The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • AKAIK we've no confirmation of how many stationflops just yet, I would expect it to be very similar to the Xbox. The GPU power is really not the star of next gen's show anyway, it's the CPU and SSD that are the literal game changers, and I think the setup for those will be very similar for the two consoles. MS going off on the flops right now seems like marketing bluster, maybe trying to force Sony to release more info than they would like to counter this.

The SoC silicon is going to be rather large for the 12tf Xbox, bigger silicon dies are more expensive and fewer in number due to the manufacturing process, fewer dies per wafer and a greater rate of defective chips. This means that it's going to be very expensive, and possibly in short supply unless they are going hell for leather to build up a big pile of them before release. I'm thinking that the big daddy 12 teraflop xbox might either be a prohibitively expensive machine to say 'look at us with the most powah etc' to make the brand look good vs PS, or sold at a loss but then I wonder about availability if demand is high. Maybe they'll be reusing some of the dicky silicon dies to make lower end models, makes sense.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not bothered about losing a minute to load up a game again, so multiple suspends is a meh from me. I'm more bothered about losing a fucking age to updates and patches. Magic that process better please, consoleguys.

Don't you have auto update enabled on xbox? I can't remember having to once wait for an update.
  • Is Star Citizen coming to the next gen consoles?

Maybe but I would doubt it very much.
  • Sony had the cheapest and most powerful console this gen.
    until Xbox x

I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I'm not bothered about losing a minute to load up a game again, so multiple suspends is a meh from me. I'm more bothered about losing a fucking age to updates and patches. Magic that process better please, consoleguys.

Don't you have auto update enabled on xbox? I can't remember having to once wait for an update.

Your not a a married parent I’m going to guess ?
  • Microsoft have their Xbox All Access thing already on the go.

Currently it is £24.99 per month for 24 months.
    That gets you an Xbox One X, Game Pass Ultimate for that period and an upgrade option at 18 months.

I think it is reasonable to say the new console will be £50 per month tops, probably less. Personally I feel that will be pretty attractive. This will be what MS are focussing on as opposed to people going in and dropping £400-£500 in one hit.

They are following the phone business model in other ways, it is logical that they would follow with this as well.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why would you make that assumption? @bob
  • Sony had the cheapest and most powerful console this gen.

At launch yeah. But ms might be confident that enough people were willing to shell out for the one x that they'll pay for power.

Also, pretty sure Sony just saw the price point of the Xbox, people's reaction and then dropped the price. I'm sure each company has several price points based on what they're willing to accept profit wise.

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm not bothered about losing a minute to load up a game again, so multiple suspends is a meh from me. I'm more bothered about losing a fucking age to updates and patches. Magic that process better please, consoleguys.

The truth is that internet speed is one of the biggest bottlenecks with the computing experience right now, so many programs need to call home for updates or other data than even if you have the very best physical hardware you are still going to be waiting for your internet to catch up. There's no magic solution to that other than maybe moving to South Korea..

I think you'll be surprised at just how much difference all the little reductions in load times make though, it will all add up to a more seamless experience, assuming the interface design and coding has been done well.
  • Why would you make that assumption? @bob
    Because as a married parent my gaming time is precious and the fact that i can switch my PS4 on and be straight in to gaming has been one of this generations best features
    I eventually turned the auto-update feature off as it would routinely slow down my internet to the point of Netflix and the like buffering. Pain in the butt to go in and check only to find some random game I haven't played in 6 months is downloading an 11GB patch.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I see Gav's point though, if the game is loading from SSD and takes far less time to load from a standing start than they do now, then the suspend/resume feature becomes far less important.

If you don't have auto update on, and I don't with PS4, it can be a right ball ache. Playing God of War at launch and having to wait for the updates every day after launch was a killer. SSD loading and suspend/resume won't help at all in that situation.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is Star Citizen coming to the next gen consoles?

Its never being finished on PC so doubt it. Absolute broken mess and something I truly hate.
  • I see Gav's point though, if the game is loading from SSD and takes far less time to load from a standing start than they do now, then the suspend/resume feature becomes far less important.

I guess but I can’t see the entire game
    Loading from ssd
  • I'm not bothered about losing a minute to load up a game again, so multiple suspends is a meh from me.

I’m the opposite. I realise I’ve been spoiled by the Vita, the Switch, and most games on the PS4, but I couldn’t live without it now, and having a few games ready to go would be great. I get put off going back to my PS3 or certain games on PS4 (like Assassins Creed Black Flag) precisely because I have to load it up every time. Being able to put a console to sleep for half an hour or so, while you watch a TV show, and being able to instantly pick up where you left off is a massive quality of life improvement.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @DS I thought it was just an ongoing cash cow for the developers. They keep charging the suckers for more content.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I thought it was just an ongoing cash cow for the developers. They keep charging the suckers for more content.

Aye, they had an invite only event for the big cash cows offering them just a chance to potentially own an in game ship which hasnt been coded or released yet for about 10k each.

Its ridiculous and disgusting.
  • Is Star Citizen coming to the next gen consoles?
    Maybe but I would doubt it very much.

It's pioneering most of the tech that will also feature in next gen consoles ie superfast ssd's and multicore cpu loads.
    It makes sense to port eventually but they'll have to reach at least beta status with pc release first?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I thought it was just an ongoing cash cow for the developers. They keep charging the suckers for more content.
    Aye, they had an invite only event for the big cash cows offering them just a chance to potentially own an in game ship which hasnt been coded or released yet for about 10k each. Its ridiculous and disgusting.

If that's true they're desperate for cash. Not a good sign.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Theyve been desperate for a long while. Theres a lot of synopsis videos on Youtube, its been a trainwreck for years.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Why would you make that assumption? @bob
    Because as a married parent my gaming time is precious and the fact that i can switch my PS4 on and be straight in to gaming has been one of this generations best features

Oh, you were responding to gav, not me.
  • Yeah sorry if that wasn’t clear
  • Theyve been desperate for a long while. Theres a lot of synopsis videos on Youtube, its been a trainwreck for years.

Ouch. Well at least DF seems to be somewhat hopeful.
  • On the Left:

The Xbox Series X - A 12TF console releasing in 2020.

On the Right:

1,276.5 Gamecubes duct taped together which offered a theoretical peak performance of 11.99TF.

ERj5teDUYAM1mz1?format=jpg&name=large

Incredible. Amazing.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Look at the size of that thing.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Nintendo’s prototype for switch 2 is a quarter of that many gamecubes taped together.
  • Spare Teraflops for a relaunch of kinect!
  • Is that gamecube thing the wii u prototype? When's that due out anyway?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wait a minute. That's not duct tape.
  • It has been announced that Cyberpunk on Xbox One will receive a free upgrade for Series X when the game launches on that platform later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!