The F1 Game thread
  • Loving these updates. Why doesn’t real F1 do this?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • It does you can read martin brundles blog on sky f1 website no he goes into slightly less detail but it’s very well written.

Jolyen palmer does something similar on the bbc website
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Neither of them are current F1 drivers though.
  • Lol yes good point .. to
    Be fair Hamilton used to post a lot on social
    Media after the race but I think he’s kind of gone off it after the Christmas thing
  • What Christmas thing?
  • He posted that his nephew was wearing a dress or something and expressed mild amusement that boys shouldn’t and of course in pc gone made internet world got slapped down hard
  • Not really
  • At the spainish gp. My team inform me that race day will be wet and that i should go with a race day setup throughout practice and compromise my qualifying position in order to have a better car in the rain.

So i listen to them. However my combustion engine which is suppose to last 6 races is at 80% used. It sounds like has a bag of nails in it. The data says its good for 47 laps and the race is 33 laps. Problem is i wanted to keep this combustion engine for monaco and use combustion engine number 2, fresh out if the box in canada (next after monaco).

I could use engine 2 in this gp, and switch back to engine 1 for monaco. I don't know how the rain on race day will affect it.

Edit: i decided to switch to engine 2. Gonna use the old battered one for monaco. Gearbox is at 69% wear and the MGU-H is at 62%. Im gonna run these parts in monaco and switch to all new fresh parts for canada GP.

Alonso out qualified me by 0.3 seconds. He's P7 and im P9.

Onto the GP.....
  • Started in P9, got swamped at the start after getting aload of wheel spin. Fell down to P12, but due to my wet setup i started to gain places rather quickly as other drivers struggled in the wet conditions.

I was scheduled for a 2 stop race but decided to gamble in a one stop early on. The track was drying but not enough for slick when i was radioed to come in. I thought if i extended the stint maybe id get lucky and the track would dry enough for slick, saving me a pitstop.

I extended as far as i could (lap 15 of 33) and realised i had no choice but to come in for another set of inters. The good news was my extended stint meant that i re-emerged in P6 and Sainz in P7 was 8 seconds behind.

The other cars ahead of me went in for a second stop at lap 23, I was in P2 and once again battling Riccardo. I was running the engine (new one was fitted for the race) in lean mode around the track and would switch to rich mode on the straights. My wet weather setup meant i was quick in the corners. I held Riccardo off, lap after lap after lap. By lap 31 my front left was 76% worn. The team were radioing i should come in, but with two laps left i thought i would carefully manage the tyre and bring the car home.

Last lap, 33 still holding Riccardo off, go into turn 3 and my front left goes. Puncture. Shit. Riccardo goes screaming past. Damn all that work for nothing. Verstappen goes screaming past as does Kimi. I was now in P5 trying to bring the car home and not smash into walls. Sainz was closing in quicker and quicker every corner. Last lap i thought to myself, fuck sakes. I eventually got around the last corner (i ignored the pits) and managed to bring the car home in P5. In the end the gap was too much for Sainz to bridge.

Onto Monaco next and a wee crank up of the difficulty, going from hard to very hard. Gulp.
  • Well well well, Monaco. The glitz, the glamour, the complete hatred of this god awful track. Never finished in the points here ever. Actually i think I've never finished here ever. I hate this track and not because its a street circuit. I love Singapore.

Practice was awful, failed every single target the team set. Qualifying was awful. Was eliminated in Q1 and ended up P17. I had switched back to my old engine that was swapped out for Spainish GP.

The race itself? I started P17 and lasted 4 laps before breaking the suspension on the car. DNF.

I hate Monaco. Only good news is Canada is next with brand new parts for every engine component apart from the combusion engine (used in Spain) and a new gearbox. sweet.
  • Does it still have rewinds?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dino you are making this game sound so good. But I know I’d never have the patience to do all the FP stuff etc. Anyway. Keep the updates coming and maybe a screenshot or video or three of the big moments?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Does it still have rewinds?

I think Dino mentioned that Rewind is mapped to a button on the steering wheel but had not indicated that this button has actually been pressed so far...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Does it still have rewinds?
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Square - flashback
  • Cheers .. I’m alright on Monaco having pounded round it so many times historically but I could not finish Singapore even with all
    The rewinds
    It’s just so unforgiving and it’s faster than Monaco which helps you get into a rhythm. Cos your rarely going very fast
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Dino you are making this game sound so good. But I know I’d never have the patience to do all the FP stuff etc. Anyway. Keep the updates coming and maybe a screenshot or video or three of the big moments?

The FP stuff isnt mandatory but does help. I'm fitting game time around a 4 month old baby.

