The Ultimate Smash Bros Ultimate Thread
  • Keep an eye on the number in the top right on the prefight info screen.
    That is the spirit level, if the level of your spirit score (bottom right where it says party) is lower the fight will be harder.
    Then just make sure your primary spirit trumps theirs, red beats green beats blue in a rock, Paper scissors scenario. Grey is neutral.

It gets quite involved and later you really need to mix up support spirits to nullify some of the battle conditions.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure how you go about winning a game. Percentages go way up over a hundred, there's some kind of -1 for going off the screen but sometimes it's almost a one hit kill game. How do I know if I'm close to winning or losing?
  • Kow wrote:
    I'm not sure how you go about winning a game. Percentages go way up over a hundred, there's some kind of -1 for going off the screen but sometimes it's almost a one hit kill game. How do I know if I'm close to winning or losing?

Yeah I can never tell who is winning. Sometimes can’t even knock the fighters off and if you do they just do triple and quadruple jumps back on. Other times I do one hit and it knocks them back and I win.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just doing a bit in spirit world which will put smiles on faces of Street Fighter fans.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Yeah I can never tell who is winning. Sometimes can’t even knock the fighters off and if you do they just do triple and quadruple jumps back on. Other times I do one hit and it knocks them back and I win.

It's not an energy bar game, it's a playing danger / safety game. The goal is knocking off the stage, and the higher percentage, the more you will get knocked about. Sometimes you can clutch it and go over 200% and win with a well timed smack, and sometimes you get put out on a 100% with a proper smash. Remember that the part of the body that hits you is important (the closer to the tip the more the smash affects you) and the longer they've charged it also factors.
    The clutches I've seen pro players pull out at like 180% are outrageous.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Just doing a bit in spirit world which will put smiles on faces of Street Fighter fans.

Was it the fucking
    Spoiler:
    fight
  • Nope even betterer.
    I wont say anymore
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jfc
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Coz that one up there was hilarious
  • I’ve just been reading and if you’ve not played smash before the rules for this game seems insane doesn’t it.

I prefer timed to stock with friends, as everyone gets to play till it’s over. stock is a lot easier to see who’s winning. I also suggest putting items on ‘low’ as they drop really frequently in this one...

I still need to unlock mega man. I did pretty well with him in the last game. I used to play Ness a lot but I just have the skills no more :(
  • I decided against buying this with the trade in today. A combination of guilt about not having enough money to spare and the fact that I couldn’t face the idea of a busy shopping centre on a Saturday
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I’ve just been reading and if you’ve not played smash before the rules for this game seems insane doesn’t it.

Do they? More so than if you wanna get deep into Tekken or SFV? AFAIK the "rules" as they are are "smack the other people out the ring. The more you smack them the farther they fly,"

If you're talking spirit mode, then, say so, but fucking hell, it's a basic fighting game.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It doesn't seem so clear to me. All sorts of attacks come from the buttons at various times and I'm not sure why. There are big mad specials and I don't know why they appear either. Sometimes the same attack sends an enemy flying and sometimes it doesn't and I can't telly why.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It doesn't seem so clear to me. All sorts of attacks come from the buttons at various times and I'm not sure why. There are big mad specials and I don't know why they appear either. Sometimes the same attack sends an enemy flying and sometimes it doesn't and I can't telly why.

Basic rules -
    A = normal attack
    B = special attack.

Any combo of direction beyond that is going to alter it.

Charge a direction and press A = smash attack.

That's kind of it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok thanks. How do these big show stopping specials happen?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's a flying around ball that looks like the smash logo.hit it a lot. Alternatively,you have a final smash meter, a bit like the street fighter ultimate meter that you work up through normal play and when you go flashing you hit b and off you go
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, cheers. I didn't notice any meter.
  • I think the fact there’s no defined ‘rule’ to any match. It’s more a party game in that you choose the rules. Plus maybe ‘fighting games’ have such predefined rulesets we’ve been conditioned to find anything outside of it harder to grasp? I dunno.

You can even have a match where it plays more like a ‘regular’ one on one fighting game, where you start at 100% or something and you fight till the loser reaches zero. Or there are lives, or there’s a time limit and whoever ends with the most KOs. Or even both!

Edit: oh also it’s definately a fighting game, not saying it isn’t or anything.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm having more fun with this than anything else this year except hitman 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a fucking love song to games and everything something like rdr 2 isn't
  • Yeah it’s so much fun. I didn’t love melee, liked brawl ok, liked the last one ok but couldn’t find anything to keep me playing.

This one has loads to do, but also feels sharper and the level of detail in everything is insane. Even ‘classic’ mode! I completed with Ness and it tried to stick with the Earhbound theme all the way through.

Also I heard about Ryu’s play through in classic and that sounds awesome. Can’t wait to unlock him and see it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Each of the classic mode levels are tailor made and that alone means leave sakurai alone
  • Only done one Classic run so far (Simon).
    The end credits are much better than the last game.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There are 1.6 times as many Spirits to collect as there are Pokemon species.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Browsing through the miscellanous franchise music list. Fucking hell, everything is here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Only done one Classic run so far (Simon).
    The end credits are much better than the last game.

I've done 4 runs so far and they're all hilarious in how they're structured. Give sakurai a bath
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I had a Spirit battle for the main character of Pandora's Tower on the Spirit Board and the attention to detail in gettin in little nostalgic nods to the game was A+. This is a game that sold like 5 copies and there are over 1000 of these fucking things.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's not the best game of the year but in the effort it's way above some red dead shit as game of the year so maybe it is goty
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We get it reg, you didn't like RDR2, let it go.

Although now you've mentioned it and the effort put in, I am starting to wonder about how many unpaid all night shifts the staff working on Smash had to put in, and wonder where this reg went:
    regmcfly wrote:
    That the rockstar guys can make a game and that it's somehow statue to goat status. I'd rather their staff got a break and it's a great game rather than an all timer. The fuck I had to spell this out tells me a lot.
  • I’ve not played it to be fair, but RDR2 looks boring as sin... i think I just don’t have the time anymore. I’m still like, halfway through spider-man.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!