The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Oh I should point out that the way StoreMi (tiered storage) works is that it moves the most used data onto the fastest drive in a setup, so if you play a game all the time that should stay on the SSD and therefore continue to load very fast. Games that you play less often might get moved back to the slower storage, meaning that when you go to play them for the first time in a while they will load slowly at first, as the data is coming from the HDD, then as you keep playing it will gradually get faster.

This is all theoretical with regards to the PS5 though, I don't think it's known what kind of setup they will be going with. They could go for just a single large SSD, but I would think the cost/capacity would be prohibitive.
  • Staring Broken Adrian
    The BADGER Crew
    Reg “Nintyendo” McFly
    The G.Man
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just thought of another exciting next-gen bonus to look forward to: absent badgers finding their way home.
  • poprock wrote:
    Hot. Cross. Buns.

I had one of these recently and it had cinnamon in it. Did they always have cinnamon? Anyway, rank.
  • Despite Sony probably having the best tech, the better exclusives, the better long term plan, the more inventive games and overall better product , I will still be more likely to buy the xbox two.

Why?

Because I'm an xbox fan boy. Gotta have my M$ console. Sure, I'll probably have an affair with switch 2. But I know that despite all sense, it's an xbox that will grab my lusty gaze when I think about which console I waste money on. Such is life
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d disagree with most of your points against Microsoft, TBH.

Better tech - we will see what’s what when this is all released, but Microsoft’s goal is to have the more powerful console next gen.

Long term plans - it’s Microsoft transitioning to services and streaming which looks likely to be the future.

Games - I still prefer the Xbox library to Sony’s, but obviously this is very much personal preference.

YMMV, of course. Opinions and arseholes and that.
  • All our wages are going to be planed to dust one subscription at a time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d disagree with most of your points against Microsoft, TBH. Better tech - we will see what’s what when this is all released, but Microsoft’s goal is to have the more powerful console next gen. Long term plans - it’s Microsoft transitioning to services and streaming which looks likely to be the future. Games - I still prefer the Xbox library to Sony’s, but obviously this is very much personal preference. YMMV, of course. Opinions and arseholes and that.

I think maybe I didn't get my point across. I'm a genuine Microsoft fan boy. I cant really tell you why, but I've nearly always been happy with their stuff. I had 2 windows phones and really liked them. I had a Surface Pro 4 and now a Surface Go and I loved both. I have had an xbox, a 360, a 360 slim and now an s bone under the telly. 

The point I was making (badly it would seem) I think applies to a quite a few people when they go to buy a console - you buy into the brand. Maybe not completely like a true fan boy and I'm not saying it covers a shitty product but as long as xbox is a solid brand, it will probably be my go to brand. The stuff about Sony having the best isn't based on truth (although I think they did better with home-grown software this gen) just an example that for me, xbox wont have to be the best. It just has to be good (and obviously do what I want)

I think since xbox arrived, all three of the main consoles each gen have been decent enough that each was a viable machine, even if there can only be one winner. Xbox, 360 and bone have all bone pretty good (arguable that 360 was the tip top of its gen) but Ps2, Ps3 and Ps4 have also been fantastic. Even from Nintendo - Gamecube wasn't a big seller but had a huge range of hits, wii was a seller and while not my fav console who can argue with a system with 2 mario galaxy games as well as bringing motion control to the masses. Wii U was another sales flop but I had one and cant say it didn't entertain and finally switch is my personal fav console of the gen. 

So really, as long as each console sells well enough and has a clutch of top titles (exclusive or otherwise) than it really doesn't matter who has the best whatsit this gen. Its all good.

And my point was that even if M$ is last of the three, once it has a good library I'm probably going to have another xbox under the telly.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sony will have Dreams, and therefore wins for me. Gutted I can't be playing it right now though.
  • PS5 being back compat is appealing as I still dont have a PS4.
    It would be easier to justify launch price if it means I end up skipping the PS4 entirely but still play the exclusives I want to play.
  • I find backwards compatibility really unappealing. Like buying a new coat and putting old receipts in it.
  • On the issue of Backwards Compatibility and online purchases, I will say that logging into my xbone and seeing quite a few of my old 360 purchases show up was really nice. Granted I may not play them so much and the 2 I really wanted (Arkham Asylum and City) weren't there because of the remasters but still, its a nice bone to throw a loyal customer. Nintendo and Sony should definitely do this going forward if they aren't already.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A massive shit on all the next gen and its associated marketing guff.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm going to buy the next Xbox console despite having zero interest in Microsoft's catalogue of IP and then I'm going to buy Halo and Forza when they come out despite not really wanting them and then I'm going to complain, vociferously and endlessly, that they're shit and my entire family thinks they are shit and then, when you are sick and tired of my incessant negativity about your favourite shiny box, then and only then will my revenge will be complete, you multipack box of fucks.

How many will be special editions?
  • Are these not just rumoured tech specs at this stage then? Is this a legit Sony spec confirmation for the PS5?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As far as backwards compatibility is concerned I really don't care all that much. I suppose in the first year of the console it might be useful while games are thin on the ground.

It's a nice thing to have and I can see why people want it, but I don't think I've played a single 360 game on the Xbox one.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Are these not just rumoured tech specs at this stage then? Is this a legit Sony spec confirmation for the PS5?
    Today's announcement covers off a number of crucial hardware details: we're getting Zen 2 on a 7nm process, custom Navi graphics, state of the art SSD storage and back-compat support - so what don't we know? Pointedly, Sony has steered well clear of offering any details of note in terms of CPU and GPU compute power, and the firm has not announced how much memory the next-gen PlayStation will ship with. Some might say that these kind of details aren't required for the story Wired delivered today and it's still early enough in the game that this kind of information would be of huge strategic value to the competition.
  • My hope is that eventually we dont think about BC at all, it just works if you try it.

I quick look through my games list on bone and I've played over 20 360 games on it I reckon.

Some highlights that I dont think have bone versions...
    The Rare Replay stuff (Banjo etc), Mass Effect Trilogy, Streets of Rage Collection, Vanquish, Jet Set Radio, Catlevania SotN, Monster World Collection.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Are these not just rumoured tech specs at this stage then? Is this a legit Sony spec confirmation for the PS5?

It’s all from an interview with Mark Cerny.
  • Cerny appears to be nailing it on ps5 the first console
    Manufacturer to dominate for five generations in a row
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • If MS even bother with another console I'll eat my hat. They have, what, four exclusive titles spanning five years?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Which is why MS got their cheque book out.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Which isn’t really enough is it?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Seems to be, it's not like they're struggling.
  • They bought some good b team studios.
  • Depends what the goal is really.
    I dont think MS are looking for a straight up, box vs box console war like we are used to.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Safe bet they will show and tell come E3.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Cerny appears to be nailing it on ps5 the first console
    Manufacturer to dominate for five generations in a row

Nintendo says Hi.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh god it really is starting again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!