52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
‹ Previous12345
  • The EAGERLY AWAITED 2019 ITERATION OF THE 52 GAMES A YEAR CHALLENGE!!

id3WL7.jpg

Here it is, the thread for badgers that fancy trying to play 52 games in a year to whatever they decide is some form of completion. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - either claim a post and update on your progress or keep posting your completions and then do a final count post at the end of the year! Just please don't fill it with pointless conversation as the posts will be quite big. Even if you're not gonna make it to 52 it's a good way to record all your completions/failures/hates.

Gonna post a similar thread for Movie lists too in the other section so I can keep a record of movies watched!

GFePPE.jpg

How do I take part?

Claim a post! Write down the game and your thoughts about each one in this format for your post:

1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
    # INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

How do I know when I've completed a game?

Up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it no ending or a multiplayer game. Replays count as long as all the games are completed in 2019.

Do I have to record time?

No. But you can if you like!! If so you could potentially see how long you’ve spent on games this year and then wonder how you got away with it!

Do I have to review or comment on the games I complete?

No but it'd be nice to give a few words or maybe a quick score. Full blown reviews or mini-reviews aren't necessary and will just make it an incredibly big post,though they will be anyway.

Do episodic games count as a single game or X amount of games?

That's up to you. It's alright to count something like Life is Strange as one or five games. Your choice.

Can I finish a game I started in 1992 and count that?

Yes.

What should I do once I've completed the challenge?

Shoot me a PM! If it takes off and people keep me updated I'm more than happy to FINALLY sort out a prize system?

Is there a deadline?

End of the current year!!!!

People who have completed the challenge will be posted here, please send me a PM once you’re done or if I’ve missed you as it’s hard reading through them all as they end up being recorded everywhere!!

TqUcZM.jpg

Winners and in what year:

Muzzy in 18-52!!
    Wario in 18-52!!
    Moot in 18——72!!!!!!

Others results in past Years:
    Verecocha: 17-38, 18-22 (Pathetic)
    Hylian Elf: 17-25, 18-13
    Muzzy: 17-59, 18-52
    Webbins: 17-27, 18-41
    Andy: 18-12
    Monkey: 18-7
    Wario: 18-52
    Moot: 18-72!!!
    JonB: 18-30
    Nina: 18-13

GOOD LUCK!! After the last couple of years I’m gonna need it BUT I’M DETERMINED!!
  • 1: Spider-Man PS4 - 9/10
    Absolutely loved this but was happy to see it end. The main story was the perfect length but all the other elements such as the collectibles and challenges just became too much. At the beginning I was sure I was gonna 100% this but I found the last couple of hours I just focused on the campaign as I knew my time with it was coming to an end. Stunning to look at, so much fun to play, though the combat towards the end becomes a little tiresome, and you genuinely feel like the friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man. Awesome game.

2: Onimusha Warlords Xbox One - 8/10
    Awesome game, so simple and linear but just good early naughties fun! Simple story with some hilarious characters! Was aces going back in time to enjoy a game I first went through 18 years ago. Really enjoyed that.

3: Resi 6 Xbox One - 5/10
    Finally finished this. Have tried so many times and just fallen away. God awful. Gets a 5 merely because it’s Resi. Unlocked the ADA campaign, tried that and literally could not put any more time in. Cannot wait for Resi 2 to erase this.

4: Red Dead Redemption 2 Xbox One - 9/10
    There is little I can say about this, too raw at the moment. Me and the wife absolutely loved this and how we actually loved and hated some characters and we both found it hard to finish knowing what was coming. Was absolutely in love with this game, the only thing stopping it being a clear 10 is the ending. After spending so much time with Arthur though I knew what was going to happen I felt I needed more from then in his ending. Aside from that, almost perfect.

5: Resi 2 Remake Leon Xbox One - 10/10
    The stuff dreams are made of. Absolutely everything I’ve always wanted in the remake of one of my greatest of all times. Absolutely perfect. Will just play over and over again. Stunning to look at, dripping with atmosphere, Dolby Atmos sound design is amazing, movement, aiming etc just to die for. In terms of Resi its absolute nirvana.

