The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • digi wrote:
    19 times faster ssd sounds like hokum.

Na that is possible, though the best case scenario.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=40281.jpg

crystaldiskmark-seagate-2tb-sshd.jpg

(Top is a nice NVME SSD, bottom is a 7200RPM 'hybrid' HDD apparently. Grabbed images from a rough search but those numbers are indicative of theoretical performance. Real world effect is usually diminished due to RAM/CPU bottlenecks)

The effect on loading times will vary greatly depending on the game, but in many cases will be night and day. I'm impressed that they are going for an SSD as a game drive, as that will surely mean limited storage space, like not much more than what you get with the current gen within the same price bracket. But I wonder if they will implement some kind of tiered storage thing, so frequently used data would be shuffled to the SSD from a larger HDD. Might make a lot of sense to get the best of both worlds, speed and capacity, and would be a background process keeping it dead simple for the user.
  • monkey wrote:
    “The key question,” Cerny says, “is whether the console adds another layer to the sorts of experiences you already have access to, or if it allows for fundamental changes in what a game can be.” The answer, in this case, is the latter.
    Uh huh.

Can a game be a ham sandwich please Sony.
  • digi wrote:
    19 times faster ssd sounds like hokum.

Na that is possible, though the best case scenario.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=40281.jpg

crystaldiskmark-seagate-2tb-sshd.jpg

(Top is a nice NVME SSD, bottom is a 7200RPM 'hybrid' HDD apparently. Grabbed images from a rough search but those numbers are indicative of theoretical performance. Real world effect is usually diminished due to RAM/CPU bottlenecks)

The effect on loading times will vary greatly depending on the game, but in many cases will be night and day. I'm impressed that they are going for an SSD as a game drive, as that will surely mean limited storage space, like not much more than the current gen for the price bracket. But I wonder if they will implement some kind of tiered storage thing, so frequently used data would be shuffled to the SSD from a larger HDD. Might make a lot of sense to get the best of both worlds, speed and capacity, and would be a background process keeping it dead simple for the user.

I weren't saying I don't believe it, just it seems stupidly more!
    They were saying spiderman went from a 15 second start up on ps4 to 0.8 seconds on next gen Sony.
    That's a massive leap and would make bloodbourne so much better too. :)

There was also a few comments I read in reply to it on reset era saying that they meant sshd rather than ssd.
    Im not entirely sure what the differences is but would like to know.
    And is this better/worse?
    So I'm probably gonna be spending a lot of today reading up on this stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    “The key question,” Cerny says, “is whether the console adds another layer to the sorts of experiences you already have access to, or if it allows for fundamental changes in what a game can be.” The answer, in this case, is the latter.
    Uh huh.

Can a game be a ham sandwich please Sony.

Depends on the bread.
    Is it exclusive to Warburtons or hovis?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Aw, my Birthday. You may as well all chip in and buy me one for it. You guys x
  • What the fuck is holistic bread?
  • The raytracing capability thing is marketing guff mainly, just too soon for it to be a viable technique for low-mid hardware. If we do see games using it then the performance will be shite, back to -30FPSland, fuck that. That or the implementation will be so shit that it won't really be noticeable, or will be very rough with artifacts.
  • Nextbone better have more holistics than PS5.
  • How many clouds does it have Sony? It’s all about clouds now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Nextbone better have more holistics than PS5.

I heard PS5 only has halflistics.
  • monkey wrote:
    How many clouds does it have Sony? It’s all about clouds now.

There crackingdown on this stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    What the fuck is holistic bread?

Fixed that sorry.
    Xx
  • Is a poultice holistic bread?  This may be the key to unlocking the secrets of the next gen.
  • He meant holy bread. Like, sanctified dough products.
  • Hot cross buns>Easter eggs
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Holey bread:

289417_1485729710_0.jpg
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Holey bread:

289417_1485729710_0.jpg

They look soooo good
  • digi wrote:
    There was also a few comments I read in reply to it on reset era saying that they meant sshd rather than ssd. Im not entirely sure what the differences is but would like to know. And is this better/worse? So I'm probably gonna be spending a lot of today reading up on this stuff.

Read up on on HDDs, SSDs, caching (how SSHDs and Optane work), and tiered storage.

This is a good explanation -

I would think that tiered storage would be the optimal way to handle it on a next gen console. AMD have already got a deal for their software solution called StoreMi for the 2000 gen Ryzen CPUs, it's licenced tech so I can see them working with the console makers to get a custom implementation. In a more limited OS within a console I can see it working even better than on Windows 10 too, and without the odd issues you can run into if Sony can optimise the background processing necessary.
  • 60 posts since the start of my nap.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You snooze you lose.
  • No holistic bread for you, Moot.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    60 posts since the start of my nap.

bet u were napping in 30fps ya scrub lolol
  • digi wrote:
    There was also a few comments I read in reply to it on reset era saying that they meant sshd rather than ssd. Im not entirely sure what the differences is but would like to know. And is this better/worse? So I'm probably gonna be spending a lot of today reading up on this stuff.

Read up on on HDDs, SSDs, caching (how SSHDs and Optane work), and tiered storage.

This is a good explanation -

I would think that tiered storage would be the optimal way to handle it on a next gen console. AMD have already got a deal for their software solution called StoreMi for the 2000 gen Ryzen CPUs, it's licenced tech so I can see them working with the console makers to get a custom implementation. In a more limited OS within a console I can see it working even better than on Windows 10 too, and without the odd issues you can run into if Sony can optimise the background processing necessary.

Thanks for that, appreciated pal and will start watching asap.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm going to buy the next Xbox console despite having zero interest in Microsoft's catalogue of IP and then I'm going to buy Halo and Forza when they come out despite not really wanting them and then I'm going to complain, vociferously and endlessly, that they're shit and my entire family thinks they are shit and then, when you are sick and tired of my incessant negativity about your favourite shiny box, then and only then will my revenge will be complete, you multipack box of fucks.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Gamepass is good though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    How can Gamepass be good when Xbox has NO GAMES???
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm going to buy the next Xbox console despite having zero interest in Microsoft's catalogue of IP and then I'm going to buy Halo and Forza when they come out despite not really wanting them and then I'm going to complain, vociferously and endlessly, that they're shit and my entire family thinks they are shit and then, when you are sick and tired of my incessant negativity about your favourite shiny box, then and only then will my revenge will be complete, you multipack box of fucks.

Now that’s the proper spirit of a next gen thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!