The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Your vision needs to be completely cut off from the outside world or it wont work.

I get that, my point is that this is the drawback with it that I think will prevent it from going mainstream.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    John Carmack and Facebook do (cue the vitriol).
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Companies make bad calls all the time.

Videogaming is an industry littered with mistakes.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    South of Dudley mate.Titanfall 3 i think is a dead duck unfortunately. Respawn are too gassed with free to play shite

To be fair they have a microtransaction free SP game out this month.
    Titty3 is probably dead though, cheers EA.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Your vision needs to be completely cut off from the outside world or it wont work.
    I get that, my point is that this is the drawback with it that I think will prevent it from going mainstream.

I actually like a bit of light leak at the base of the nose (on the Quest) as it lets me know my real-world bearings, and means I can check my phone or swig a can if needed. When playing, my brain filters out any leak, but if I look for it I find it. I know I'm probably in the minority there.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You're not Nick. Regarding being cut off from your surroundings, the built in speakers allow you to hear the world, and soon pressing a button will switch on the pass through cameras.

Wireless VR is the next gen now really. Whatever size TV or projector you have doesn't have the impact and freedom of a headset.

Coming this month, you can hook the Quest up to a PC and play thousands of games using the Rift/Steam/Vive libraries.

Christmas is going to be amazing for those jumping in.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Regarding PSVR sales, I’d be more interested to know how many of those sets are being used daily / weekly / monthly / whatever.
  • All talk of VR then Facebook reminds me of this:
    https://youtu.be/ValqBCvtQUM

If Rockstar done GTAVR, it'd soon be mainstream. Someone needs to launch with it as an exclusive bundle.....
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well you can do Breath of the Wild VR on PC so doubt that's far away.
  • Yeah but that's a kids game innit?
    And not official.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    All talk of VR then Facebook reminds me of this:
    https://youtu.be/ValqBCvtQUM

If Rockstar done GTAVR, it'd soon be mainstream. Someone needs to launch with it as an exclusive bundle.....

With Rockstar’s mastery of cameras? It’s as likely to make everyone who tries it be violently ill and kill VR dead.
  • As usual, I think you're all wrong and you're all right. VR is going to be a more mainstream (defined both by sheer numbers in houses / offices, and the actual use cases within those houses / offices) proposition - it's just too useful, too immersive, too exciting to not be a part of the future.

But it'll never replace, or become de-facto "gaming" platform. It'll be add-ons and standalones as it is today, and not a decisive factor in a particular platform's (PS5 vs Xbox vs Switch2 etc) success, because of everything that Yoss and Dino and Kara are saying - it's just too awkward, too solo, too limited in a normal home environment to be the future.

AR is the truly mainstream (ie: everyone will have some kind of AR capability, like they do smartphones) proposition, as it enriches reality rather than replaces it, and comes with none f the drawbacks - a simple accessory and you're in. Grannies will be rocking them in 10-15 years.
  • I don't think anyone is saying VR will be the only way to play though - but I personally think its the most likely to provide genuinely new and exciting concepts in the next gen. It has a way to go but so did 3D gameplay (not visuals) when it first appeared. It took the likes of Mario 64 etc. to really get things moving beyond "hey, this is a novelty" to really bring out the best. I think VR will bring new approaches to games that we haven't fully seen yet. Like the move 2D to 3D, the overall concept may not change (hey, collect some gold coins) but the way we do it might.

And while that's going on, we'll still have plenty of joypad based, non vr games.  As much as kids might be fluent with touch screen these days, I still think the standard controller with its d-pad, 2 analogues, 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons gives a nuance that will prove hard to beat.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Something weird going on at Sony, surely. Shawn Layden gone, Gio Corsi gone. Shuhei Yoshida?! Now in a smaller role.

That crew were pretty much the architects of the Vita and PS4 era.
  • That’s 3 big departures in about 6 weeks.
  • Reducing the wage bill for a big money signing.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Something weird going on at Sony, surely. Shawn Layden gone, Gio Corsi gone. Shuhei Yoshida?! Now in a smaller role. That crew were pretty much the architects of the Vita and PS4 era.

Apparently the top guy from guerilla just got promoted to head of Sony world wide.
    But aye, changing of the guard at the start of next gen.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Something weird going on at Sony, surely. Shawn Layden gone, Gio Corsi gone. Shuhei Yoshida?! Now in a smaller role. That crew were pretty much the architects of the Vita and PS4 era.

Apparently the top guy from guerilla just got promoted to head of Sony world wide.
    But aye, changing of the guard at the start of next gen.

Herman Hulst!

Shu Yoshida has now moved to head of indie Dev relationships.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hermen had been aiming for a higher position within Sony for quite a while. So apparently he got it.
    Something weird going on at Sony, surely. Shawn Layden gone, Gio Corsi gone. Shuhei Yoshida?! Now in a smaller role.

That crew were pretty much the architects of the Vita and PS4 era.
    Wasn't there another one? Right after Shawn?
    What's weird is that there's hardly any info about it. Shawn was for sure a likeable guy and he just went quitly.

• Yeah, Shawn was just gone out of the blue. Big loss for them - dude was brilliant all gen.

And yeah, there was probably another. I know Asad went to PlayStation pictures, and he’s been a biggish producer since the god of war 2 days, but that seems like a sideways career move rather than a push or jump off the ship.
  • Quick let's ask analysts what they think it all means
  • It could go either way.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I just need to know if it's because of the ps5 design.
  • Yes, Nintendo just can't cope with it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The PS5 looks like a toilet, so it’s clearly capable of disposing of a wii.
  • I read somewhere that there’s a bit of a power struggle going on as Sony try to centralise the PS brand. They shut down a big old part of the UK bit recently and hid it behind that Wired article about the PS5.  Have done similar stuff to other regions too.  Apparently then new US based team are trying to assert themselves and their decisions.  All seems a bit odd to me and I think they’re gonna regret it.  They don’t seem to be on as sound a footing as they were at the end of the last gen when it was MS making all the mis-steps.  

Part of the PS success in all regions (rather than just uk/us like Xbox) had been the decision to de-centralise marketing to each specific area and then allow these satellite offices to source and back games that they know will sell well in their region.  LBP, Until Dawn etc etc.  It’s probably the biggest reason that PS4 has had such a wide range of games that can appeal to different global areas.  Basically the new team have fucked all that and put it in the bin within the first 12 weeks of taking over.  Hhhhmmmmm.
  • Reminds me of Bernie Stolar leaving Sony for Sega.

Dreamcast 2 is coming!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Fuck me I’ve got wood
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!