Tetris Effect - Trippy VR Tetris wonderment - PS4
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So yeah kinda fun. No major rush, particularly as surely it should be a digital purchase and hence awaits a sale Half price via Sainsbury's doors tenor though, given it drops during double up week...

Can you explain this last sentence please?  Think autocorrect has done you?  I like Tetris and occasionally use Sainsbury’s for grocery delivery and enjoy things being half price but I can’t quite work out what you’re saying and why opera singers are going to make Tetris be half price.tyvm
  • There's an offer running where you can convert Sainsbury's points into twice the amount you normally can.
  • But only if you're an opera singer.
  • That was last year. This year they're extending it to all tenors no matter your preferred genre.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So yeah kinda fun. No major rush, particularly as surely it should be a digital purchase and hence awaits a sale Half price via Sainsbury's doors tenor though, given it drops during double up week...

Can you explain this last sentence please?  Think autocorrect has done you?  I like Tetris and occasionally use Sainsbury’s for grocery delivery and enjoy things being half price but I can’t quite work out what you’re saying and why opera singers are going to make Tetris be half price.tyvm

"Does tempt" was I think what I was attempting...

But yeah basically what they said.

chat after
    http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1524174#Comment_1524174

or see eg
    https://skintdad.co.uk/nectar-double-up-2018/

This drops 9 Nov, key week for the deal is 12-18 Nov.
  • Now that's all sorted, I'm going to bring this over to save it being lost in the page turn.

AJ wrote:
    I had another couple of blasts this evening and got reminded that I don't really enjoy Tetris very much once it gets past a certain speed. It'd be a lot more likely to buy it sooner if it had a chill mode where it never web over a certain level.
    JonB wrote:
    It does.
    AJ wrote:
    Nice. Is that only one of the effects things or can the journey be played like that?

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So there are opera tracks in this too? I don't like opera at all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If it never got faster couldn't you literally play forever?
  • AJ wrote:
    Now that's all sorted, I'm going to bring this over to save it being lost in the page turn.
    AJ wrote:
    I had another couple of blasts this evening and got reminded that I don't really enjoy Tetris very much once it gets past a certain speed. It'd be a lot more likely to buy it sooner if it had a chill mode where it never web over a certain level.
    JonB wrote:
    It does.
    AJ wrote:
    Nice. Is that only one of the effects things or can the journey be played like that?
    The Effects mode has a 'chill marathon' option or something, which I assume is marathon without the speed increases.

The stuff in Journey mode has a Beginner level option, which I think means it increases, but not so much.

There are also various other options in Effects mode that don't seem to be about increasing speed. Overall, there looks to be a lot of different ways of playing.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    If it never got faster couldn't you literally play forever?

I couldn't, no.
  • JonB wrote:
    The Effects mode has a 'chill marathon' option or something, which I assume is marathon without the speed increases.

The stuff in Journey mode has a Beginner level option, which I think means it increases, but not so much.

There are also various other options in Effects mode that don't seem to be about increasing speed. Overall, there looks to be a lot of different ways of playing.

Thanks. I've only played journey on beginner. Assuming a steady increase, it'll be too fast for me by the end. Effects mode is okay, but it's the progression in journey that I like. Guess £15 is more likely if the chill mode is as you say, but unfortunately it still doesn't sound worth any more to me.
  • The demo only has one cluster (of 3 levels) open, i assume your level resets when you move onto another cluster, as otherwise it’d be nigh on impossible to get near the end unless you’re a machine!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Could well do, but some of those clusters are twice as long and I've only finished the demo once out of three or four attempts.
  • Ah, OK. And I thought I was bad at it. ;)
  • I’m not great at it. I got a B last night. Keep forgetting to use Zone. Could get mega points if you can set up a couple of Tetris (Tetrix??) and use Zone to clear
  • JonB wrote:
    Ah, OK. And I thought I was bad at it. ;)

Yeah, I don't like to play games in order to get better at them, so things either need to be something I enjoy enough that I get better due to the fact I'm just playing it a lot, or fairly easy.

Sometimes a game is fun but challenging, so I'll play for a bit, but then hit a point where there's to much challenge and it kills the fun. Super Meat Boy, for example, I threw in the towel near the end of the hospital.
  • Decahexatris is 16 lines.

Think there's a Perfectris too.
  • I did get an A the time I finished, but that's probably worth less because I was on easy.

