The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Cartridge leaks are best avoided in my experience.
  • Wasn't one of the problems for the vita the expensive proprietary formats? It seemed to find its place as a great home for indi downloads not full fledged games.

I didn't own one, but those who did praised it's build quality and feel etc... But I can't remember many big killer titles for it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'd buy another Sony handheld for sure, but I'm not convinced this is a promising development.  A cartridge slot would suggest it's a Vita successor rather than a streaming device and I don't think they'd bother.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Wasn't one of the problems for the vita the expensive proprietary formats? It seemed to find its place as a great home for indi downloads not full fledged games.

I didn't own one, but those who did praised it's build quality and feel etc... But I can't remember many big killer titles for it.

Yeah, but switch has shown physical format doesnt need to be an issue. Nearly all of my switch games came from download.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Wasn't one of the problems for the vita the expensive proprietary formats? It seemed to find its place as a great home for indi downloads not full fledged games.

Yeah, but switch has shown physical format doesnt need to be an issue. Nearly all of my switch games came from download.

I think Nintendo learned from Vita if Sony had built in some memory day one, fitted two shoulder buttons, ignored back touch pads and used regular sd cards it should’ve been a hit
    The Forum Herald™
  • I read somewhere that there’s a bit of a power struggle going on as Sony try to centralise the PS brand. They shut down a big old part of the UK bit recently and hid it behind that Wired article about the PS5.  Have done similar stuff to other regions too.  Apparently then new US based team are trying to assert themselves and their decisions.  All seems a bit odd to me and I think they’re gonna regret it.  They don’t seem to be on as sound a footing as they were at the end of the last gen when it was MS making all the mis-steps.  

Part of the PS success in all regions (rather than just uk/us like Xbox) had been the decision to de-centralise marketing to each specific area and then allow these satellite offices to source and back games that they know will sell well in their region.  LBP, Until Dawn etc etc.  It’s probably the biggest reason that PS4 has had such a wide range of games that can appeal to different global areas.  Basically the new team have fucked all that and put it in the bin within the first 12 weeks of taking over.  Hhhhmmmmm.

Sony Pictures did exactly this back in about 2010.
    They used to have v good sales in the home cinema market because teams around Europe championed films for their markets and changed artwork to suit.
    Then the US pulled it all back to them and I don't know how they are doing know.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd buy another Sony handheld for sure, but I'm not convinced this is a promising development.  A cartridge slot would suggest it's a Vita successor rather than a streaming device and I don't think they'd bother.

At least they know how to do battery

• Is today Scarlett reveal day?
  • Guys, this is Sony we’re talking about. We’ll probably find that the PS5 downloads games and saves to a massive SSD, but you have to download the DRM key to that cartridge, you can fit 5 on each one, and they’re £30 a pop.
  • Hmm. This is that same Sony with the game swapping video trolling Xbox?
  • I still want to see the presentation Sony had before MS went first.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is today Scarlett reveal day?

Eh? What makes you think it might be?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I still want to see the presentation Sony had before MS went first.

Here’s the thing - there’s never been anything to that rumour except...rumour. And Microsoft didn’t come out of the blue with their policy - it was stated and publicly defended prior to that years conferences. Defended terribly. It was anti-consumer. It was dumb. If Sony ever did have that policy it’s a good thing they dropped it. We should be glad about that.

Then Sony followed up with a console not burdened by Kinect and eventually with a lot of exclusives.

This is not a Sony = good, Microsoft = bad post, it’s just that Microsoft blew last gen through their own stupidity, until reorganising at the top and getting a clearer direction. MS look really healthy now and this is good. Speculation about Sony throwing them under the bus...what’s the point?
  • Oh yeah, I mean I dont think Sony would have gone as far down the road as MS did. MS really did fuck it up. I still think Sony may have had been looking to implement some of those things though, it was the way things were going, preowned was a real hot topic at the time. I am sure Sony would have recieved pressure from publishers just like I am sure MS did to come up with a solution.

I'm not attached to either company, just felt like Sony probably would have been facing the same direction as MS and likely benefited from MS testing the water. By testing I mean throughing a brick in a paddling pool.

As it stands now I think MS have done a really good job of finding somewhat of a middle ground and I am really keen to see exactly how the next gen pans out.
  • I get that - I think both companies have a really strong in-house lineup. I’ve been worried about Sony’s recent in-house changes but I also trust them when it comes to managing 1st and 2nd parties and supporting with experimental and new ips (which I honestly don’t trust MS with, given they’ve created teams that are seemingly only for single ips - forza, halo, gears etc.).

It seems likely I’ll get both consoles next generation. Glad Sony ditched DRM stuff though, if that was even a consideration. They forced MS into a much more consumer friendly position and I’d argue that stuff like Gamepass today is a reaction to Sony more that a continuation of the Allard and Co philosophy of fuck you, suck dick.
  • Competition is good, innit.
  • Competition is good, innit.

It really, really is.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Is today Scarlett reveal day?

Eh? What makes you think it might be?

They got that
    Big Xbox event in london?

• I gather they've already categorically stated that they won't be showing anything to do with the NextBox, but I dare say there will be game reveals of some sort.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's about time they had one.
  • g.man wrote:
    I gather they've already categorically stated that they won't be showing anything to do with the NextBox, but I dare say there will be game reveals of some sort.

Ah cheers. I didn’t know really much about it other than it was being advertised a lot on my Twitter.
  • Starts at 8pm I believe.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True, I’ll tune in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not expecting Scarlett. Revealing next year’s console immediately before Christmas seems like a bad move.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like there may be some free toot if you watch through Mixer.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not expecting Scarlett. Revealing next year’s console immediately before Christmas seems like a bad move.

Since when has that ever stopped Microsoft.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So much Star Wars.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    About to announce new Rare IP and the stream went down. Whoops.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!