Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Karma itt
  • And now there’s Cunt itt
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've run out of space to add any more games to either of my megaposts on page 3.  Looks like I'll need three placeholders next year.
  • 78. Biolab Wars - Switch

Another heavy-breathing phonecall to the 8-bit era, and this time thighs are being rubbed at Cobra and it's ilk.  Believe it or not this one is pretty good, with the only complaints worth levelling at a game that launched for £1.57 (act fast for a 10% discount this week) being 'it's a bit of a doddle' and 'there's no two player mode'.  You'll know at a glance whether this would appeal to you, and if you're fine with fixed horizontal shot running & gunning in the Let's Attack Aggressively mould I don't see how this could disappoint.  Seven levels, eight bosses and some very amusing 1-UP placements.  A Mean Machines 83%, praised for its gameplay throughout the review, marked down on lastability.

• 37. Ori and the Blind Forest [9]
    16-23 Nov

This is up there with the best modern Metroidvania games. A lot of it is tried and tested stuff (although the 'bash' power is a bit of a game changer), but it's delivered with such polish and imagination it doesn't matter. Level design is where it really shines and it's consistently top class. The way layouts loop around, or the way new powers are introduced, tested, refined and combined over the course of hours is very impressive, and it always feels worth recovering old ground once you've made significant advances. What it really nails that every Metroidvania should aim for is getting more enjoyable with every major new power that unlocks. The make your own checkpoint system is also smart, if a little generous by the end of the game. And it all looks great too. Criticisms are minor - slightly misjudged chase sequences, oversensitive control and some visual detail getting in the way of clarity. It's not quite the precision platformer it wants to be, but I never struggled too much. A 9 but only just, let's say.

38. Lost Ember [5]
    20-21 Nov

I almost really liked this. It's let down by a very creaky engine and a lack of focus. It actually ends up being quite Journey-like. You play as a wolf but can also possess any other animals you come across to traverse different terrain. There aren't any puzzles or combat or anything like that, just keep going, explore, enjoy the landscapes and the sensation of flying/running/swimming that controlling each beast provides. There are some good views and some stand out sequences, plus it uses the set up to deliver an interesting story about the end of a human civilisation, viewed through the eyes of the natural world that outlasts it. But it overuses a handful of animal types, especially in the first half, and often doesn't give you enough to do with them. Most of all, the performance is poor and the way your creatures move and struggle to interact convincingly with the world makes it feel dated. There are invisible walls, camera glitches and loading pauses that detract from an experience that should be about visual splendour and smooth flow. Over the course of the game you cover tons of ground and different locations. It's an absorbing journey and quite an achievement to make such a large world. But quantity too often comes at the expense of quality.
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC) 5/10

This is a mostly pretty cool adventure that I really enjoyed for the first 2/3rds.  It’s quite close to a walking simulator with some light puzzles and stealth bits; it’s mostly concerned with its story setting and characters.  The setting being a fantastical version of 1300’s France, with the two main characters being noble born children.  You largely play as the older girl, looking after her very young brother.

For the most part those bits are great.  The world is in turns beautiful and gruesome and often striking to look at.  The characters are so likeable and well acted; the little boy especially.  Early on, hearing him scream ineffectively at a swarm of plague rats to ‘shoo’ was heartbreaking.  I really didn’t want any harm to come to them.

And for the first 2/3rds it’s so well put together.  You don’t start off with many skills and there’s real tension when there’s even 1 enemy you need to get past.  It’s paced with puzzly bits, bits with evil people, bits with scary plague rats, and moments of respite, and they’re well judged.  The children grow more proficient as you go, but at what cost?  Without giving anything away there’s a really empowering bit which left me a little bit queasy - it was relatively tame especially by video game standards but I felt bad that the kids’ desperation had so desensitised them to the violence of their world.  Really effective stuff.

Unfortunately I thought the last stretch is pretty bad and I stopped enjoying it all together.  The game interactions were never top shelf but you gain a lot of skills and the interface can’t really keep up with everything you need to do.  It’s rote video game final level stuff - everything you’ve done before but more of it and not thoughtfully put together.  Sometimes you have a skill that should work but doesn’t because you need to do it another way.  It’s hard to believe the final boss has anything to do with the game I was playing earlier.  

