GoTY 2018
  • This year was incredibly strong for me. Way better then 2017, IIRC. I'm actually having trouble deciding whether Spider-Man or Astro Bot deserves top spot.
  • Is Astrobot that good? I heard rumblings it was VRs Mario 64 but then I saw it was the same as that demo that came with PSVR and thought “piss off”
  • Huge Astro Bot jealousy building.

Dunno what you can vote for really Charlie. They're my bestest games, but if HK doesn't get chalked up for the final count I'll survive.
  • Gonna be hard for me to look past Dead Cells, I think. Even though I haven't completed it yet.
  • Is Astrobot that good? I heard rumblings it was VRs Mario 64 but then I saw it was the same as that demo that came with PSVR and thought “piss off”

It's not anything ground breaking, like some reports would suggest, but it's extremely competent and just oozes charm. I thought the Playroom demo was charming and fun, so if you have the reaction you did to more of it, it's probably not for you. And you're probably dead inside.
  • Mine so far:

God of War
    Into the Breach
    Obra Dinn
    FH4
    Probably Red Dead 2 once I play more

Better or worse than last year? Well looking at last year’s B&B GotY list and votes, we had Zelda, Mario, Hollow Knight, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Splatoon 2...

Hmmm. I dunno, close one isn’t it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Current Shortlist a la Rouj:

Before the Storm: Epilogue Episode
    Dead Cells

Omg that's actually all I've played that came out this year apart from SC6 and Obra Dinn assuming I get round to it before the end of the year FeelsLikeWhereDidMyTimeGoMan.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Wait Dragonball Fighters Z came out this year as well and I played that.

Still though, what the fuck have I been doing all year?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh, shit, I forgot Mario and Zelda were last year. Okay, perhaps this year doesn't quite beat it. It's not far off, though.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Wait Dragonball Fighters Z came out this year as well and I played that. Still though, what the fuck have I been doing all year?

What would DBZ be like for a casual dip?
  • Not worth it imo. It does have a beginner friendly control mode but it rips along at a fair old pace and the story is such hot garbo I never finished it.

It's a very well made game and you can see the love the designers had for the source material but imho not with it for a casual spin.

Soul Calibur is way better for that sort of thing and has a much more interesting single player set of "campaigns" and also let's you make bojack horseman and shit on the create a character mode.
  • AJ wrote:
    Is Astrobot that good? I heard rumblings it was VRs Mario 64 but then I saw it was the same as that demo that came with PSVR and thought “piss off”

It's not anything ground breaking, like some reports would suggest, but it's extremely competent and just oozes charm. I thought the Playroom demo was charming and fun, so if you have the reaction you did to more of it, it's probably not for you. And you're probably dead inside.

I thought it was reasonably fun and gimmicky but I didn’t think it was the basis for a 9 or 10 out of ten game.
  • So far into the breach is mine but I've played so little new stuff. Usually pick up a few titles at Christmas so I'll have to wait until then.
    SFV - reddave360
  • 2016 over 2017 over 2018 for me. But the Switch would've boosted 2017.

This year is mostly about indies. Monster Hunter World is probably the only really big release to stand out.
  • 2017 was a big one for me, possibly the best.  Pretty sure I was alone in thinking that at the time too, but Edith Finch didn't even make my top 10.  Plus I've added one or two titles since (Cuphead definitely).  Vintage.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Not worth it imo. It does have a beginner friendly control mode but it rips along at a fair old pace and the story is such hot garbo I never finished it.

It's a very well made game and you can see the love the designers had for the source material but imho not with it for a casual spin.

Soul Calibur is way better for that sort of thing and has a much more interesting single player set of "campaigns" and also let's you make bojack horseman and shit on the create a character mode.

Cheers. I'm still struggling to resist the shininess tbh, even though that's a good summary of why I shouldn't get it.
  • Plus I don't have the Switch online sub.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Well we can't have Elf do it every year, can we You're allowed to pick Hollow Knight

Hollow Knight.

Not that there haven't been other good games, but this one genuinely came out of nowhere and will probably end up on my all time top ten.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It will definitely be all time top 100 for me, maybe even top 20, and definitely in my top 5 for 2017.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think the era has come for a looser approach to GOTY.

There’s so many variables and stuff as to when a game is released and when it hits its stride as a thing (consider that splatoon only became the game it was over time or fortnite getting a holy shit moment! Only after it had battle royale added).
  • Smash might be the GOTY after piranha plant is in the game. Which year is it eligible for THEN?
  • You crazy radical. You're out of control!
  • Next you'll be making a thread of top 11 lists or something. Everything is collapsing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It will definitely be all time top 100 for me, maybe even top 20, and definitely in my top 5 for 2017.

I'm thinking of the Switch release, aren't I? PC was last year, you're right.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • God of war
    Red dead redemption 2
    Yakuza kiwami

Yet to play spidey, full tetris effect, beat saber,
    So will update later.

Hitman 2 soon as well.
  • I'd be surprised if Beat Saber doesn't make it into mine; it looks amazing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m with Crayon and I vote for Pong.
  • I vote that we vote for what we want then Muzzy just arranges it how he wants and explains why as a surprise.
  • Do you have to nominate a game you've actually played, that you actually own, that was actually released this year?

If so, then red Dead Redemption 2.  I haven't actually played it as my mate is only dropping it off tonight, but it's the only game I own from this year...

I don't even know why I'm on this forum sometimes...

x
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m with Crayon and I vote for Pong.

Realistically speaking our top ten means jackshit so really it’s a thread about talking about your favourite thing so you might as well go for it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!