GOTY 2018 - Let the grumbling begin
  • Ha. The #1 game only came out this year and we split hairs on “expansion”. It’s worth noting that edge counted it worthy as top 3 Nintendo game of the year.

Hollow Knight was in their ten too (albeit starting with a 'yes, we know...' thing).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wait what the fuck Octo is now accepted? That was my number one by a fucking mile
  • No we decided Octo wasn't counted as it's not separate DLC and requires the original to run.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Wait what the fuck Octo is now accepted? That was my number one by a fucking mile

So is slay the spire despite being early access from last year!
  • Allow everything that became playable last year imo. That's the only criteria - dlc or early access, if it's your fave playing experience that you were able to have for the first time last year it should be allowed. It just means it's extra amaze if it can trump a full release game.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was like Mario galaxy 3.
  • Although if you've already voted for it in one year you're banned from doing so in the next.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It came out in 2018. I played it in 2018
  • ALLOWED
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Someone resurrect Muzzy’s thread.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Someone resurrect Muzzy’s thread.

Lol.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Allow everything that became playable last year imo. That's the only criteria - dlc or early access, if it's your fave playing experience that you were able to have for the first time last year it should be allowed. It just means it's extra amaze if it can trump a full release game.
    So not Slay the Spire then. Early access in 2017. Released in 2019.

As much as I think this should be more flexible, I think the minimum criteria should be that the game was first released on something that year.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You don't need to resurrect something that is living and breathing
  • StS clearly hit the collective consciousness of this place in 2018, and people liked it. I don’t particularly care whether it gets blocked from being voted for this year or gets taken off this year for ineligibility. It’s an all time top 10 either way. Never intended to piss on anyone’s chips or block other games, it was just the best game that I played in 2018, and due to its progress through Early Access, late 2018 feels like the time the game hit its finished state.
  • Is fine if it's only blocked individually, so I can vote for it this year because I didn't in 2017.
  • Mines is just about locked, I think.

5. Spider-Man
    4. Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise
    3. Tetris Effect
    2. Forza Horizon 4
    1. Dead Cells
  • To clarify, I reckon you should be able to vote for it if it's dlc or early access from the year it's available in any form. On the other time side, you can't vote for a game that came out of early access in a previous year. Therefore StS is eligible for 17, 18 or 19, although it's an unusually protracted case. Octoexpansion allowed in 2018 only.
  • And no voting, on an individual level, for any game twice, but new dlc allowed.
  • Destiny 2 appears to still be in Early Access, so thats on my list.
  • I think I feel happy with the following:

1. Into the Breach (switch version) - wonderful game, perfectly suited to the system. The music is also beautiful. It's not quite the strategy game I thought it would be but its a game that gets the hooks in and fast.

2. Forza Horizon 4 - I think this is the game burnout paradise wanted to be but didnt quite get there. I'm only a bit in but its a game I can see lasting a long time. Really enjoyable controls, beautiful graphics backed up by one hell of a game world.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Maybe this is only at 3 because I dont have a huge amount of new games... Beautiful to look at and atmospheric but the game design seems a bit old school and I've stopped playing a few times when I realize how far back into a mission I get sent if I mess up.

4. Er....

5. Must start buying new games....
    SFV - reddave360
  • Destiny 2 appears to still be in Early Access, so thats on my list.

Destiny 1 never made it out of early access!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 2. Forza Horizon 4
    1. Dead Cells

Yes Gav.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Okay, here we go.

Honourable mentions to Spider-Man, Sea of Thieves, and Into The Breach, and shout outs to Obra Dinn and Donut County which I need to do.

5) Forza Horizon 4
    It was Brexit Britain, it was our time. Forza finally came home, thanks to Playground Games, and as part of this, I long thought that I'd get to see my house in a game. Sadly, Newhaven was not as long as one would think, and Leith walk and Stockbridge both went a bit weird in the final product.
    But that's a testament to the game itself. Everything else feels so real, so tangible, that you want to expect the world to conform to those rules too. Forza Horizon is always a blast. Sadly I only got online with others twice since release, but I am hopeful that will increase. For single player Forza though, the challenge is there - what else? We have had the same events every year, and they have run like clockwork. What's going to separate it from the pack next time, as the original Horizon did from Motorsports? Nevertheless, more wonder from Playground.