The more you fail, the more you see the kids die and the less effect it has.  The game cost of a failure is fairly low and you restart quite close to where you die.  A lot of the tension is lost when you’re no longer bothered by the characters dying.  I’d see an area with lots of guards and obstacles, and rather than thinking my way through I’d use trial an error rather than thinking my way through as it seemed like it would be quicker, and I’d probably die anyway.

But worse than that story jumps the shark and reveals itself to be very schlocky.  It can’t completely undo the great character stuff from early on but I was surprised to find how little I cared at the end.  I was just happy it was over.

It’s a real shame I ended up not liking it a great deal.  Hopefully later I’ll mostly remember the great bits and not be bothered by the poor final 1/3rd.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    A Way Out is number 12 for me, got to 13 last year and will probably get there again this year with Luigi's Mansion 3 as the 13th. Don't think I'm going through DQIX quick enough to finish it this year.

Just another reason to cut back on buying games by quite a bit, I hardly finished any games from the list I made for myself.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Number 15 for me, it seems...
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC) 5/10
    I'd agree that it goes on just a bit too long and gets daft at the end, but I can't say it spoiled it for me. It's still one of the most visually stunning game of the year as well.
  • It really is nice looking.  Something to be said about games like this and Hell Blade - linear, smaller games that are less versatile than current AAA games but look great in their own more limited way.  

5/10 feels a bit low as well, a couple of days later.  Not sure the last few chapters spoiled it quite as much as I initially thought.  There was some really good stuff in there.

Anyway got to play a fairly quick one while at home sick yesterday

UFC 3 (EASY CAREER MODE ONLY) - (Xbox 1) - 6/10

I was just after something fairly mindless while I was stuck in the loungeroom all day.  I played it while watching/listening to Eurogamer's Final Fantasy 7 let's play series.  The let's play is more entertaining than UFC 3 on easy mode.  It is mostly a case of walking at your opponent, throwing hard punches, walking away until your stamina refills, then throwing more hard punches until you win.  You win within 2 minutes all the time like this.  Unless your opponent wrestles you to the ground, then you lose.  I couldn't get my head around the grappling system.  Not that I tried that hard.  I cheated and reset the game every time I got tackled to the ground, because I wanted to retire undefeated.  And I did!  I don't feel bad about this at all.  They're all on PEDs anyway.

That's all the depth I can go into re: the fighting.  Career mode is pretty much what you would think.  Start in a fake promotion, work your way to UFC and win enough to become the champion.  Win another belt; be just like Conor McGregor.  You choose which stats to increase between fights, and can promote yourself to get more fans and money.  It didn't matter in easy mode much as you soon have more money than you can spend, and there's bugger all to spend it on anyway.  

Really standard stuff but that's what I was in the mood for.  Won't stick around to try and master it or anything; it's already deleted.
  • I fancy doing an easy run of a recent Mortal Kombat at some point.  I don't plan to learn it but I'm intrigued by the story mode.  Haven't played an MK properly since no.II, but I liked stuff like Fight Night Champion (or even the journey mode in Fifa before I got bored).
  • 79. Videokid - Switch

Had my eye on this since it appeared in the coming soon section.  It dropped to 89p this week, not that it was expensive to start with (£4ish).  It's a three lane Paperboy clone with a hefty 80s memberberry makeover.  It's a touch roguey at a glance, as each restart seems to present a new build, but after a while I started to wonder if it was just a randomised set of pre-set layouts.  Either way it doesn't matter - a successful run takes around four minutes from start to finish, and the gist of the route remains similar regardless of which build it gives you (randomised streets, two sewer sections - always identical - and a couple of other unchanged sections en route to the final straight).  The more money you make the more cosmetic changes you can make to your Marty McMinecraft character while you learn to gradually inch closer to the end of the map.  An acquired taste for sure - it's very similar to Paperboy itself - but I loved this.  Each run ends with a progression percentage, and it really is as simple as reaching the end for 100% and credits.  It probably took me just over an hour of practice to rescue Jessica, but for the price I can't knock it, so I'll praise it with an [8].  It may not have half the style offensive of Sayonara Wild Hearts but strip them both to the core - which is why most people play these Lidl indie games - and this is far more playable.

