Now That's What I Call Music 1-100 - The Badger Remix - Now 61 (Deadline 14/2)
  • There are quite a few artists where I expect a certain song and then it is something I have never heard of. People I thought were one hit wonders.

Anyway.
    Jakkata, Gorrilaz, Mya are the runners up.

Papa Roach - Last Resort I expect this to be a very marmite track, you either liked nu metal or you hated it generally, age being a fairly large factor.
  • This was exactly when I had turned into a wee mosher, so it's papa roach for me all the way.
  • Kerrang channel, wallet chains and jeans ten sizes too big.
  • This is an awful compilation so far. Here's Kylie to save the day.
  • This shitty Spotify playlist not only doesn't have Gorillaz, it has Eva Fucking Cassidy on twice in a row, AND proclaims "As Featured On Peter Kay's Car Share".

Fuck this. I'm out. Burn it all down.

Gorillaz ftw
  • I hate that Rainbow shit. I feel like that version kicked off this over sentimental, soft singing cover crap we have to endure with every supermarket advert and talentless show this time of year.

Put a donk on it love.
    (Did I miss Put a Donk on it?)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I expect this to be a very marmite track, you either liked nu metal or you hated it generally, age being a fairly large factor.

I have nothing against nu metal, but Papa Roach were shit.
  • They were, but Last Resort wasn't.
  • poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I expect this to be a very marmite track, you either liked nu metal or you hated it generally, age being a fairly large factor.

I have nothing against nu metal, but Papa Roach were shit.

Not an attack but what nu metal would be tolerable to you? Interested to know where the line is for someone not dying their hair ice blue and getting athletes foot from skateshoes that don't breath.
  • I remember Jacoby Shaddix being in the Cathouse one night wasted after playing a Glasgow gig. He leaned against the bar and tried it on with every girl who went up to buy a drink, then fell down the stairs when he gave up and tried to leave.

Not that any of the above makes him a bad person. I’m sure he was just bored on tour and got drunk enough to be obnoxious.

I always enjoyed nu metal as a genre to drunkenly dance to in rock clubs. And sometimes, just sometimes, as driving music. It’s not something I would usually choose to put on and listen to at home.

I dunno, I would have danced my drunken socks off to most of the big hitters of the time. I probably only bought records by people like the Deftones. I was into a lot of the rap/metal stuff that came before nu metal though. Stuff like Sugar Ray, Clawfinger, Senser, H-Blockx, Urban Dance Squad, etc.
  • I always thought Deftones were (are) a level above most nu metal. They offered more, so I can see that.
    They have their shouty stuff like Shove It but the likes of Be quiet and Drive, Change or Minerva are more melodic.
  • I might go buy some baggy jeans.
  • They may well be due a come back. The fashion cycle is coming back to that point. The kids are all wearing Vans again. I even saw one with a System of a Down t shirt the other week.
    It will cycle quick though, by this time next year heroin chique will be back.
  • I dug out a couple of pairs last year and boy, its hard to believe that was my waist once.

• Ive lost 3 stone the past couple of months and am having the opposite experience. I'm now skinnier but dressed like it's 2011.
  • Heh. I don't think even if I cut all fat out that my waist would get back down to that. I shall henceforth be a bulky mosher.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The kids are all wearing Vans again. I even saw one with a System of a Down t shirt the other week.

I’ve been wearing Vans since ’93 and don’t plan to stop anytime soon.

System of a Down just did one of those 20th anniversary reissue things, didn’t they? One of my workmates picked up the vinyl remaster of Toxicity.
  • Weird thing is they ONLY wear the black Vans with the white stripe. Like how that one Levis t was a thing this summer.

A few of the nu metal bands have toured recently. I saw Deftones in London a few years back, Limp Bizkit have toured recently, Slipknot have a new album.
  • +100 points - for a time I actually had a red new era cap
  • I had a pair of oversized, shiny FUBU jeans with Fat Albert and the Junkyard Gang embroided on the pockets. The envy of the metal kids, the Timberland hip hop kids and the garage krew.
  • That and an oversized camo Animal jacket.
    Outfit complete.
    Skinny Asian best friend and a decade of "you guys holding?"
  • Another vote for Papa Roach here pls.

Shout outs to Road jeans, Etnies/DC/Osiris trainers and hoodies with whatever instantly dated design plastered all over the back.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I can see how this would be a nightmare to count the votes. I'd only count choices put in bold, personally.

Anyway, I quite liked that Gorillaz song (Del FTW), so I'll pick that.
  • Gorillaz I think, not that I particularly like that one.   Who knew Martine McCutheon had so many songs?  Not even me.
  • Gotta fill those albums up for the Tesco music aisle.
  • Is that what she's doing now?
  • Gorillaz, jesus this is another shower of shite on this album.
    Can-of-sprite
  • This was exactly when I had turned into a wee mosher

See, I was definitely too old for all this stuff, but my first wife was bang-on the right age so I picked a lot of it up. First time I met her was in the Catty and she was wearing a Cyberdog top, baggy jeans, and had bright pink hair. 100% mosh kid.
  • Not getting the hate for this album. I'd say it's vastly superior to the last few.
    The Kitten, Gorillaz, Britney, Feeder, Jakatta, all contenders.
    There's only one winner though...

Ten years after this album was released I was covering T in the Park for the BBC.
    Mercifully I was up a tower in the King Tut's Tent.
    abUpziq.jpg

This was a good thing, because down below it was like The Somme
    hQX20gJ.jpg

Anyhoo, the inclement weather meant that between bands the tent wouldn't empty like it usually does as people wanted to stay undercover to avoid the tsunami of shit outside.
    There were thousands of glum faces huddled together or milling around in there and all was quiet. Everyone was miserable...
    ...until this song came over the PA.
    The whole tent erupted into a spontaneous sing-a-long that was a more impressive reaction than any of the actual bands received that day, so I whipped out me phone and did my best to capture some of it (you had to really be there tho).

It was the festival equivalent of the soldiers leaving the trenches and having a kick about. Everyone sang their hearts out, and when the song finished and the next track started, the place once again fell silent and everyone just went about their business like nothing happened.
    So there you have it, my choice for this one is the people's pop song.
    It's Atomic Kitten with Whole Again.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s one of those tunes that’s liked by the young and old, just not among badgers it seems. Thanks for sharing that moment though.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!