The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Having had both new consoles since launch, I’m impressed with what’s being offered.

My go to console has been the Series X, because a lot of the games are new to me. I’ve really enjoyed playing online with folk here and some old friends too. Having Game Pass as a ready made selection of titles to choose from is ace.

The PS5 has pretty much sat unused, but I’ve now put a few hours into MM and DS - I think both are very impressive launch titles. I’ve also grinned massively at Astrobot, while singing the GPU song in my head, and downloaded a few of my old PS4 games too. All good stuff.

Both consoles promise more in the future, but right now I think gaming is in a really good place.
    That's a nice write up but the most important question is

WHICH ONE IS BEST??
    You're not allowed to like both. Where are your "gamer" roots huh?? You have to be a fanboi for one only, it's the LAW

In that case, the Switch is best.
  • For me xbox will always be my fave out of the big 2.

Mainly for the memories.

The original xbox getting me through a rough divorce while i was living back at my moms.

The 360 for the marvellous online, the friendships made in gears and the like.

The One for the like of forza horizon and the start of 4k

The x is all about refresh rate and games pass and im warming to it

PSN - minkymu
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Having had both new consoles since launch, I’m impressed with what’s being offered. My go to console has been the Series X, because a lot of the games are new to me. I’ve really enjoyed playing online with folk here and some old friends too. Having Game Pass as a ready made selection of titles to choose from is ace. The PS5 has pretty much sat unused, but I’ve now put a few hours into MM and DS - I think both are very impressive launch titles. I’ve also grinned massively at Astrobot, while singing the GPU song in my head, and downloaded a few of my old PS4 games too. All good stuff. Both consoles promise more in the future, but right now I think gaming is in a really good place.

I concur, gaming is in a very good place right now. With these new consoles bringing 60fps regularly to the table and 120fps to competitive/ twitch stuff + a host of visual advancements, world-building complexity, immediacy of experience etc... We may be potentially entering a golden era of gaming imo.

That includes Nintendo too, off on their own incorrigible, yet often fruitful nin-tangent.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Which thread has someone posted a link to a Dildo from Amazon ? Cos this appeared in my adverts on my yahoo email app today !!
    Spoiler:

1loHqYi.gif
  • Just thinking that it would be a useful addition to DF site is a list of 360/Xbox One /PS4 games that have unlocked framerates to take advantage of our new consoles.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

• When emulation devs get there before the official platform holders?
    Posted here since bc is now a next gen feature.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Oh my - Gradius V would nearly be worth the risk of pissing off MS.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why would it piss off MS? It's not a hack, it's a MS mode.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I suspect Developer Mode is intended for development, not emulation. No idea what the EULA or whatever says tho!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fwiw, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/windows/agreements/xbox-one-developer-mode-activation says
    PURPOSE. You may activate your Xbox One retail console as a console to test development of applications for the Xbox One (a "Devkit") including demonstrating your applications.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Retroarch is an application that’s being developed, testing it isn’t breaking any terms.

Edit: any terms in that quote at least.
  • I think Game Pass has killed my desire to buy games. Hitman 2 is £12 on PSN, but all I’m thinking is it’ll come to Game Pass around Hitman 3.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I think Game Pass has killed my desire to buy games. Hitman 2 is £12 on PSN, but all I’m thinking is it’ll come to Game Pass around Hitman 3.
    Same here. Haven't been close to buying much at all this year. Almost pulled the trigger on Doom Eternal but decided to wait. Turns up on GP. Tempted with Control in the Black Friday sale but decided to wait due to all the rumours of it coming to GP. And looks like it's coming in December. I bought Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order in a sale when it was £20. It's now in GP so should probably have waited for that too. I'm keen on the recent Resident Evil remakes but as 7 has already been in GP I'm guessing it's a matter of time until they are too.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I was in CEX today (*shiver*) when a customer at the next till asked if they had any Series S or X consoles in.  The girl said that it was probably a bit too early for them to have any.  But then the guy serving me chirped up that they had in fact had some in.  Customer asks how much they’re selling them for, he hits her with £650 for the Series S and £850 for the Series X.  I think he might have detected my expression through my mask, as he quickly added that it might be better to wait until the usual retailers get some stock back in.
    Get schwifty.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I was in CEX today (*shiver*) when a customer at the next till asked if they had any Series S or X consoles in.  The girl said that it was probably a bit too early for them to have any.  But then the guy serving me chirped up that they had in fact had some in.  Customer asks how much they’re selling them for, he hits her with £650 for the Series S and £850 for the Series X.  I think he might have detected my expression through my mask, as he quickly added that it might be better to wait until the usual retailers get some stock back in.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-02-cex-under-fire-from-customers-and-staff-for-eye-watering-gbp815-playstation-5-price
  • CEX (not store staff) are a bunch of grubby, greedy cunts. This is of no real shock.
    The simple answer is to not buy the console if the price offends you. Or go one step further and dont shop there at all.
  • Don't buy it. Don't buy it. Don't buy it. Leave them on the shelves and let that price drop, thus obliterating their margin. Fuck them.
  • Yeh but they will also give you £650 cash, right now for a PS5.
    So, shrug.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Some things they have aren't ludicrously priced, and it can be easier than ebay etc. if you have recent stuff you've one-and-done.

But yeah, fuck those prices!
  • Fucking hell, I've barely used my S. Should I cash in?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Cash in, then buy another one from a normal shop in a couple of months. Blow the profit on cambabes or something.
  • I checked the S prices. They are nowhere near the X and PS5 ones. Selling price is basically RRP.
  • It’s cold comfort for those still waiting but it feels like the supply is better than with switch after launch and other consoles.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Some things they have aren't ludicrously priced, and it can be easier than ebay etc. if you have recent stuff you've one-and-done. But yeah, fuck those prices!
    I think they have some algorithm that prices shit for them and it's all based on rarity. 
    If a game is massively popular but people are keeping hold of it and not trading it in then price is high. 
    Likewise I've seen relatively new games be returned in droves and the price they charge drops like a stone.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep, supply and demand innit. Tends to be not too far below eBay for voucher prices, though that locks you into their market with higher prices more generally. Can is a bit lower still. Friends what you want really - for something recent want to buy some older things, it can work out well.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Fucking hell, I've barely used my S. Should I cash in?

Yes, then buy some Quest prescription lenses and your journey to the dark side will be complete.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Apparently they have sold every single next gen console they bought in the same day.

Obvs its a fucking rob, but if you have a ton of old stuff to trade in and a bit of spare cash then why not
    PSN - minkymu
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    There has been a Series X in our house for two days and still boxed. Even though it's been a madhouse the truth is, I just can't be arsed to set it up knowing it's just a shiner X with no exclusives. Phil, please tell me VR is coming...
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    we get it Hair. Srsly
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s exhausting.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!