4) Celeste
    Somewhat ignominiously dropped at the start of the year, 2018's best platformer is an incredible feat. Nevermind the banging soundtrack, the forgiving nature of the game, the overall message, my overall memories about Celeste are that it's incredibly fun to play.
    Every loss feels like a lesson, and in the manner of other titles like Super Meat Boy or Guacamelee, it lets you go straight back to it without any thought of holding you to ransom. What a cool game.

3) Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    Everyone is here. This is, in some ways, an understatement, when you consider that Ness from Earthbound's dad is also here, albeit in Spirit Form. I can't think of a single title that has had so much put into it from a video game history point of view. That every spirit encounter is fully thought through, with regards to not only enemy but conditions, is ridiculous in itself. Add to that 900 tracks of audio , every classic mode being tailored to the character you are playing, and a support spirit mode that adds completely cromulent additives, and this is probably the biggest celebration of videogames that has every existed. Whether you care for the Smash itself is another question (I've been onboard since GameCube) but you cannot deny that as a time capsule of games until 2018, there is nothing like Smash.

2) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 : The Torna Expansion
    Okay. I'm sneaking this on here because of the technicalities of standalone titles. And I'm sure that I'll be the only person to vote for it, but I need to say - Xenoblade 2 deserves its props. The original title dropped at the tail end of 2018 and therefore I was about 4 hours into it when I listed my games. Dropping it for a bit in a new year lull, I went back with a renewed purpose, and one of the most transformative experiences I had was understanding the orbs, and breaking them during combat. Suddenly the game became this incredible chessmatch.
    Along with that, I gained an affinity for Rex and Mythra, in particular, and a wider understanding of the world. The ending of the original game, finished in May, upset me, and when I got to the end of the Torna Expansion, a title that encouraged exploration, investigation, and imagination, I saw how everything looped around. I literally burst into a flood of tears as I realised it was the end of my Xenoblade experience.
    Torna streamlines combat, levelling up, narrative, and exploration to an incredible degree. As it is a prequel, I'd recommend anyone who is curious about Xenoblade start there. All I can do is start the clock to Xenoblade 3 - but it is telling that it is the first RPG in decades I've wanted to NGP.

1) Hitman 2
    Fuckin Hitman. Seriously. So when I get to drop a big ol' statue on a drug lord who is peddling Super Cocaine, I tend to notice the game. Hitman 2 is more of what I needed, without me realising I wanted it. It's a chaos simulator. If I do X then random Y and Z happen, how do I now contort them. The original 2016 reboot of Hitman was unstoppable, and introduced shit like Helmut Krieger. I'm sorry, Helmut, but a giant pink flamingo and Florida guy have taken you place.
    Hitman revels in excess, in the challenge to do theost absurd thing possible. It was not enough to break Robert Knox's neck, I had to ride a speedboat out. Hitman is the silliest game of all time and dumping the first into that has only cemented it as a platform I want, nay, need more of. Game of the year.

Bump Forza, octo is 1, everything else down one
  • Atm the list is as follows, but with the soft deadline it may change as I hope to start God of War next week. Alas Dead Cells, Celeste, Octo Expansion, Hollow Knight & few others I'm probably forgetting but have purchased, won't make the cut before the deadline.

I will attempt to flesh these choices out with some added words if I get time.

5: Monster Hunter World
    4: Octopath Traveller
    3: Smash Bro's Ultimate
    2: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The Torna Expansion
    1: Spider-man

Close but no cigar.

Into the breach
    DBZ Fighters
    Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Edit: Detroit: Become Human

Turkey of the year.

Ni No Kuni 2.

• Can I have have the first splatoon if the dlc counts?
    The Forum Herald™
  • It will please everyone to know that I've re-done the scores so that only games that actually qualify count and Dead Cells won with 75 points
  • Win win for fans of sts and dc.

I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!