PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Much more page turnier.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dear Esther had
    Spoiler:

I love such techniques in films, where you might have something happen for just a fraction of a second, and you aren't sure if it really did happen or not. Really effective at conveying the tricks our minds play on us every day, and thoroughly spooky.

I don't know if this technique has a name, but two such examples would be; the mannequin that appears to turn it's head in I Am Legend (2007), causing Will Smith to do a double take (it is actually animated, I went through frame-by-frame and it turns just slighty. Creepy as fuck). And another is in Blade Runner, when Deckard is looking at a photo of a woman and a child, and it comes alive for just a moment, including a snippet of sound.

I need to play more horror/spooky games, it's the sort of stuff that should be easy to do in games, making you question 'reality'.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Oxenfree, yes, definitely unsettling in parts, the tone was spot on. I think a lot of the walking simulators; Gone Home, Edith Finch and Dear Esther, for me have been unsettling. That sense of being alone and the awareness of that, coupled with the fear of the loneliness being suddenly punctured does weigh down as you play. I found Gone Home to be especially good at instilling this. The details, the scraps of information, the silence, all added to a sense of dread.

Page 1.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    Oxenfree, yes, definitely unsettling in parts, the tone was spot on. I think a lot of the walking simulators; Gone Home, Edith Finch and Dear Esther, for me have been unsettling. That sense of being alone and the awareness of that, coupled with the fear of the loneliness being suddenly punctured does weigh down as you play. I found Gone Home to be especially good at instilling this. The details, the scraps of information, the silence, all added to a sense of dread.
    Page 1.

Yeah but me and you don’t count with our opinions on creepy even though we actually bothered to read the op and isn’t just list scary games for two pages.
  • That was meant to be tounge in cheek btw. I’m not bitter (much)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dear Esther was semi-random, so placement of objects and the things you may or may not see change.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • One man's creepy is another man's normal.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In video games and the bedroom.
  • It true, sometimes it v.spooky in the dark on my own.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • When your torch snuffs out in Skyrim.  And the dungeons aren't even that dark.  It's just the unexpectedness of it.  Gets me every time.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Fucking spiders in skyrim man.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Not spooky, but does get you shitting yourself. Half life 1, when you in the ducts and you hear the marines arrive at Black Mesa for the first time.
  • Inside, specifically the creepy mermaid creature.  Not really spooky I guess, but it definitely gave me a feeling of dread/impending doom ('it's coming it's coming it's coming!').  I remember being pleased when those sections were done, but not because they weren't great.

Edit: Now I'm thinking about how good the whole game was.  So best.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, god, yeah. The swimming lass during the submarine sections, sod that for a game of soldiers. *shudder*
  • As Reg mentioned, Majora's Mask was genuinely creepy I thought.  Both the transformations, and the perpetual face of impending doom literally hanging over you.

I find Shadow of the Colossus pretty creepy in places, from the weird disembodied voices, to the growing realisation that I'm the worst.  The ending of Braid left me feeling similarly uncomfortable.

I haven't played it since I was a kid, but the general sense of confusion as to what the Hell was going on, combined with the (deliberately) progressively more useless controls, meant that I found Captain Blood equal parts disturbing and frustrating.  (It probably didn't help that I had a dodgy version copied onto a C60, so had no manual or explanation for context.)

Speaking of things that are more disturbing without context - whilst it breaks almost all the rules of the OP, I'll give a little nod to the whole PetsCop thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!