3D Printing and the journey to making toys
‹ Previous12
  • During Black Friday  Aldi were doing their 3D printer again.
    Famous in the 3D printing community for being a good quality home printer, so I picked one up.

Here it is...
    46664047_275663416479356_2551095309835653450_n.jpg

All set up
    46604364_2244810052422621_3712395828031193370_n.jpg

and the first print is on it's way
    45896436_289875021645695_6936814579904173592_n.jpg

I've started with a vase that came on the SD card, I chose that as I know what it should like like. So far the print looks good and even so hopefully I have the bed levelled correctly, which is the hardest part of the setup really.
  • The end game of my plan is to 3D model some characters, print them, use the prints to cast from and create resin toys.

Watching this printer go is so cool just printing a shitty vase, it's the bloody future innit.
  • 3D printers are rad, excited to see where this goes.
  • I'd love one of these, except it'd end up in the bottom of the cupboard with my laser engraver.  Show us some results!
  • @temps
    Same!

@Elm

Yeah, if I couldn't use 3D software I wouldnt have picked it up, uses are limited without the ability to make your own designs really.
    Will defo show results, probably got another hour or three on this vase. It's not a quick process thats for sure.

The shape of this vase is so even it is making the printing nozzle sound like the soundtrack to a 16 bit, sci-fi beat em up.
  • This is cool. Look forward to seeing the results.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Pro tip. Don't touch the 190 degreee hot nozzle.
  • I’ve got one of these 3D printing pens and no real idea what to do with it. It’s been sitting in the cupboard unopened for months.
  • Printing
    45381381_336885607140729_3456413085052421243_n.jpg

Printing
    46047732_346288466154448_4979205684707038593_n.jpg

PRUNT
    45302112_2191382137776337_7247703136859907423_n.jpg

Doesn't look like much but I went for about the easiest thing there is for the first go.
    It came out perfectly, its hard to see in photos with it being white. It is inscredibly thin, thinner than a plastic cup but the structure means it is quite strong.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice one Liv, looking forward to the progress pics!

Was looking into getting one here, but lack of space and no really stable underground means it was a no go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    By all accounts the pinball restoration community are into 3D scanning and printing for replacement ramps, gadgets etc.
  • Yeah I should imagine it would be really useful for that type of thing where original parts would have been long out of manufacture and only in limited numbers anyway.
  • I don't want to ask how much the cartridges are but how much are the cartridges?
  • davyK wrote:
    By all accounts the pinball restoration community are into 3D scanning and printing for replacement ramps, gadgets etc.

I bet they are the filthy buggers.
  • For PLA (the kind of default material) it is £12-£15 per kg.
    I'm not really sure how much printing that could be equated to, prints are hollow with support structure where necessary so they come out quite light. That vase weighs a matter of grams.
  • That's actually not too bad considering ink must be one of the most expensive liquids on Earth.
  • Yeah.
    Unfortunately the ink printer manufacturers have fucked that industry, they sell the printers at loss and make it up on ink. Ink that always seems to need replacing because the microchip in the cartridge says so.
    Luckily 3D printers seem too niche for the likes of HP to pay attention.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve got one of these 3D printing pens and no real idea what to do with it. It’s been sitting in the cupboard unopened for months.

Watching the video, it looks like the manufacturers have no idea either.

• My brother asked for a new knee. Which at age 34 doesn't sound good.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The vase looks pretty smooth, any artifacts on there at all?
  • None at all on the vase. It is a little bit more stepped than the photo looks but not bad at all, nothing that couldn't be smoothed off with some wet and dry.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice. I've seen people try to sell stuff on etsy which has lines all over the print. Never understood why they didn't bother to clean it up, at least it would show you'd care about the product you're selling.

(these were really simple stands for gb/gba cartridges, so almost all flat surfaces, nothing complicated)
  • 45376054_360943277988651_1793108503407107988_n.jpg
    Ickle robot, this one has a bit more clean up to do
  • Nina wrote:
    Nice. I've seen people try to sell stuff on etsy which has lines all over the print. Never understood why they didn't bother to clean it up, at least it would show you'd care about the product you're selling. (these were really simple stands for gb/gba cartridges, so almost all flat surfaces, nothing complicated)

Yeah, I would defo clean up. Also printing individual units for sale doesn't seem very time or cost effective.
  • This is pretty cool.
  • Liv, you're in charge of the Bear & badger end of year award trophies.
  • Haha.
    Maybe end of year 2020.
  • 3d printers are cool but you have to be good at fixing things as there's a lot that can go wrong with then.
    I've had a rigidbot for quite a few years and it's great.
    Just a pity they are so slow.
    You rang.....
    PSN:   theLurch666
    Wii U:  Lurch666
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, that looks great
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I had a Makerbot Replicator 2 around 5 years ago. 

I made my money back on it for a freelance prototype job... but never really used it again except for impressing people with bracelets and trinkets.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!