6: Resi 2 Remake Claire Xbox One - 10/10
    Same as above, but loved the switch and how it actually makes you play a little different with Claire being so soft and minus a shotty. Some great different weapons and characters chucked in. Just wanna go again. Straight on to the B scenarios.

7: Resi 2 Remake Leon - Scenario B Xbox One - 10/10
    Definitely counts for me, another 5 hours, actually much harder that Scenario A, ammo is scarcer, enemies more frequent, and more dangerous in their types, and the Tyrant goes through Walls...THROUGH FUCKING WALLS. Absolutely shat myself. This game is fucking awesome.

8: Resident Evil 3 Vita - 7/10
    A decent game, certainly not one of the better Resi’s. Feels very rushed and lacking the charm of the others. Though I do like the multiple options and how they actually affect the story or position you find yourself in. Good little romp on the plane though.

9: Metal Gear Solid 2 Vita - 7/10
    Actually became a chore to play this to the end. The least enjoyable MGS for me. Kojima at his worst and such irritating sections I gave up reloading the save to go for the perfect scores and just hit continue. Still a good game but nowhere near great.
  • In.

7 is a bad haul but I didn’t play any games at all for about half of last year. Probably aiming for about 30 this time around. One every couple of weeks plus a few shorter ones is realistic.

1. Mario + Rabbids
    Spoiler:
    2. Mario Odyssey
    Spoiler:
    3. Celeste (Switch)
    Spoiler:
    4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
    Spoiler:
  • Completed:

1. Super Mario Odyssey [9]
    28 Dec-1 Jan
    Played to the credits, and got over 200 moons on the way.

This is pretty special. Love the open levels and the cap mechanic, and there are loads of clever ideas to put it to good use. Some of the creatures you can capture are wonderfully inventive.

It does often jump from one thing to the next too quickly, before making enough of them, but that's less of an issue once things get a bit more challenging. The low point of the game (other than those awful rabbit characters) is New Donk City about halfway in, but every stage after that is excellent. And now I've reached the end there's an absolute ton more stuff to get through. It's hard to know where to start, but I hope to come back to it and do more.

I still struggle with the controls and camera a bit in the trickier platform sections, but it does get slightly easier with practice. Mostly forgivable as well in a game that's trying so many different things and has so much content. Best Mario since 64.

2. Into the Breach [8]
    3-6 Jan
    Played 7 games in total (on Normal) and emerged victorious twice.

I always like a good turn-based strategy, so this was always likely to suit me and I immediately got drawn into it. I really like the way it reduces everything down to concentrated bite-sized chunks, and that it mostly ditches any kind of percentage based play for clear rules and outcomes. 

However, the downside of the small scale is a lack of variety, despite the different squads you can choose to control. I've had good value already, but I don't feel it has the replayability factor of the best in the genre, like Invisible Inc.

3. Mega Man 11 [7]
    8-13 Jan
    Completed on Normal difficulty. Same old Mega Man really, but with plenty more polish. Visually it's lovely, especially some of the bigger characters (special mention to inflatable frog mini-boss). Gameplay wise there's some tight level design that's mostly testing without being too vicious.

But there are leftovers of old design sensibilities and a generally odd approach to difficulty that don't quite work. It seems outdated now to make pits and especially spikes instant death hazards when everything else isn't. It makes certain screens difficult to pass at all while the rest are only likely to cause moderate damage if you mess things up. On the other hand you end up carrying a whole range of cheap useable items and equippable parts that can make many challenges insignificant. The big temptation is not to just stockpile a load of energy tanks for a boss encounter and then mindlessly blast through it, especially when a Game Over means repeating the whole stage again.

The best moments, as ever with MM, are when you do things properly, especially making the breakthrough against the first boss and then working out the weaknesses of the others using the new weapons you get from each victory. In fact, one of the highlights in the end was probably the boss rush, which I made myself do in one life without items.