VK-Gif-1.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I fancy doing an easy run of a recent Mortal Kombat at some point.  I don't plan to learn it but I'm intrigued by the story mode.  Haven't played an MK properly since no.II, but I liked stuff like Fight Night Champion (or even the journey mode in Fifa before I got bored).

I had a really good time with MK 11's story mode earlier this year mate.  It sounds insulting to describe it as cheesy fan service, but a lot of care has gone into it.  Not sure if MK X is still on gamepass, but that has a similar (though not quite as good) story mode, if you wanted to see if it's your cup of tea.
  • I downloaded X on gamepass but because there's more than an element of moron to me I'm still making eyes at 11. It'll be the first one on one fighter I've played since...I dunno, the two hours I spent with SFIV maybe, so I'm thinking I might as well play the best version.
  • 80. Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-A-Fide Edition - Switch

Spruced up rerelease of an XBLA game that passed me by.  I have quite specific tastes in grid tactics types - I like them to be fairly straightforward, with enough systems in play to make them feel deep without ever straying into overwhelming territory.  So we're talking Shining Force II, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Fire Emblem Awakening (alright, that dips a blocky foot into overwhelming) and Mario + Rabbids as my ultimate genre heroes.  This sits proudly alongside my favourites, I thought it was fantastic from start to finish.  I'll attempt to sum up the rules and systems quickly:

Movement area is dictated by a sphere rather than a grid.  Units can be knocked over edges for an instant kill.  Infantry have limited movement but the highest knockbackability.  Cavalry can cover large distances but don't hit hard.  Archers are fucking deadly.  Archers counter attack ranged attacks but not close combat strikes, everything else can counter close contact hits but not ranged attacks.  Form a 'spirit wall' by placing two or more units together and a) they can't be knocked back, and b) archers firing through them can't be counter attacked. Defeated enemies leave skulls behind which can be eaten to replenish health or increase maximum HP.  Eat three and your unit becomes a demon, granting them two moves per round.  Enemies can also eat your skulls to earn the same benefits.  Haunt rice paddies to harvest rice, haunt shrines to create troops by spending rice.  Total rice available per map is finite so it never becomes an RTS troop churn thing, but extra units can be key to victory.  HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.  Your general is your tank, he automatically gets two actions per round, but if he dies you lose instantly.  Same deal for the enemy general.  The more rounds you leave them to meditate without waking them up the more HP they gain.  A general that's eaten three skulls can attack three times, so they're absolutely deadly, but must be guarded at all costs. A general's HP can rise to 18, standard units can't go past 12.  That's most of it.  It sounds like a lot in a wall of text, but anyone au fait with the genre will know that it's really not - try summing up the XCom2 systems in one paragraph. 

So I've spent most of this review explaining how it works for some reason.  The main thing is, it works!  The campaign lasts around 7-8hrs and I've been thoroughly addicted for a week.  Brilliant game.  I bet multiplayer is an absolute riot too.  [9]

• 39. Arise: A Simple Story [8]
    27 Nov-1 Dec
    This is a simple story told exceptionally well without any words. Look back on the life of an old man in some sort of nomadic tribe by taking him through key events in his life relating to love and loss. Each stage represents a different emotion and does a great job in getting that across with the visual experience, the soundtrack, the environment design and your interaction with it. Mostly it involves simple platforming, with the added twist of a time lapse that you control, rewinding and forwarding the space around you to create ways forward. Every stage uses this in a slightly different way, and it really goes with the theme of reliving and examining your memories. The platforming itself is unfortunately a bit ropey, mainly due to the fixed camera angles that can make judging jumps difficult. But tolerate that and you've got a really magical experience (the lighting and music add so much) that has some big emotional twists along the way.
  • NBA 2K20 MyCareer Mode - 6/10

This game gets all sorts of reviews, thanks to being a very good basketball game with pretty much unlimited content with a pretty shithouse currency system.  I think people easily cheat on PC and it never gets fixed as well.  

