PlayStation Classic - launching December 2018
  • Jaco wrote:
    Solid list of titles. Surprised there's no Wipeout in there though. I seem to remember Syphon Filter being tremendous fun – probably aged terribly mind.

So have we to be fair
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Speak for yourse... Yeah, fair point.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • PS1 is one of my favourite consoles, with dozens of real classics. Only about 4 or 5 are on that list and most of the rest of it is filler. I mean, Toshinden? Rayman? Rainbow 6? The first Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby rather than sequels?

If you've got a list of 40-50 to work with you can get away with stuff like that. With 20 they pretty much all need to be the top games on the system. The mini SNES got away with it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *kicks chair* where's Tony hawk
  • *flips table* WHERE AM TEKKEN 3?

Oh... wait...

*flips cat* WHERE AM METAL GEAR?

Oh...shit...sorry Jonesy

Okay this time for real *runs out into the street and flips a random nanna* WHERE AM FINAL FANTASY VIII?

*random nanna replies from the deck through shattered dentures* B-b-b-but FVII is the best one

*BRUCE LEE SQUEAL OF RAGE AND TWO FOOTED NECK STOMP. JIMMY EAT WORLD PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND*
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a decent list. Intelligent Qube aka Kurushi deserves a wider audience. Excellent game.

And anything that spreads the web of Mr Driller has to be commended too. :)

R4 is a great pick as is Puzzle Fighter.

It's not for me though - unless it can be hacked for playing the PS1's surprisingly great 2D shooter library.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's very much a "not arsed with anything that may have licensing issues" and big publishers didn't want to provide games they can still re-release.

Symphony of the Night should be a shoe in, but it's just had a PS4 re-release so no way Konami are giving up that money.

Playstation and Wipeout go hand in hand, but not featured at all.

Resident Evil 2 is about to get a remake, so no dice from Capcom on that one.

Puzzle Fighter is good, but nobody remembers the Playstation for Puzzle Fighter.

Crash Bandicoot and the Mega Man X games too have had recent remakes/ports so they're out.

Spyro is getting a remake.

Only one Final Fantasy is surprising.

PaRappa the Rapper is excluded too.
  • Mr Driller is the best thing on there, and it’s an arcade conversion.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Parappa and Vib Ribbon are sinful exclusions. Although Vib Ribbon's greatest feature would be unusable due to the absence of a CD drive.

And Wipeout should be there too. Wipeout 3SE is still a fine looking game.

If SOTN is left out they could have inc. Chronicles.

No shooters - no RType Delta or the superb Gradius Gaiden.
  • Would have been awesome to see a football game on there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No Bishi Bashi - they could release a custom built mini with just those games.
  • Just out of interest, here’s the top 20 sellers on the PS1 worldwide. Only three of them made the cut.
    1. Gran Turismo
    2. Final Fantasy 7
    3. Gran Turismo 2
    4. Final Fantasy 8
    5. Crash Bandicoot 3
    6. Crash Bandicoot
    7. Metal Gear Solid
    8. Final Fantasy 9
    9. Tomb Raider 2
    10. Crash Bandicoot 2
    11. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    12. Resident Evil 2
    13. Spyro
    14. Tekken 3
    15. Tomb Raider
    16. Dragon Warrior 7
    17. Rayman
    18. Tomb Raider 3
    19. Resident Evil 3
    20. Pyro 2
  • Rayman sold like hotcakes when I worked in Electronics Boutique. Was never keen on the way the original played, but it was surprisingly popular for an 'old hat' 2D platformer with a crappy character and a mean streak.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rayman sold like hotcakes when I worked in Electronics Boutique. Was never keen on the way the original played, but it was surprisingly popular for an 'old hat' 2D platformer with a crappy character and a mean streak.
    Indeed. Helped that it looked nice and got an early release before better stuff came around. But it never played well.
  • Bold is my yes list, either games I love, or havent played but really want to.

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms

• I'm guessing games like Wipeout and Gran Turismo didn't make the list due to some licensing issues with the soundtracks.
  • Hmmmm. Not a list that does much for me. Oh well.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm guessing games like Wipeout and Gran Turismo didn't make the list due to some licensing issues with the soundtracks.

Switching up the music almost certainly wouldn’t have been that difficult.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would expect it to be a launch-oriented list given the lack of analogues. Maybe they'll do a DualShock-oriented one later - they don't have many consoles they can do as little system-on-a-chip emu things.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm guessing games like Wipeout and Gran Turismo didn't make the list due to some licensing issues with the soundtracks.

But if people are being sold a nostalgia product it’s not really a good thing to do.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *Kicks bin*
    GIVE ME APE ESCAPE AND DUAL SHOCKS YOU COWARDS
  • Yossarian wrote:

But if people are being sold a nostalgia product it’s not really a good thing to do.

Aye, for a re-release its one thing, but for a product like this you can't do it.
  • Beyond Oddworld, Tekken and Final Fantasy i dont find any of the games appealing, and even the games i do find appealing probably wont be much fun to go back to. I reckon the PS1- although a great console at the time- is not particularly well-suited for a re-release. The first generation of 3D games are going to be janky as fuck today.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    vpdc50j.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looking through my modest PS1 collection - forgot about Devil Dice and Power Diggerz which would have been interesting inclusions.

Too many PS1 games have recent updates that make the originals redundant. MGS and the VR mission pack is probably still worthwhile though. Wipeout3 and R4 would make the grade too.
  • I’m stupidly excited about this.
    On the other hand my Retropie is sitting there untouched. Perhaps I could see if the PlayStation titles work nicely on it?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    Looking through my modest PS1 collection - forgot about Devil Dice and Power Diggerz which would have been interesting inclusions.

Too many PS1 games have recent updates that make the originals redundant. MGS and the VR mission pack is probably still worthwhile though. Wipeout3 and R4 would make the grade too.

Devil Dice is on the Japan version.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Disappointed with the lineup. I'm out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No VibRibbon
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    No VibRibbon

Not without a CD drive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!