The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The new Divine Comedy album is being hailed as a return to form be quite a few, but I don’t think it’s that ace so far. There is one absolutely brilliant track though, Philip and Steve’s Furniture Removal Company, where Hannon comes up with a sitcom where Philip Glass and Steve Reich run a furniture removal company in New York, and he turns the theme tune into a reich/glass composition. Stupid nerdy laughs from me. The live album that they did a few years back, Loose Canon is amazing though, even has Bad Ambassador on it, belter!
    I think "return to form" is definitely over stating it (though I guess it depends on what you count as "form" - lots of DC fans love National Express, whilst I think it's one of the low points, so what do I know?) However I do think that it is, at least in parts, Neil back to experimenting and being interested again. (He seemed almost bored on the last couple.)  It also has that common phenomenon with double albums that I reckon there are enough tracks to make a really good "single" album out of it, but that my ideal track listing would likely differ from someone else's. I'm also a sucker for a concept album, and it comes close enough to being that to get a bonus point from me. (Not only are there recurrent themes, but it becomes apparent after a few listens that many of the tracks reference each other. Though I'm not sure I'm going to forgive him for bringing across Billy Bird, only to murder him.) Having said all that, yes, Philip and Steve's is most definitely the highlight - it's brilliant, both homage and pastiche, hilarious and beautiful. It also had me simultaneously writing a sitcom in my head, and sent me scurrying off to research the real life Philip Glass and Steve Reich removal company - something I had no idea had ever existed. (Though my wife predictably responded with an "oh yeah, I knew that, there was a BBC radio play about it a few years ago...") So, yes, it's not a perfect album by any means (oddly, I'm not wildly fond of the two singles), but I thought it bodes well for the future, and left me disappointed I won't be able to see him live this year. It's also the only one of his albums with a reasonable number of tracks I could seriously imagine dancing to.

I've been listening to Loose Canon a lot, it's really good, would love to see him live so might look into it. I think I basically agree with on all points but one, which is Norman and Norma, which I think is basically perfect. It's warm, witty, romantic, a little bit sad. I think it's in a similar vein as Lady of a Certain Age, not quite as good because Lady of a Certain Age is basically unassailable.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've been listening to Loose Canon a lot, it's really good, would love to see him live so might look into it. I think I basically agree with on all points but one, which is Norman and Norma, which I think is basically perfect. It's warm, witty, romantic, a little bit sad. I think it's in a similar vein as Lady of a Certain Age, not quite as good because Lady of a Certain Age is basically unassailable.

That's almost word for word what I said about Norman and Norma when I first heard it - that’s it’s a not-quite-as-good English Lady of a Certain Age, with an acknowledgement that criticising it for not being as good as a song that is basically perfect is wildly unfair. I can’t help it though, whenever I hear it I find myself reflecting on what it isn’t, rather than what it is.

Meanwhile, if you haven’t seen him live then you really should. Even his weaker tracks come alive, and he’s an obscenely accomplished front man. (Which is to say, he still often fluffs stuff, but he’s such obscenely good company that you won’t care.) The current line up he’s touring with is also a good band in its own right (it’s basically the old members of Pugwash). Hell, if he’s playing a date in your neck of the woods I’ll buy you a ticket myself...
  • Have listened to The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused, an album worshiped by @Yossarian and @Cockbeard.  The band sound great but I can't quite handle the vocals.  I tried, but they just sound like a super-vexed Rage Against the Machine to me and I have problems digesting metallic raaawgh punk metal bounce-around sounds.  Some good tracks, I'll keep The Hives for my Swedish rocksounds though thanks.  I think New Noise or Tannhauser/Derrive were my faves.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well you're wrong but hey ;)

Just had these guys recommended by a mate, and I'm pretty impressed, despite only being a couple of tracks in. 'Black Midi' with 'Schlagenheim', kinda proggy post punk I suppose, lots in there so far
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, I don’t like Refused much either. Sacrilege in punk circles, I know.
  • I’m getting right on board this hype train.

