The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Re: updates

I purposefully said "consoleguys" because both have been trumpeting about suspend/resume stuff, so it wasn't directed solely at MS' blurb from today. Having experienced updates to GT Sport recently, and knowing how the PS4 now has this "copying" step to *prevent data corruption* meaning its copying the whole fucking 100gb game, I'd really like shit like that to stop. Regardless of my fat pipe getting the patch down in a minute or two, the copying process took over an hour. Fuck that.

I've got auto-update on the Xbox just fine. So what I'm saying is magic ur patches gooder. Make them smaller, apply them better. No fucking clue how but I guess if we're still allowed to speculate about QOL stuff then why not.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It has been announced that Cyberpunk on Xbox One will receive a free upgrade for Series X when the game launches on that platform later.
    https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1231961469669068800?s=19

CDPR confirming Bone purchasers of Cyberpunk will get the Series X upgrade when available.

• Yeah but I didnt read that so it's your fault really.
    ;)

Edit: I see why I missed it, I was eye rolling heavily over shit "Xbox no games" jokes.
  • Re: updates I purposefully said "consoleguys" because both have been trumpeting about suspend/resume stuff, so it wasn't directed solely at MS' blurb from today. Having experienced updates to GT Sport recently, and knowing how the PS4 now has this "copying" step to *prevent data corruption* meaning its copying the whole fucking 100gb game, I'd really like shit like that to stop. Regardless of my fat pipe getting the patch down in a minute or two, the copying process took over an hour. Fuck that. I've got auto-update on the Xbox just fine. So what I'm saying is magic ur patches gooder. Make them smaller, apply them better. No fucking clue how but I guess if we're still allowed to speculate about QOL stuff then why not.

It's not actually the patches and fixes that are the issue, it's the new content i.e. season pass/paid DLC/new modes/etc fucking bullshit that fucks you over. The games have to have all this extra stuff installed even if you haven't bought it or don't intend to, IIRC Doom 2016 was particularly fucking atrocious for this, with the new stuff being MP content that most people aren't using.

So it's part business model part just plain bad user experience design. Also marketing, I think the Big New Update thing is a way for them to keep their game in the news and remind people to play and buy digi-tat too.
  • Tempy wrote:
    On the Left: The Xbox Series X - A 12TF console releasing in 2020. On the Right: 1,276.5 Gamecubes duct taped together which offered a theoretical peak performance of 11.99TF. ERj5teDUYAM1mz1?format=jpg&name=large Incredible. Amazing.

Never underestimate the usefulness of duct tape/

BTW did they ever sell that many gamecubes?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • And is it enough to play Chrystal Chronicles?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    On the Left: The Xbox Series X - A 12TF console releasing in 2020. On the Right: 1,276.5 Gamecubes duct taped together which offered a theoretical peak performance of 11.99TF. ERj5teDUYAM1mz1?format=jpg&name=large Incredible. Amazing.
    Never underestimate the usefulness of duct tape/ BTW did they ever sell that many gamecubes?

I'm pretty certain that sold that many, lets ask Reg how many he bought
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • In this new era of streaming, I can see a world where you stream your new game until all the updates, installs and patches are done and then you switch over to local storage and carry on playing seamlessly. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I'd be perfectly happy with that solution.
  • What sort of game install sizes are being suggested so far? Last I heard current gen halo infinite was a couple hundred gig. I've been out of the loop since doom was around 70.

Imagine the horror of little big planet patches at 50gb each
  • The new Modern Warfare was something like 170 gig. The whole lot took me ten hours to install. If they don't find a fix for that, next gen is fucked already. No wonder physical media is doomed...
  • Having an ‘always on’ console that downloads updates and DLC while on standby has been a brilliant invention.
  • The new Modern Warfare was something like 170 gig. The whole lot took me ten hours to install. If they don't find a fix for that, next gen is fucked already. No wonder physical media is doomed...

I'm not sure downloading 170 gig would be much faster on most peoples internet.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I suppose if you are getting it delivered by Yodel it might be comparable.
  • poprock wrote:
    Having an ‘always on’ console that downloads updates and DLC while on standby has been a brilliant invention.

WiiConnect24 was a great invention

Oof.

I have a 100GB monthly limit.
    Spoiler:
  • I'd look at your average AAA game being that size next gen as a rule.
  • It has to be. Wasn’t the CoD size effectively to account for top end PCs which is what the series x is aping?
  • It's interesting to see how Sony and MS seemingly go about BC/FC into their respective platforms. It appears MS has fully embraced a software (emulation?) DirectX implemented solution while Sony seems to be opting for a hw based solution?

Could explain the projected difference in TF output of the new consoles (emulation overhead?). Could also indicate MS wants to jump into AR/VR in the console space. Or perhaps it just means ms are still butthurt about how things went last gen with PS4 being initially more powerful than xbone at launch. Who knows?

The price of these shiny new toys? Certain to be £/€ 500 or more.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-power-play-analysis

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-playstation-5-xbox-series-x-spec-leak-analysed

So much leakage but where's the plumber?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Tempy wrote:

Now that's just stupid. No way you could stick GCs together like that. Have they removed the handle from each one!

Now, a 360 is a much better base for this sort of stuff. Can easily stack them. Inserting discs might be tricky though.

:-)
  • Na, arrange them in an X shape.

RRoD would be your next issue though.
  • Talk of the install and download size in here -

One thing I wasn't aware about is the difference in blu ray drives in the consoles, the original Xbox One has a 50GB limit for the discs, this means that for games that are supposed to be compatible between all the Xboxes there will likely be massive download sizes to get the extra necessary data. Pretty unfortunate.
  • Something PS5 related coming i. Next 24hrs according to Sony germany tweet
    PSN - minkymu
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s about time.
    Get schwifty.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That it still has less terratits than the Bone X?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I want to know what the PS5 means for Dreams. Can't work out if it's a perfect time to release something like that on PS4 or a weird missed opportunity to attract potential buyers to the next box.
  • Dreams needs players, so PS4 now is the only option.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They're doing it because they know reactions to Xbox are now de rigeuer and they'll get traction from it.

That being said, an IGN podcast I listen to suggested MS knew this was coming and wanted to fire out a blog post before hand rather than reveal at E3.

I don't give a fuck about tinfoil hat stuff unless it's what's happening to Metroid Prime but we shall see.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Maybe they will match the 12 flobadobs like they did with the 8GB of RAM on the PS4.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Something PS5 related coming i. Next 24hrs according to Sony germany tweet

But could more likely just be the pre PS+ games announce.. according to Techradar.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have a weird suspicion that we will have a flip flop next year - MS leading hardware but PS leading in games available.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!