3D Printing and the journey to making toys
  • Always good when you can make your money back.
    That reminds me, a mate was on about some bracket thing that his old company could have printed and sold if they weren't so tight. Will message him.
  • Been a while since I have been in here.

So I have finalised the design of the toy I want to print.

DpsZVbV.jpg

Here he is broken down into parts, plan is to print the body and legs separately starting with the body.
    WAiVAq2.jpg

The fun begins. Spent most of the day printing plastic doilies so far.
    First off i struggled aligning the print bed. The bed should be aligned 0.1mm from the extruding nozzle. Obviously that is impossible to see so it is done by sliding a piece of paper between the two and feel it out, it should grip the paper but not so much it cant be removed.
    Realised my mistake I was using the auto align. This option goes to all 4 corners but really the first corner almost always needs adjustment again at the end.

Next I got a print out quickly. Not too suprising as I had the scale wrong and it was closer to the size of a Jelly Tot.

With that solved I started to get some good starts to prints before everything turning to Bishop's pubes.

Turns out that because the base is flat it requires support to be added. Luckily my software does it automatically, just need to adjust the overhang angle to 90 degrees.

Hopefully I will have a print to show tomorrow. WHo knows.
  • 3D printing VR attachable's might be a thing.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Or use VR to help build it.

• Some more failures and tweaks.

Here it is in the printing prep software.
    jSDjl6B.jpg

The base is known as the raft and provides support and adhesion to the print plate hopefully preventing it from being moved around with the vibrations of the printer.

Red is the main model.
    The rest are support struts. It is quite clever it is possible to change the thickness of the strut to ensure support but then have a much narrower connection on the last few passes meaning they can be removed easier.
  • I like that modular stock thing. Suprised it doesnt exist already as a product.

Thats the neat thing about 3D printing. It allows everyday schmos to take an idea and make it into something physical. It takes skill to model it in the first place but lots of files are available open source.
  • Well.
    Not a total failure but not a success either.
    1esVung.jpg
    The gaps give it a shredded wheat like feel.

My understanding is they are caused by either the flow of the extrusion being too slow and/or the layer beneath not having enough time to cool and collapsing. I also think I made the walls too thin.

Changed the settings and exported the file back out but another print run is gonna have to wait.
  • Quite the learning process this.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • How long did it take to print?
  • That took about 14 hours actual printing time. Paused it a few times as it's really not a good idea to leave them running when out the house.

@g

You're telling me!
    I will get there though. I just tell myself it's a hobby, it's not important so just take my time with it.
  • Back on this today and it nearly 3D printed its way into the canal.

Same problems as before, premade test prints perfect, my stuff goes to shit.

giphy.gif

I found a settings profile for the prnter using the recommended software. Would it load, would it fuck. Lots of people with the same issue, lost of jargon and sarcasm on forums.

In the end i opened up the settings file in notepad and just went through them.

As always it was the simplest bloody thing.

The setup instructions told me to change the diameter of the extruder nozzle but not the diameter of the printing material.
    Had it set 1mm too large.

Just set it to print something simple and its looking much, much better.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Some of the lads at the game club I go to have had great success with their printers, albeit after ALOT of trial and error. No idea what machines they have.

wi6b7l.jpg

5mcyz5.jpg

• Those look great.
    I'm getting there with mine.
  • Wow. Also liv, very jealous, the toys look awesome in design, hope you can get it printed ok.

I was following Huck Gee and Paul Budnitz (founder of Kidrobot) after their ‘superplastic’ Kickstarter. They showed everything from initial designs, to getting them made. Some of Wave 1 of the series just didn’t get made as they couldn’t get the colours right/do the design justice without more time.

It was really cool to see the whole process, but also makes me appreciate just how much work and attention goes into it.

Needless to say I own a bunch of them already...
  • These are cool.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!