The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Series X is built to take advantage of machine learning, I believe. Whereas PS5 isn't. How long it will take to actually see the benefits of it is anybody's guess.
  • It’s this gen’s cloud.
  • The Cloud might have been alright if America wasnt mostly backwards hicksville with dialup internet.
  • I’m ignorant what’s this machine learning in relation to Microsoft and consoles?
    I know what it is for say, re teaching a computer to recognise a human face.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Xbox Series X is gonna use machine learning to recombobulate its insides to give it MORE POWER instead of needing you to buy a mid-gen bump console. Just need to donate it a bunch of raw materials - don't worry, the human body is full of carbon and such!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I’m ignorant what’s this machine learning in relation to Microsoft and consoles?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvidias-rtx-dlss-technology/

Have a squint at that Panty.

Not sure what talking about it has done to rattle Tempy's cage but these are strange times
  • Cage not rattled, just making a fun joke!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I’m ignorant what’s this machine learning in relation to Microsoft and consoles?

Basically you train it to be able to upscale, say, 1440p to native 4K so that it actually looks indistinguishable from real native 4K. So instead of wasting power on resolution you can focus it on framerate or raytracing instead.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The machine learning cores in the XSX might be as much about providing alternative revenue streams for Xcloud server blades as anything else, although I don’t doubt that someone will take advantage of them for something game-related at some point.
  • Will it be used for large scale world destruction in the online side of a much delayed sequel to a favourite game of the 360 era?  Couldn’t be done without it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d say that the cloud finally proved it’s worth with Microsoft Flight Simulator. That sure as hell couldn’t have been done without it, but there you go.
  • AND STILL NO RELEASE DATE GODDAMMIT
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Interesting. I do wonder if this unified dev environment is impacting the ability for the Series X to stretch its legs.

I also wonder how realistic this 120hz chasing is. It feels like the same as last gen chasing 4K. Just a new number for people to fixate on. I’d rather just have solid 60fps.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:

That's why they need the infinite power of the clod for Craig.
  • The 120fps thing is an odd one.
    Go back 6-12 months and really nobody was talking anything more than stable 60fps.

It seems that since Sony and MS stated it was possible there has been a fixation on it. Really just means it supports the output required to get it on a TV/monitor.

I am amazed how people can watch Digital Foundry stuff that often mind. It is dull as all fuck. I will give them a watch if it is a game I really feel requires strong performance and I'm gonna buy. Otherwise I find it all very dry and not really what console gaming is. You want your 4k, raytraced, 120fps across all games then better save your pennies for a very expensive PC.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If something is based primarily on reactions and fun and shit instead of characters and world building, I could see it potentially being worth dropping to 1080p etc. in order to have a more responsive game, especially in multiplayer. I don't really play Fall Guys to marvel at the graphics.
  • The black levels look nicer on PS5
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The blacks look nicer on PS5

Wow, Xbox has no games AND it's racist.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @LivDiv I like some of their stuff, and I find the comparison stuff interesting and also liked all their preview stuff on the Series X in the run up to launch.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Wow, Xbox has no games AND it's racist.

Amended so as not to sound like im in the KKK
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @LivDiv I like some of their stuff, and I find the comparison stuff interesting and also liked all their preview stuff on the Series X in the run up to launch.
    Each to their own I guess.
    Enjoy what you enjoy.
  • I'm obsessed with prison cooking videos so who am I to judge.
    Spoiler:
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    The 120fps thing is an odd one. Go back 6-12 months and really nobody was talking anything more than stable 60fps.

When microLEDs arrive they'll have enough brightness for aggressive BFI, and you'll want 120Hz to avoid flicker for that. CRTs blast an image that quickly fades, and then the rest of each frame — the majority — is darkness. I can adjust this on my monitor, but despite being really bright on max I can only go up to about 30-40% darkness before it's too dim.

So I really welcome a 120Hz microLED future, despite realising that most manufacturers won't include user adjustment for BFI. But maybe if just one does, that'll cause a bit of a sales spike from enthusiasts and lead others to adopt. You can buy miniLEDs at the minute, but they're inferior tech out to nab the unwary who've heard of microLED and don't know there's a difference. That's why we have to avoid using mLED for now.

I bought my Series S because I won't be buying a 4K screen for years, since none match the motion of my 1080 options. Neither of which are blur-free, they're just much better than fixed-BFI sample-and-hold OLEDs and their kin. DF have to avoid mentioning this again, but they were right then and will be for the foreseeable:

• Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting 120fps wouldnt be a good thing (although returns diminish like most fidelity).

More that I dont think this time last year anybody expected it from these consoles and now there seems to be an element of disappointment it isnt there from some parts.