My experience with 2K20 was mostly positive with some important caveats.  It is presented very lavishly with realistic graphics and cut scenes that look like they could be in a real movie that is sponsored by every shoe company.  Rosario Dawson and Idris Elba are in it, as well as lots of basketball people.  As you would assume.  It is as low key as you could hope for which is nice.  A few years ago you had to play as a man called Frequency Vibrations who killed a man with his best friend and covered it up.  I'm not making that up.  It was directed by Spike Lee.  

This time you have to play as a bloke called Che.  They don't tell you this before you start and you can give your man any name you like, but they will still call him Che.  I called my man Goro Barkley so I had to start again.  Anyway Che is presented as a pretty decent bloke.  I prefer these sports games to leave you mostly as a blank slate and this wasn't too bad.  You can be a lair or a quiet team man.

The story is your way into the NBA.  It's fine.  I wish they'd let you do a full college run and you would be drafted based on how well you do over a couple of years, I don't think that will ever happen though.

My problems with this game go:

*The bombastic presentation just slows everything down too much after a minute.  IE the actual game of basketball wants to look just like a TV broadcast.  When you start a game there's a preamble where the players are walking into the arena, commentators are throwing to each other, line ups are analysed, all of that.  During the game in timeouts cheerleaders and mascots come out to dance, t shirts are shot into the ground.  A screen will pop up of both teams' next 4 games.  It's impressive in the first game.  By the second game you're hammering the X button and it won't fuck off and let you get back to the game for upwards of 5 seconds.  I think only Mario Kart makes me swear at the TV more than this game.

*the game's currency behaves like souls in Dark Souls ie: you spend it both on levelling up and new clothes etc.  It's very stingy with how it doles it out.  This does not sit well since you can buy more with actual money.  I cracked it because the game bugged out; I signed a deal with a sportswear company and asked me to wear their shoes.  Fair enough.  I tried to get a pair from the store but it wanted me to buy them (you are supposed to get a gratis pair).  The cheapest was 2000 points, which is about 2 games worth.  I said bugger that, and got in trouble.  Not only is it evil corporation stuff but it is stupid - I'm supposed to believe my NBA rookie monster has to choose between getting better at basketball and buying shoes?  Ridiculous.

*Also this has to do with realistic sports games in general.  When you start getting quite good it cuts you down to keep your stats realistic.  Like the AI is not brilliant at rebounding.  So the game won't let you just run at the hoop in the big gap between the players, he will run towards the defenders like they have a gravitational pull or something.
  • 26:Death Stranding - PS4 Pro - 6/10 - 44 hours.
    I get it, I get what he was going for, I get the depth, the angle, the meaning, but he just missed so wide for me. Stretching everything beyond breaking point and ruining any emotional ties to the nonsense. And as a game it really didn’t work for me, the aesthetics were perfect, but the fun wasn’t there, in any way, and the story was such a good idea but then layers and layers added to it until it buried itself in nonsense. Such a disappointment for me. I completed it mainly as I didn’t want it to beat me. But I’m the end it did in a different way.
  • 81. My Friend Pedro - Xbox One

Cracking balletic bullet time romp that somehow manages to hit most of its targets.  Ever fancied playing a 2D version of John Woo's Stranglehold?  Watch a trailer and you could be forgiven for assuming it's trying too much, but after a few minutes it's obvious that the player is in complete control of the action.  The dual wield and the dodge work well, and although the slowmo could perhaps be viewed as window dressing it still adds to the experience by giving you something else that's fun to mess around with.  Fun is the key here - the campaign is a blast, there's plenty of scope for score chasing/improvement with practice and every single one of he weapons is legit.  Levels are mostly well designed and it laughs in the face of repetition by making the basics so enjoyable.  I'm only marking it down because there's a touch too much float to the controls, which gives the whole thing a breezy, lightweight feel that absolutely works, but also lends it a slight whiff of imprecision that prevents it from being a truly outstanding game.  Perhaps more finesse would detract from the enjoyment overall, so it's quite possible that the game occupies the sweet spot already.  A handful of stages are pure shite, but most of them sit somewhere between fine and excellent, and almost all of the devices it uses to mix things up work well without taking any wind out of its sails.  Very very close to an 8, but I'll go for a tip top [7] instead.  Good stuff.