If the demo's still working tonight, I might try practice, but the description makes it sound too far the other way.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m not great at it. I got a B last night. Keep forgetting to use Zone. Could get mega points if you can set up a couple of Tetris (Tetrix??) and use Zone to clear

That certainly seems to be the secret to getting higher rankings.

I played this a bit over the weekend.  I thought the VR stuff was effective if not world changing - at the end of the day it's still Tetris, no matter what other stuff is going on around the edges.

My wife, who looooves Tetris was a bit underwhelmed by it - she described it as "Tetris with terrible music" though she conceded that there was a sense of immersion once you got into it.  (I knew better than to suggest that Tetris has always had terrible music..)

I liked it more than her, but have to admit I'm not really convinced by it yet.  The much vaunted elements of synaesthesia didn't really click for me at all.  I got into the zone because it was Tetris, not because the blocks sometimes pulsed in time to the music.  So, yeah, I fear I'm in the "get it when the price drops" crowd.  (Which is a shame, because we both really wanted to like it.)
  • Seems like the perfect moment to remind everybody of this.

• Decahexatris is 16 lines. Think there's a Perfectris too.
    Look at this FFS:

• Needs the Unreal Tournament announcer.
  • As daft as it sounds, even with it being one of the most ubiquitous and brilliant games in the history of the medium, I never really "got" Tetris. Ten minutes was all I could muster before the boredom set in. Turns out all it needed was a Rez skin and an immersive trance soundtrack, and suddenly I can't seem to stop playing it.
  • ^same
  • JonB wrote:
    Decahexatris is 16 lines. Think there's a Perfectris too.
    Look at this FFS:

Ho Lee Fark
  • Damn i missed the demo, too busy on weekend and now it cant be downloaded, sigh. I hate time limited demos
  • Damn I didn't see the demo on the store :( bah
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kazuo wrote:
    As daft as it sounds, even with it being one of the most ubiquitous and brilliant games in the history of the medium, I never really "got" Tetris. Ten minutes was all I could muster before the boredom set in. Turns out all it needed was a Rez skin and an immersive trance soundtrack, and suddenly I can't seem to stop playing it.
    I’m the opposite now. While never being brilliant at it, I lapped it up for years. Even when I was finished with my original game boy I still kept it handy just for Tetris. I’ve played various revamps over the years and get bored straight away. It’s all just the same old Tetris.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've always been a big tetris head and am annoyed I can't play this as I haven't moved past 360 yet.

I've always been able to play tetris for lengthy sessions - but I really like 2 player versus as well. Tetris went through a period of ill judged "improvements" that only sullied its purity which is more a salute to the original design.

However there have been versions of the game that have gently introduced new gameplay features that have improved upon the formula.

Wall kicks - meaning you don't have to move a piece one square in from the side to rotate it.
    Lock delay - meaning you have a period of time to rotate and move after touch down before the piece locks.
    Hold piece & Preview Queue
    Bag randomiser - meaning the game creates its random piece sequence based upon a series of randomised "bags" each containing the 7 different shapes. Means the longest you can go between 2 pieces the same is limited to 12. And skilled players can predict the shapes to come even without a preview.

Then there have been games with gentle rule changes - recognising t-spins for example, or back-to-back tetrises that help.

New Tetris on N64 introduced bonus lines for making 4x4 squares from the same pieces.

Tetris Party Dx on Wii by Hudson added in a pile of new modes that require Tetris skills but are completely different from the main game. The first game I've encountered to be successful at that.

Atari made a really nice arcade game of Tetris that ditches the "continuous mode" aspect of the game and makes it very enjoyable - though it suffers nowadays from older control scheme limitations. Was an excellent stab at introducing changes though.

Tetris Effect looks to be good from the point of view of a tetris game forgoing the visuals as the rules introduce new targets and combos to go for.

I'd like to see some sort of training mode that you can set at your skill limits which on prompting by the player can increase/decrease the speed. I reckon it would help me to improve.  Sprint mode isn't a bad option for this of course - a basic 25 or 40 line TT mode can stand in - but it's better to be forced along by the game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • From the little I looked around the menus it does seem like there's a few different modes tucked away. Included an online team goal challenge thing that could be interesting. Each challenge had a different style with the one I had throwing modifiers at you every now and then (no lock, no ghost, board flips etc) while you tried to get a certain number of lines. Your progress adding to the worldwide progress for the challenge.

Will be interesting to see if they do funky stuff with it.

I have fond memories of playing 10 player versus Tetris on the DS at uni during lectures with other students in the room. I wasn't a good student...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!