The Ultimate Smash Bros Ultimate Thread
  • We get it reg, you didn't like RDR2, let it go.

Although now you've mentioned it and the effort put in, I am starting to wonder about how many unpaid all night shifts the staff working on Smash had to put in, and wonder where this reg went:
    regmcfly wrote:
    That the rockstar guys can make a game and that it's somehow statue to goat status. I'd rather their staff got a break and it's a great game rather than an all timer. The fuck I had to spell this out tells me a lot.

Sakurai wasn't out boasting to the world his team were pulling 100 hour weeks though. There's a big difference between the things that everyone knows happen in the industry that are shit and people trying to spin the shit things as something that should be proud of.

Also Smash Ultimate is a joyous love letter of a game to its fans while RDR2 is a technical tour de force which may or may not be the cool, approachable face of its money siphoning online component.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Both games are for suckers.

Edit: Oh, I don't mean that. I just don't like them.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    We get it reg, you didn't like RDR2, let it go.

Although now you've mentioned it and the effort put in, I am starting to wonder about how many unpaid all night shifts the staff working on Smash had to put in, and wonder where this reg went:
    regmcfly wrote:
    That the rockstar guys can make a game and that it's somehow statue to goat status. I'd rather their staff got a break and it's a great game rather than an all timer. The fuck I had to spell this out tells me a lot.

Sakurai wasn't out boasting to the world his team were pulling 100 hour weeks though. There's a big difference between the things that everyone knows happen in the industry that are shit and people trying to spin the shit things as something that should be proud of.

Also Smash Ultimate is a joyous love letter of a game to its fans while RDR2 is a technical tour de force which may or may not be the cool, approachable face of its money siphoning online component.

So as long as crunch is not mentioned and we can pretend it's not happening, we can celebrate the results?

But if it is mentioned then that's poor form and boycott worthy?

Seems like some hypocritical fanboy bullshit to me, although ignorance can be bliss. I dunno, I'd rather it was a transparent thing so it has a chance to be changed for the better.
  • Tried so many stages and hate most of them so far. Too much shit going on and too hard to see what I’m doing or at least trying to do. Don’t know where my character is half the time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's almost impossible to see anything in hand held mode, especially on particular levels.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    We get it reg, you didn't like RDR2, let it go.

regmcfly wrote:

So as long as crunch is not mentioned and we can pretend it's not happening, we can celebrate the results?

But if it is mentioned then that's poor form and boycott worthy?

Seems like some hypocritical fanboy bullshit to me, although ignorance can be bliss. I dunno, I'd rather it was a transparent thing so it has a chance to be changed for the better.

The difference here is you are hypothesising it happened versus a studio head literally saying it happened.

And fwiw I get it, rdr2 is your goat. You'll protect it. I'll do the same for mass effect 2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FINALLY got snake omg yes
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    The difference here is you are hypothesising it happened versus a studio head literally saying it happened.

And fwiw I get it, rdr2 is your goat. You'll protect it. I'll do the same for mass effect 2.

Yeah, they've not came out and said it, but this is Japan, at Nintendo, working under Sakurai.
    Back during Super Smash Bros. Melee's production, Mr. Sakurai worked for 13 months straight without a day off. He would also work for 40 hours straight and take only four hours off for sleep, which ultimately led to his collapse and hospital admittance.

When Super Smash Bros. 4 was being developed, Sakurai suffered from calcific tendonitis in his right arm due to his hectic work schedule. This injury impacted the game's development at the time, and Sakurai noted that he would often use his days off to continue working on the project.

So come on. It's not the turning a blind eye you're currently doing that's odd to me (Nate is getting Smash for Christmas, so I'm right there with you), more the fierce condemnation of Rockstar at the time and subsequent double standards/turn around here. And that's not just because RDR2 is my GoaT either, I don't expect or want everyone to see that game the way I do, I'd be saying the same things if you went as hard about any other game only to give Nintendo the free pass. More than a free pass even, you're celebrating the effort put in as if it's a good thing and not the same shitty thing that Rockstar were doing.
  • Ethical standards be damned, the effort should still be celebrated for both games as it was still put in by individuals, pressured or otherwise.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You fucking monster.
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I turned this off expecting it to be 8pm and it's a quarter past 10. Fuck.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You fucking monster.
    Spoiler:

This. I hundo agree with you.
    If you look at it, I wasn't criticising rdr2 Vs smash for the hours put in, you did that. I was saying one was more fun than the other. But if you're asking if I want staff to be supported of fucking course. My own union is probably going on strike in January.
  • But you boycotted rdr2 so how do you know it’s not fun?
  • Really enjoying this, after not spending much time with the Wii U version. Tip if you want to unlock fighters as much as possible: closing and restarting the game resets the encounter rate, so just play a quick game of smash and you’ll get a challenger.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • i know reg poked the needle of this topic but there’s surely a better thread for this than this one? At best there’s some speculation about the labour conditions of the smash team but other than that?!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    i know reg poked the needle of this topic but there’s surely a better thread for this than this one? At best there’s some speculation about the labour conditions of the smash team but other than that?!

Well I'm busy enjoying it and singing the main theme to myself while I do the housework.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    You fucking monster.
    Spoiler:

This. I hundo agree with you.
    If you look at it, I wasn't criticising rdr2 Vs smash for the hours put in, you did that. I was saying one was more fun than the other. But if you're asking if I want staff to be supported of fucking course. My own union is probably going on strike in January.

It's got nowt to do with which one you find more fun.

