The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Maybe it short for ‘serious’. Xbox SRS BSNS.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Series X is XTREEM
    Series S is SUPER AFFORDABLE

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The S bit isn't quite as simple as has been made out. You have:

Xbox One S - it's an Xbox One but smol
    Xbox One S All-Digital Edition - it's an Xbox One but smol and a bit cheaper because it doesn't have a disc drive
    Xbox Series S - it's an Xbox Series X but it has completely different specs and might not even be smol
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I still can’t get over what a shit name Xbox actually is.  It’s just Poochy basically.
  • nick_md wrote:
     N heck they just call the console a different name entirely each time.
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Light
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Gameboy Advance Micro

DS
    DS Lite
    DSi
    3DS
    3ds XL
    New 3ds XL
    2DS
    New 2DS XL

Wii
    Wii lite (or something, didnt have the Gamecube stuff or silver stand. I dont think they even renamed this one just stripped functionality)
    Wii Mini
    Wii U

Nobody died
  • Honestly, I wonder how some people get by in everyday life if they're so confused by the Xbox consoles names.
  • I still can’t get over what a shit name Xbox actually is.  It’s just Poochy basically.

It’s always been shit, hasn’t it?

The took a nomenclature created by software engineers and figured it was good enough for marketing a consumer entertainment product.

Microsoft’s media handling APIs were called Direct. That resulted in loads of APIs within Windows being called DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectSound, Direct3D, etc. Eventually they bundled them all up into an API system and called it DirectX. The games console was originated as a way of using all that stuff to run a consumer box, so they called it the DirectX Box. Somebody somewhere thought shortening it to XBox sounded cool enough to stick with.
  • It's because Xbox is pretty close to Sex Box, and who doesn't want one of those?
  • Bloody hell it’s even bigger than the PS5.

sex-box-the-genital-warts-of-television-body-image-1460458991-size_1000.png?output-quality=75
  • Nearly all consoles sound shit don't they?

Wii = Piss
    Dreamcast = Aryan ideologies
    Gameboy = sexist
    Switch = Gives and takes in the bum
    Playstation = Wank seat
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
     N heck they just call the console a different name entirely each time.
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Light
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Gameboy Advance Micro

DS
    DS Lite
    DSi
    3DS
    3ds XL
    New 3ds XL
    2DS
    New 2DS XL

Wii
    Wii lite (or something, didnt have the Gamecube stuff or silver stand. I dont think they even renamed this one just stripped functionality)
    Wii Mini
    Wii U

Nobody died

There was absolute confusion between the SNES and the nes leading to outraged parents in the US.

And to bring the Wii and the WiiU in here is.... Not helping.
  • Point was they don't really change the names that often.
    WiiU failed for many a reason, people would have got the name if it held their interest for more than a minute. The DS did alright.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Point was they don't really change the names that often.

Yeah but that doesn't work sometimes either.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Honestly, I wonder how some people get by in everyday life if they're so confused by the Xbox consoles names.

I barely am able to function m8

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • poprock wrote:
    I still can’t get over what a shit name Xbox actually is.  It’s just Poochy basically.
    It’s always been shit, hasn’t it? The took a nomenclature created by software engineers and figured it was good enough for marketing a consumer entertainment product. Microsoft’s media handling APIs were called Direct. That resulted in loads of APIs within Windows being called DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectSound, Direct3D, etc. Eventually they bundled them all up into an API system and called it DirectX. The games console was originated as a way of using all that stuff to run a consumer box, so they called it the DirectX Box. Somebody somewhere thought shortening it to XBox sounded cool enough to stick with.

Yeah, i knew all that but i still picture some early 00’s MS marketing execs shouting Xtreme and the like at each other whilst they all get how rad they all are.

Mind you a Play Station isn’t great either, really is it?
  • The naming is completely understandable. I mean, look at this totally radical dude

2506759-2021422079-11229.jpg
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Honestly, I wonder how some people get by in everyday life if they're so confused by the Xbox consoles names.

I barely am able to function m8

That’s why we love you!
  • hunk wrote:
    My guess is LockHart only exists if Sony plays along nicely with PS5 pricing. PS5 + xbox series X (500-600) If Sony decides: fuck it we're undercutting xbox again (400), things get dicey for LockHart. MS might cancel that SKU altogether as it's existence would make no sense in context of PS5 pricing. MS is obviously bullish and doesn't expect Sony to drop so low. We'll see in a month eh?

Also, base pricing might not be the ultimate weapon MS will wield.
    Next gen will be all about gameservices like Live and Gamepass. Combine these with seriesS/X hw and 1-2 yearly subs of 20-35 a month (similar to phones) and.....you've got a bussiness model? It would make them bypass Sony's traditional pricing strategy even if they would drop PS5 pricing to 400.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bit worrying if this is correct, next gen versions of NBA2021 is $10 more expensive than current gen versions, I imagine they’ll all be the same difference in price.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-02-nba-2k21-price-is-usd10-more-expensive-on-xbox-series-x-and-ps5
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    If the leaks are accurate, perhaps Lockhart's target audience isn't just the under the telly brigade but people with 1080/1440p monitors (the majority).

$200 is a very competitive route to next gen games for those in bedrooms and basements still rockin' a Compaq 486.

Edit: Sorry Gaz, I didn't look up.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Bit worrying if this is correct, next gen versions of NBA2021 is $10 more expensive than current gen versions, I imagine they’ll all be the same difference in price. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-02-nba-2k21-price-is-usd10-more-expensive-on-xbox-series-x-and-ps5

I was waiting for this.
    It is certainly something to consider when weighing up a digital version of any console.

Funny how they always talk about the cost of games going up but don't talk about additional revenue streams and the fact that the market has grown massively. Not to mention how the industry has become incredibly top heavy with salaries and bonuses. Take 2 made $1.5bil gross profit last year.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They state it's because dev costs increase with the new machines, but surely that's every cycle? Shouldn't that be the cost of doing business in this industry and you build int into your financials? 

So when U5 becomes standard and there is less asset work required are they going to drop the prices by $10? Of course not.

Edit - £85! For a single game!!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    [Nervous laughter] £85!! What kind of idiot would spend that on a videogame!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Trying to recall what I've spent on Destiny

*thinking*
  • I think next gen games are always more expensive (except for between SNES and PlayStation)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Subscription models now seem even more attractive.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • This is why, as always, I won't be buying games on release. I'll stick to Gamepass and steam sales.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think next gen games are always more expensive (except for between SNES and PlayStation)

PS2 games were cheaper than PS1.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, I remember PES whatever and FIFA 07 launching at £29.99 on PS2.
  • I only really got into games again during the HD era - so that’s my reference point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!