4B2236B749FF4F27C4878A54553EE04AF3689605
  • 27:MGS:V - Xbox One X - 6/10 - No idea
    So after falling out with this game hard for numerous reasons I discovered via help from Tempy how to progress and after completing 2 side ops the last mission unlocked, so I was minutes away from finishing it. Still a massive let down and Kojima’d up the arse like some poor entry level pornstar. The game is such a disappointment for me overall as it was such a change for the series that just left me very empty, as did the ending as it just finishes on a whimper, with no real twist at all you didn’t see a mile off. Which is normal but there wasn’t even an attempt to make it look like it could be a surprise. Glad I’ve finally finished it but again, perfect aesthetically, great management in terms of weapons etc, and a good cast of characters, but let down by adding so so much which just dilutes the whole experience for me. Gutted.
  • 40 Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen [7]
    3-16 Dec
    I bought this cheap as something to play for a couple of weeks before going away for Xmas and it did its job. I ran through the last few parts pretty quickly to get it finished and even dropped down to easy for the last battle, after one already rather long failed first attempt. Normally I wouldn't have tried to tackle it so soon and was probably a bit under-leveled.

Anyway, solid action RPGing, which delivered in the areas I want - exploring, fighting and treasure hunting. The rest of it, like story, characters and the intricacies of item management, I found easy to ignore. It's best when you set out on a long trek into uncharted territory and stumble upon an unexpected location to poke around, eventually coming home with a sack full of loot after some close encounters. A few more enemy types would've been nice, but the group combat with AI pawns works well most of the time, even if everything's a bit rough around the edges.

There's clearly tons more to do and plenty more depth if I want it, but I'm happy with seeing the credits and moving on.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you find that fireworks well?
  • Ah, fireworks wells. Toss in a coin to make a wish, toss in a match to make a death wish.
  • Did you find that fireworks well?
    I assume the Fireworks Well is one of locations I've yet to find.
  • 28:Halo: Reach - Xbox One X - 8/10 - 5 Hours
    Still amazing, such a great campaign, and really emotional too. The MCC version is beautiful and runs as smooth as butter. Beautiful to play. I hate how it’s non-canon and completely ignores the books Bungie/MS helped create but it’s a great story nonetheless. It’s a great campaign with good variety, and the Space mission in the Sabre is just aces. Sounds odd but I love the weight is everyone dying as it adds an element missing from the other Halo’s in terms of the Spartans. Loved going through it again. Whilst it’s not my favourite Halo it’s up there.
  • What's the reason for Reach being non-canon?

It had the best campaign for legendary solo play since CE imo.

Edit: Actually I think I wimped out and opted for Heroic maybe.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    What's the reason for Reach being non-canon?

It had the best campaign for legendary solo play since CE imo.

Edit: Actually I think I wimped out and opted for Heroic maybe.

Quick and dirty answer, there’s talk of the split between Bungie and MS, Bungie making Halo Reach without much consideration for the Fall of Reach novel, and then 343 later retconned the lore to make the events of the game sort of fit. There have been some very in depth timelines created by the community, both the book and the game are oddball canon now, although it took Halsey’s diary, a few data drops and the Halo Fleet Battles rule book to fully explain how. Though it still doesn’t really make sense...

In a nutshell, in the novels, the Pillar of Autumn was in Orbit, leaving Reach on a mission with the entirety of the Spartan II’s and Cortana already aboard and working with them and Keyes. In the Reach game The Autumn is docked on the planet, Cortana needs to be transported last minute by Noble 6, and Chief is in cryo-sleep.

Doesn’t matter to 99.9% of players as they won’t have read the books but at the time Halo nerds like me didn’t really get why they chose to do it when the same game could gave been made with a slightly different ending.

For a super Halo Geek that’s played through all the campaigns a million times my favourite to play is...Halo 4.
  • You are weird.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!