as I like those albums. She definitely doesn't need to cultivate a musical style anyway.
  • The new Divine Comedy album is being hailed as a return to form be quite a few, but I don’t think it’s that ace so far.

There is one absolutely brilliant track though, Philip and Steve’s Furniture Removal Company, where Hannon comes up with a sitcom where Philip Glass and Steve Reich run a furniture removal company in New York, and he turns the theme tune into a reich/glass composition. Stupid nerdy laughs from me.

The live album that they did a few years back, Loose Canon is amazing though, even has Bad Ambassador on it, belter!
  • New Spoon single is predictably fucking brilliant.
  • When are they ever not?
  • Possibly the most consistent band ever. I’m almost bored of how bloody competent they are. Almost.
  • New Regrettes single is good too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Listened to Cash's Live Folsom Prison album. Had only ever heard the San Quentin one.

This is better. Tried it on Prime first but picked up the CD as this is a good 'un and I'm eyeing up the vinyl that's for sale in HMV.
  • I managed to get both for £1 each in a lucky charity shop haul last year.  Prison title tracks on both are superb.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Idles are teasing something for Monday morning.

https://twitter.com/idlesband/status/1141986739344592896
  • I should illustrate my posts from last night. These are both ace.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dave Gilmour's collection of 127 guitars goes for 21 million at Christie's. 4m for just his black strat. The most money ever paid for a guitar at auction.
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-gilmour-guitar-auction-21-million/

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Related tweet from the singer of Oceansize:
    MINE!!! Cheers Tommy Robinson for all the cash https://twitter.com/Vennart/status/1141986174740946945/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Vennart/status/1141986174740946945
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ooh, cheers for regrettes news, I loved that first record, but thought given their age that it might be novelty and done, but looking forward to hearing the rest now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I’m quite taken with The Regrettes. They’re a one-trick pony, but it’s a catchy trick.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    MINE!!! Cheers Tommy Robinson for all the cash https://twitter.com/Vennart/status/1141986174740946945/photo/1

He was taking the piss as it turns out, plus he's left handed so he couldn't play it anyway. Did get the Tommy Robinson settlement though I think.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Listening to the bonus disc that comes with the anniversary edition of Decksanddrumsandrockandroll by Propellorheads. I played this album obsessively in the car when it came out 20 years ago. Spybreak is great driving music. I consider its use in The Matrix lobby scene to be a mismatch. :(

Not my genre which is why this album is an off piste thing for me but enjoying the 2nd disc so far.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some good choons on that second disc. Two short remixes of History Repeating but the other 11 tracks are new stuff.

Pick so far has been the last track called CRASH! which has snippets of Fluff Freeman's chart pop pickers jingle.

Having this on at a good volume helped me bust 50K on Asteroids Dx which I haven't done in a long time. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Found it again

And yes, in my opinion probably the most important band of my adulthood
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

He was taking the piss as it turns out, plus he's left handed so he couldn't play it anyway. Did get the Tommy Robinson settlement though I think.
    Nope that was also a lol. Good one Mike, fuck SYL either way.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Tempy wrote:
    The new Divine Comedy album is being hailed as a return to form be quite a few, but I don’t think it’s that ace so far. There is one absolutely brilliant track though, Philip and Steve’s Furniture Removal Company, where Hannon comes up with a sitcom where Philip Glass and Steve Reich run a furniture removal company in New York, and he turns the theme tune into a reich/glass composition. Stupid nerdy laughs from me. The live album that they did a few years back, Loose Canon is amazing though, even has Bad Ambassador on it, belter!

I think "return to form" is definitely over stating it (though I guess it depends on what you count as "form" - lots of DC fans love National Express, whilst I think it's one of the low points, so what do I know?) However I do think that it is, at least in parts, Neil back to experimenting and being interested again. (He seemed almost bored on the last couple.)  It also has that common phenomenon with double albums that I reckon there are enough tracks to make a really good "single" album out of it, but that my ideal track listing would likely differ from someone else's.

I'm also a sucker for a concept album, and it comes close enough to being that to get a bonus point from me. (Not only are there recurrent themes, but it becomes apparent after a few listens that many of the tracks reference each other. Though I'm not sure I'm going to forgive him for bringing across Billy Bird, only to murder him.)

Having said all that, yes, Philip and Steve's is most definitely the highlight - it's brilliant, both homage and pastiche, hilarious and beautiful. It also had me simultaneously writing a sitcom in my head, and sent me scurrying off to research the real life Philip Glass and Steve Reich removal company - something I had no idea had ever existed. (Though my wife predictably responded with an "oh yeah, I knew that, there was a BBC radio play about it a few years ago...")

So, yes, it's not a perfect album by any means (oddly, I'm not wildly fond of the two singles), but I thought it bodes well for the future, and left me disappointed I won't be able to see him live this year. It's also the only one of his albums with a reasonable number of tracks I could seriously imagine dancing to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!