I will try to get some screenshots done goung forwards.
  • Bob wrote:
    Cheers .. I’m alright on Monaco having pounded round it so many times historically but I could not finish Singapore even with all
    The rewinds
    It’s just so unforgiving and it’s faster than Monaco which helps you get into a rhythm. Cos your rarely going very fast

I love Singapore, when you get into the rhythm, its hypnotic and fast, the way the corners come at you relentlessly.

I try not to use flashback in a GP. Defo dont use it in FP or Qually. For me its useful when baby needs attention or missus is calling. i can pause and flashback gives me the last ten seconds back when i was trying to pause the game and not really concentrating.
  • Dino’s updates are actually educating me about how F1 works. Every time there’s a real race you should do the equivalent in the game and give us an update so we’re informed ahead of the real thing.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Was tempted to get it on PC for 22 quid, but Assetto Corsa is out on the 12th so it can wait for a sale.
  • Dino - is there an option to have stuff like adjusting engine modes and diff and whatnot during a race disabled or handled automatically? I can't be chewed with that level of faff, and the few times i ventured into that menu when i tried previous demos usually resulted in a meeting with the wall. I appreciate it could all just be left at default, but i'd prefer to know that it could be handled in a way that wasn't costing you performance relative to others in the race.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You can leave it all at default and not worry about any of it. When I venture into those menus or call the engineer it's normally on a straight as I'd go off the track as well.
  • Found a track i hate as much as monaco. Suprise suprise its a french track, Paul Ricard. Bloody difficult circuit. So many long winding corners, vicious double corners and chicanes.

P1 was a disaster, failed every goal, struggled to keep it on the track and to top it off broke the front wing.

P2 had a gearbox failure and the session was wiped out because of said failure.

P3 had an cooling fault so lost some time. Failed the goals set by the team. Im not looking forward to qually.

Q1 changed the setup. Not driven the car on new setup but thought what the hell. Somehow managed to qualify 13th.

Q2 running 11th, decided to go out again on a fresh tyres and try one more time. Turn 2, somehow i took it perfectly, i gain 0.9 seconds. wow. Into turn 8 and im carrying 0.7 second improvement. If i can only hold on. Nail the apex's dino, i tell myself. Onto the start/finish straight still 0.7 seconds up. Cross the line in P6. Wow P6, im into Q3 and i dont understand how.

Q3, dont think i can replicate that lap in Q2, that was totally hooked up and a fluke.
    Well that was a suprise, somehow im hooking it up and got the car to P5. Alonso in P7. Wow im so suprised.

Onto the race...
  • An incident packed race. Started P5 and lost a position into the first corner. The Hypersofts would only be good for a few laps, which meant i was on a 3 stop strategy. Pitted in on lap 6 for Supersofts and came out in P16.

Ericsson and Ocon took each other out on turn 1, thanks guys, up to P14. A few more laps passed, behind me an express train of Bottas, Verstrappen and Rakkionen were coming through, id never hold them off. Not a chance. Luckily as they were closing in, my engineer radioed to pit in. Phew.

I came out in P9. Not bad, i thought. However another tangle in turn 1, this time between rakkionen and riccardo, pushed me up to P7. Then Hamilton had a mechanic failure while leading the race, then a lap after so did Bottas. Up to P5 now. Next to chase down was Verstappen in P4, a fools errand as i had no chancs3 of catching him. As luck would have it Max spun the car in turn 1 and i sailed past him. Now up to P4 with a few laps left. Perez was running in P3 due to a one stop strategy. However my tyres were fresher and i thought why not try to catch him.

Then with two laps left my engineer radioed caution ahead, and i couldn't believe my luck as i came around the corner, there was Perez with smoke coming out of the back of the car. Woo hoo P3 now.

I managed to hold on and bring it home. How i ended up P3 was pure luck. Six cars had DNF's. Anyway onto Austria now and upgrades being delivered for that race.
  • Doesn’t seem like a particularly realistic strategy there.
  • What do you mean Bob? If it wasn't for the 6 x dnf's I would have come home probably in 9th.
  • I can’t remember anyone doing a scheduled three stop this year. Mostly everyone one stops and the only strategy calls are the under cut or going long,

It’s a bit too many dnfs this season has seen very few, 

I mean it’s all a bit how I remember Codie’s f1 game. It’s like they’ve got no idea how the season is going to pan out despite launching halfway through the season.
  • Don’t get me wrong it’s a minor complaint but it’s enough to make me think I won’t enjoy it.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    That sounds a bit like the game engine keeping things exciting by making the race more dramatic; also fun!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!