Not sure I'm bothered about the extra challenges or difficulty levels now, but I've had a decent enough time with it.

4. Vane [4]
    15 Jan
    Stylish indie adventure that looks nice and has an interesting scenery morphing mechanic. But it's full of technical issues and feels like most of the content had to be stripped out to make it work at all.

5. Pikuniku [7]
    22-23 Jan
    Charming, funny, surprising indie game. The simple physics and character movement make some basic platforming puzzles more interesting, although never really challenging, and there's a good quantity of brief side distractions to discover if you explore the small game world. In the end, I was disappointed that some of the themes and ideas weren't developed enough, but by that point I'd had a few good hours of fun.

6. Wargroove [7]
    01-08 Feb
    I haven't actually finished the campaign yet, because I got bored of it. I've got quite far into it though, and did arcade mode with one character, so that counts.

In the end I'm not quite as into this as I'd hoped to be. The balance is still just right as in Advance Wars, but a lot of the battles drag on too long. I'm used to turn-based strategy games that pack just as much into smaller spaces and time frames now, and it can get tiresome shuffling units about rather than just getting on with it. It may be that I need to learn some better strategies, but it's hard not to get bogged down sometimes.

I have played it a lot over the last week though, so it's not like I didn't enjoy it. It can still be great when the missions are a bit smaller. Puzzle mode is also a good change of pace (still want to finish that).

But whether Advance Wars is just outdated now, or whether they didn't quite do it justice with the level design, it's not as quite as much fun to play as various other alternatives.

Ongoing:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    11 Jan-

Waiting list:

---

Wish list:

Monster Boy
    Bayonetta 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wooooo

2019 then...

Games:

1 - Kami 2
    2 - Steamworld Dig 2
    3 -

Coming soon: Stuff from the Fiscal Prudence thread (here), DQXI, FC5, Sundered, Minit, Mosaic Maze, Light Fall, Induction, Four Sided Fantasy, Tetrobot, DLC Quest, Gorogoa, Shuggy, Sokobond, Old Man's Journey, Jazzpunk, Hellblade, Ashen, Below, Gunpoint, The Shivah, Rive, Quantum Break, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, Spiderman, Hitman, AC Origins, Dying Light, FFXV, Diablo III, The Surge, Rayman Legends, COD IW, Nier, Nier Automata, A Way Out, Little Nightmares, Rime, DkS 3 DLC, GoW4, Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Resi 4, Pandora's Tower, Downwell, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, Day of the Tentacle Remastered,Trine 1-3, Catherine, Rogue Legacy, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, Sleeping Dogs, Binding of Isaac, Gravity Rush, Stealth Inc 2, Transistor, Broforce, Magicka 1&2, Kentucky Route Zero, 1001 Spikes, Remember Me, Catherine, MGS V/GZ, Danganronpa, DmC, Dust, From Dust, Gears of War (1-4), God of War, Hitman (early ones), Splinter Cell, I Am Alive, Outlast,  SotC HD, Styx, Thief, The Crew, Ys, Yakuza, XCOM, Suikoden, TWD (s2), The Evil Within, The Banner Saga, Sniper Elite, Richard & Alice, Hydrophobia, Gunpoint, Else Heart.Break(), Door Kickers, Malicious, Castevania: Lord of Shadows, No Time to Explain, Apotheon, Capsized

Books:

1 - What I Talk About When I'm Running
    2 - Runaway
    3 -

Movies / series:

1 - Luther (s3)
    2 - Luther (s4)
    3 - Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri
    4 - Catastrophe (S4)
    5 - The Big Lebowski
    6 - Arrival
    7 -

My 2017 link: here (59 completed, [394], average [6.68]; 25 books; 33 shows/movies)
    My 2018 link: here (52 completed, [342], average [6.58]; 18 books; 26 shows/movies)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hi. Can I count boardgames?
    Hairlo?
  • Completed:
    Florence ****
    07/01
    Short but very engaging mobile game that does some really novel things with the mobile platform to tell it's story.