If you were always into it and given you are a fight boy Escape I am sure you would be then fair play. Just seems at a broader level it has become the latest drum to bang.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep exactly that. Misplaced effort. Last gen it was native 4K which never appeared properly. Now it’s this. I’d rather they put the effort into getting solid 4K 60.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Fightmen run well enough at 60fps for gameplay (you could do more advanced anims at 120, at the cost of devtime), it's the lack of motion blur you can achieve with aggressive BFI I'm hankering for, and remember how flickery PC CRTs were at 60Hz? Much more comfortable at 100+, but games could still run at 60fps and I'd be quite happy with that (two refreshes per frame).

Input lag's another problem (where 120fps halves the visual response time of every input), but that's generally improving. The DualSense has slightly lower latency than a DS4 over Bluetooth, and though most fightmen still have 4-5f of lag, that's down from the 7-8f of a few years ago.

Older LCDs had much higher latency because of how their crystals work, but most of that challenge has been overcome now. At least to reasonable levels, and the hope is for microLED to be the first post-CRT tech where it isn't a factor for anyone.

As to why you'd want a higher framerate in games, it's not for singular inputs (where we'd all struggle to tell 60fps from 240 even), but for cumulative cohesion, as brilliantly demonstrated here:

The annoying thing (as mentioned by DF just upthread) is that CRTs can run games in lower resolutions and still look good, opening the door for super-high framerates. Instead we've VRR, working backwards from fixed-native 4K to try and make framerate dips less obvious.
  • I'm all for the push towards 120 FPS, it makes a lot of sense for a visual interactive medium, I would say that it's generally more important that max resolution anyway. I think 120 support will be mainly seen on stuff like racing and competitive FPS games, where it will be a real game changer, obviously the difference will be less noticeable in slower paced stuff.

As I always say everyone has a different sensitivity to Hz, but if you get the opportunity I highly recommend trying >60 FPS out to see where the diminishing returns are for you. Something fairly stable and smooth with first person mouse aiming is a good way to test it out, like try Half Life 2 with various frame rate cap settings, 60/80/100/120 etc. For me 60 to 90 or even just 80 is a night and day difference. My opinion is that 60 should be considered the minimum for games, anything fast paced and requiring precision input anyway.
  • Escape wrote:
    As to why you'd want a higher framerate in games, it's not for singular inputs (where we'd all struggle to tell 60fps from 240 even), but for cumulative cohesion, as brilliantly demonstrated here:

That's a really good demo, you see a similar difference when you move a mouse cursor around on a high refresh vs standard display. The perceptual difference is really quite profound when you decrease input latency, you get a much better feeling of connection and immersion when you are interacting with something that responds immediately.

It reminds me of talks about some of the really pioneering early computer systems and the first physical and graphical user interfaces, people doing that research back then really understood the importance of getting an immediate response from a system.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    144Hz on my monitor helps a lot, but even with mild strobing it's still sample-and-hold with some amount of perceptible blurring, so I can't say I wouldn't be able to play better at 72Hz on a CRT. All I know is that 120Hz+ without blur is the grail manufacturers should be chasing.

FEDs might've been it, but were too expensive compared to LCDs and harder to slim down. When I played Live for Speed when LCDs were quite new tech and I had one, there was one guy none of us could beat, and he even used an older MOMO wheel instead of our G25s! Turned out he was also using a CRT while most of the rest of us had ‘moved on’.
  • It is difficult because it is all a balance.

I think most people understand price/resolution/framerate as a bit of a triangle .

The reality though is that without a sort of test or control game for that it is somewhat meaningless.
    I know quite a few of the outlets that test these things have their games of choice. Tomb Raider, Doom etc are quite often used and that's fine as they are fairly average AAA games in their demands.

That can't be compared to what a console advertises as being capable of though in terms of technical possibility.
    I seem to remember Rayman Origins was 1080p/30 native on the 360 and looked gorgeous. That 360 was speced as a 1080/30 console but pretty much nothing did what Raymond did.

Then you get into the deeper creative aspects I dont expect consumers to understand, it is bloody complex. However what has to be understood is that processing power has to be offset against creative ambition and technical ability. In layman's terms, some games look shit while others blow your mind using the same hardware.

I was playing MK11 Ultimate last night on my Series S. There was a bit with Raiden walking in a desert type environment
    His hat was black with a subtle woven pattern and mottled dirt/wear that also had varied reflection that caught the light. I know how this is done, its my job to know but seeing it in a realtime/in engine thing was very impressive.
    Increased resolution helps of course but this was really all about grunt being able to handle more complex shaders.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!