XKUtQ4e.jpg
  • Nick Cave's Red Hand Files are relatively new to me.  Your questions answered, but (of course) he seems thouroughly committed to giving worthwhile responses.  

Example, replying to a writer's block query (after supplying a decent sized chunk of unused lyrics):

This, of course, will not help with your “block”. My advice to you is to change your basic relationship to songwriting. You are not the ‘Great Creator’ of your songs, you are simply their servant, and the songs will come to you when you have adequately prepared yourself to receive them. They are not inside you, unable to get out; rather, they are outside of you, unable to get in. Songs, in my experience, are attracted to an open, playful and motivated mind. Throw my song away – it isn’t that good anyway – sit down, prepare yourself and write your own damn song. You are a songwriter. You have the entire world to save and very little time to do it. The song will find its way to you. If you don’t write it, someone else will. Is that what you want? If not, get to it.

Much love, Nick
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a fantastic site and really lets his skill as a writer shine. I'd love to see one of his new talking shows but I doubt he'll come here.
  • New Thom Yorke solo album out. Nothing totally mind blowing, but it’s well produced electronic stuff with the usually radiohead-style string and bass flourishes that you’d expect.

Twist and Dawn Chorus have resurfaced from his fashion show and past experiments respectively, they’re both great but the stand out is Not The News.I would like to get to the cinema and see the PTA directed short film that’s come along with it, apparently it’s a bit Jacques Tetí.
  • Cool, I’ll give that a listen later.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • A few tracks have a bit of a Liars feel, I know he’s been a fan for years
  • Just watched Anima on Netflix, pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I do. Definitely worth watching with decent sound system or headphones, or cinema of poss.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nice Tiny Desk Concert from Idles.

• All aboard the dadbod express.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They should call security to get that dirty tramp out of the place.
  • Look at the view count.

Hadn't heard of her until my wife played this one last night, didn't take long to realise I really like it.
  • Well produced but also really irritating for some reason. And I actually like ASMR videos typically.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Just watched Anima on Netflix, pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I do. Definitely worth watching with decent sound system or headphones, or cinema of poss.

I just watched that and thought it was amazing (more so than the record f I’m honest).  A fantastic mix of music, dance and silent film - I never had Yorke down as the next Buster Keaton...

Meanwhile I enjoyed the Idles Tiny Desk, thanks for posting it.  However this remains my favourite Tiny Desk concert:

• I literally just watched that earlier tonight. Small world.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I had the Billy Eilish thing recommended by a mate the other week, I also enjoyed it

Recommendation came from Chris, who does the best reviews, probably a better fit for the country music thread but here you go anyway

http://www.wannabethecomic.com/
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Give him a hearty clap on the back for his Tree of Forgiveness comic strip, absolutely nailed it.

Looking forward to going deep today, looks like a good website.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    To be honest, if you've got as far back as early last year you've already "gone deep" but will definitely pass on your love, despite supporting Newcastle he's a top fella
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched some Glastonbury last night.

I know the lead guitar guy in 2 door cinema club (friend of a friend and apparently he has bought a house down the street from me in the posh bit) but have never heard their stuff so watched their set. Enjoyed them.

Also saw a guy called Tom Walker do a wee acoustic thing for the BBC. Liked him so might check him out too.

Stormzy not my thing but tbought he put on a great show. And my old ears that hate rap found him tolerable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    An old mate from hunting filthy chicks in Derby has a new EP out next week

Emo as fuck, but always heartfelt, and I found myself enjoying his back catalogue this morning

https://duncanewart.bandcamp.com/

• Just caught up with IDLES @ Glastonbury - best Saturday morning TV I've watched since I was a kid.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I forgot it was Glastonbury because I haven’t looked at Twitter for a day or two. Might watch some of that tonight. Could get some lukewarm cider in for an authentic experience.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Look at the view count. Hadn't heard of her until my wife played this one last night, didn't take long to realise I really like it.

Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell

The fuck?
  • I've just 'discovered' Fontaines D.C. - absolutely brilliant they are.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I've just 'discovered' Fontaines D.C. - absolutely brilliant they are.

Yeah they're good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Big is an all timer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!