My Brother Ate My Pudding
    08/01
    Short, dumb, fun mobile puzzle game.

Pokémon Let's Go Eevee *****
    24/01
    Its Pokémon.

Gunman Clive
    28/01
    Fairly enjoyable platformer with some interesting ideas that doesn't out stay it's welcome or become too frustrating.

Ongoing:
    Mario Rabbids
    Yakuza 0
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    A firm no.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Frosty can do what he likes.
    Hairlo?
  • Can they be proper games this year?

*runs*
    Let's go exploring....
  • In!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • Up and running with Mario Odyssey and Into the Breach.
  • I'll probably manage 4 this year.
    Let's go exploring....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I may struggle this year, given I'm staring down the barrel of DQXI, FC5, Spiderman, AC Origins, Into the Breach & Slay the Spire amongst others, each of which will take me like a month.

But we'll see.  I'm sure I can find some fluff to fill the gaps with after all ;p

Anyway, my post above is now up and running, albeit sparsely populated...
  • I'll list the stuff I finish, doubt I'll hit 52 as the Vita well has run dry (even for someone who's happy to lick a muddy puddle), there's nothing left on 3DS I want to play and I've worked through most of my GBA shoebox. Chances are I'll still hit 40ish playing indie games at home though, we'll see.
    You have minecraft?
  • I want to get rid of my pile of shame and play / replay / properly finish a few major omissions from the past. I’ve recently set up my old PS2 as there’s a few I never got round to properly. R-Type Final, Viewtiful Joe, Batman - Vengeance and Outrun 2006. These have been hanging around for ten years or more. I got about halfway through Outrun on the PSP before getting distracted or something.

A couple of PS3 ones, quite a few on the 3DS, hundreds on the PC but I’ve whittled that down to about 10-15 essentials. Then the more interesting ones from the past couple of years that I’ve missed out on due to restricted play time and motivation. 5 or 6 I still want to get through from the SNES classic. Then any new releases that catch my eye. So that’s at least 30 there without much outlay.
  • JonB wrote:
    Wish list:Bayonetta 2

You wanna borrow it? I’m halfway through at the mo and can send to you when I’m done? Cos I’m prob gonna do hard run on 1 before returning to 2.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    R-Type Final, Viewtiful Joe

You're gonna have a fun year, those two are cracking
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • In, obv, but hey Cocha I did 14 last year not 13!
  • Good luck finishing Viewtiful Joe. That was a pad-hurler for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I only played it on GC, think it might be easier with that pad, though I didn't finish it either
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    R-Type Final, Viewtiful Joe

You're gonna have a fun year, those two are cracking
    WorKid wrote:
    Good luck finishing Viewtiful Joe. That was a pad-hurler for me.
    Yeah those two especially have been put off for a reason. I’ve got a gaming skill ceiling, it’s not high, and when I reach it, that’s it. Still going to count them though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's to a completion that you're comfortable with. I'm gonna be playing a lot of 16Bit and lower era game this year, and I reckon many of them will push me close but hell I'll count if I reach my finish even if it's not the games ending
  • Viewtiful Joe is one of my most wanted for a remake/remaster. Felt almost perfect to me except for annoying stupid boss gauntlet level.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My other forum has a like option, I don't want it here but I keep reaching for it
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wish list:Bayonetta 2
    You wanna borrow it? I’m halfway through at the mo and can send to you when I’m done? Cos I’m prob gonna do hard run on 1 before returning to 2.
    That would be nice. Thanks. I'm going to start Zelda next though, so no rush.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Viewtiful Joe is one of my most wanted for a remake/remaster. Felt almost perfect to me except for annoying stupid boss gauntlet level.
    That's where I gave up.
  • Yeah boss rush is poor design and can see people give up at that point. You missed the amazing final level though. Lots of Star Wars.
  • I probably gave it a good go actually, but just couldn't do it. I'm not sure the game ever really clicked with me anyway.
  • Hopefully this is a page turn so I can do my list here for ease...
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!