I'm comparing them because you had very strong feelings about it when it came to Rockstar crunching, but seem to have lost that anger when it came to Nintendo, in fact going so far as to celebrate the efforts put in to make their game.

The Rockstar boycott thing would be fair enough if your stance on crunching had been altered because of it and you chose to boycott all devs that adopted the practice, but you haven't. It's just odd to me. Either you believe in something or you don't.
  • Are you being purposely obtuse?

Clearly he says rockstars guys were glorifying crunch and no such glorification is happening here from the smash team?

If you’re gonna keep futzing up the thread with this bollocks at least read the nuance in what he is saying.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Rockstar glorifying their crunch = bad times

reg glorifying Nintendo crunch = good times

Is that it?
  • How do you know this is the case? There’s a case to be made that much of the work was done on this from the wii u game which is in and of itself a 4 year old game. So why couldn’t there be a reasonable amount of work on polishing and heart? Actively they’ve talked about removing some of the most labour intensive parts (trophies) and replaced them with (pre existing) drawings and setting tweaks.
  • Reg hasn't glorified the crunch though has he? He's commended the effort that has gone into the game, which is reflected in the quality and quantity of content which has been squeezed into what appears to be Smash's magnum opus. Also Reg is not an executive at Nintendo doing the publicity circuit (at least not yet, iirc he doesn't have enough amiibos to get a seat on the board) trying to get people to buy their game.

Just as I think anyone would commend the effort made by the Rockstar team which shows though in RDR2. Shrinking horse testicles and all. 

There is a clear difference though when the management at Rockstar are trying to big up the amount of hours their team are doing during crunch and making out like we should all applaud that as a good sign for the quality of the forthcoming title, which if you wouldn't mind pre-ordering after reading this interview would be just swell, kthx.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moar talk about the game. Chinese suicides haven't stopped anyone buying iPhones. Crunch exists, it will always exist, while idiots like us get hype, and want to pre-order there will be deadlines, deadlines mean crunch. We all want to add more all the time, human nature
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Also while I'm here: 

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Reg hasn't glorified the crunch though has he? He's commended the effort that has gone into the game, which is reflected in the quality and quantity of content which has been squeezed into what appears to be Smash's magnum opus. Also Reg is not an executive at Nintendo doing the publicity circuit (at least not yet, iirc he doesn't have enough amiibos to get a seat on the board) trying to get people to buy their game.

Just as I think anyone would commend the effort made by the Rockstar team which shows though in RDR2. Shrinking horse testicles and all. 

There is a clear difference though when the management at Rockstar are trying to big up the amount of hours their team are doing during crunch and making out like we should all applaud that as a good sign for the quality of the forthcoming title, which if you wouldn't mind pre-ordering after reading this interview would be just swell, kthx.

See, I don't know how you can commend the efforts of Nintendo's staff without taking the long working hours into account as they are surely part of their efforts?

But maybe I'm wrong on the whole thing, and the original bee in reg's bonnet wasn't about the long hours worked by Rockstar's staff at all, it was only the fact that Rockstar came out and bragged about it. That way we can applaud the results of crunch and crazy working hours so long as the devs keep tight lipped about it. It's not about unpaid overtime and toxic working conditions, it's about ethics in videogame PR.

Or, as Crayon would have it, the bloke famous for working insane hours, in a company which has a history of excessive working hours, in a country which has a working culture problem, most probably didn't have anyone working long hours anyway, as all they did was cobble together bits of code from an old WiiU game. So it's all moot and I'm wrong on both counts, reg can't have double standards because it's all roll in late, extended dinner breaks and early finishes over at Nintendo. Fair enough I suppose, I can leave it there.

• I thought there'd be lots of Smash love to read but instead I get people arguing because they don't understand what the other person is saying :(

Effort doesn't always mean overtime.

Sakurai overworking himself doesn't mean team is overworking itself (maybe)

Bragging about overworking your staff isn't the same as potentially overworking your staff maybe we don't know because we can't see into their operations.

Japan most definitely has a horrible work culture, who's to say Nintendo are worse than that. I'd say it's still not as bad as overtime worked in the games industry elsewhere. Judging from my conversations with Japanese people and the reports on overtime.

How about we revisit this when an expose on Nintendo happens and we can just go back to a game that is obviously lovingly crafted by a team led by a man who pushes himself beyond his limits.
  • I think it's fair to argue both sides of it but it's kinda hard to argue it when one side is a complete unknown in terms of potential overtime.
  • Don’t think it was necessary for Reg to start talking shit about RDR2 while wanking all over Smash though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Which is probably a good way to draw a line under it.

So I resisted impulse buying this on Friday (Argos had it for a reasonable price). How’s the single player? My internet’s so bad that any online stuff would be pointless until they get round to doing fibre here.
  • I'm hooked on the Spirit mode but I'm not sure it will be for everyone.
    Its a bit of a head fuck at first and certainly the Kotaku reviewer didn't seem to understand it.

Classic mode is like the old games but more tailored to each character, a real upgrade there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I'm hooked on the Spirit mode but I'm not sure it will be for everyone.
    Its a bit of a head fuck at first and certainly the Kotaku reviewer didn't seem to understand it.

Classic mode is like the old games but more tailored to each character, a real upgrade there.

Have you done Ryu's yet? It's amazing. You start out fighting
    Spoiler:
    and then from that normal one it goes off on a mad one. You fight
    Spoiler:
    then
    Spoiler:
    and so on. My favourite was
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!