52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • Mortal Kombat 11 (Story Mode) 7/10

Jolly good fun, this mode.  A great balance of being a cheesy action story with a lot of fan service.  They've really got this down pat now.  I think if it was a movie most people would give it 1 star, except for MK fans who would give it 4.  

The other single player stuff seems to be a bit of a dogs breakfast.  A real mess of various currencies, loot boxes, craftable consumable items etc.  It seems a real step back from Injustice 2, which in itself was very bloated, but at least you were regularly getting stuff that was somewhat interesting.

Regret preording and going the season pass!  One of the old, 'this might be quite good when the complete edition launches in a year' jobs.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still at two. What has happened to me?!?
  • You finally realised you had a family to spend time with?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No, not that
  • Ok. You’ll notice them at some point I’m sure.
  • 28. Crossing Souls - Switch

Bit of a slog in the end, this one.  Partly because it's one of the glitchiest games I've played for years, at least in undocked play.  One boss was almost unplayable due to huge frame drops (we're not talking stuttering, was more like buffering) and I had to watch a few of the animated story sections online as I was presented with a blank screen while the audio played - even when docked.  Same deal with the end credits, they just didn't display.  Unacceptable really, it clearly needed a patch that didn't arrive.

On to the game itself though, it's enjoyable enough (with the caveat of 'I suppose') and just about succeeds with all the unabashed borrowing from retro games and film tropes.  I'd had my eye on this for ages, way before launch, but unfortunately it's pretty run of the mill if you strip it down to the 90s gameplay at the heart of the I heart the 80s window dressing.  Part Zombies at my Neighbours, part Lost Vikings, but with tons of Goonies/Stranger Things vibes.  It has the standard movie posters for films such as 'Ghost Boshers'; you'll meet characters in time travelling cars called 'Martin McFlye', or a bloke in a wife beater crawling around an air duct who says he's not having a good Christmas this year (not actual examples, afaik, but you definitely get the gist).  THE SHNNING!  It's lazy reference chumming, which got old many years ago, but it's all so lightweight it ends up being enjoyable.  Oddly enough the plot, silly as it is, goes to some interesting places.  Look away now, the sum total of none of you ever likely to play this:
    Spoiler:
    Otherwise it's fairly standard stuff, and not particularly well executed either.  Yet for some reason I knew I had a soft spot for it even at the height of the annoyances.  It's not a good game, but it is a good 1990s style experience, even down to the irritating manual save points.  I'm not sure I could really give it kudos points for that though, it'd be far better with standard modern checkpointing.  Yep, you will occasionally have to replay an entire 15 minute section.  Also, if you die on a boss - which you will - you'll have to sit through all the preamble dialogue each time.  Even the moveset for various gang members are under utilised. The tom-boyish (natch) female character can propel herself across chasms if she stands next to the obvious double stump visual clue, but you have to do this what, twice in total, maybe?  The whole thing feels half baked.  I've gone on for far too long here so I'll put a sock in it.  Why did I quite like it anyway?  Fuck knows.  [6]

Crossing-Souls-Game-Download.gif
  • 6. Sekiro (PS4)

10/10. Might actually put some mini review here. But it lived up to my expectations. Almost perfect.
  • 29. I Am the Hero - Vita

Dusted the trusty Vita off for a final final farewell.  Had my eye on this on Switch for a while, very nearly bought it on release but thought better of it, ended up grabbing it for £3.29 in a PSN sale.  Turns out it wasn't worth the wait, so I'm not sure who won that particular stand off.  It's a functional side scrolling juggle-heavy beat 'em up where you're usually battling between one and three enemies, somewhere between Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and The Dishwasher (and published by a fake Devolver).  The view is noteworthy in that I don't think I've ever played a skewed side scroller where the characters get closer as they move to the right of the screen, but it's a gimmick that adds nothing whatsoever to the experience (and ends up making a couple of the bosses slightly more annoying - well played guys).  Not a *bad* game per se, had it been released in 1996 I might've said there was depth to the combat compared to something like Three Dirty Dwarves or Die Hard Arcade, but even as a Saturn release it'd only be an 81% jobbie.  Which means in 2019 it's more of a jobbie jobbie. [4]  Would've scraped a 5 if it had managed to maintain a constant framerate, there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours (as I've proven over the past few years).

2.gif
  • 13. A Plague Tale: Innocence [7]
    This is a decent narrative-led action/stealth game made quite a bit better by the quality of world and character building. Gameplay is simple enough to keep it moving at a good pace, but the real stars of the show are the kids, the views and the rats. It all lacks a bit of polish, but that's easy to forgive when the characters and situations drive it forward so well.

Edit: I'll call it a 7, but it was borderline 8.

fQzhQU9.jpg

14. Heaven's Vault [7]
    Indie sci-fi archeology joint. You go around looking for ancient stuff and translating inscriptions, in order to discover new sites of interest. There's also an interesting story going on about the peoples from different moons and some themes about how we understand history. The best part of it is exploring new sites and finding new stuff to translate. When you start to put the language together it's fascinating. The main issue with it though is that it all moves just a little too slow, especially sailing between locations, and the interface can be a bit clumsy.
  • 12: Days Gone PS4 - 9/10
    Loved it. Absolutely loved it. It’s simply Walking Dead the game where Zombies or Freaks as they’re called here aren’t the real enemy but the collapse of humanity is. Making your way around the reasonably big world on your trusty motorbike never gets old and there’s the usual open world options and missions you can take part in if you wish in the form of bounties, clearing out marauder or Ripper camps, hostage saving etc etc. I usually wouldn’t bother but lapped up pretty much everything I was enjoying it that much. Main storyline was predictable but still, loved it and got totes emosh a few times. Absolutely loved this.

13. The Division 2 Xbox One - 9/10
    Would be a 10 if I’d managed more multiplayer with it so could become a 10. Big world, tons of stuff to do, absolute stunner, aces nonsense story, loads of shit hot guns etc to use, so many variants and options in armour as you’d expect so the grind is just non-stop but never feels like a chore. Will be playing this for an absolute age to come, does exactly what you want a long term grindathon to do but does it better than everything else. Best 3rd person shooter there is.
  • 15. Devil May Cry V [7]
    The focus and purity of this is very commendable - it's all about the combat - and the systems are clearly refined and deep. What I'm not sure about is whether it assumes too much prior knowledge. I've finished it on Devil Hunter mode (Normal, effectively) and I feel like I've learned 100 different moves but I haven't really been taught how to play it. It's like there's another game running parallel to the OTT button-mashing hack and slash thing I played, but it doesn't want to tell you what it is. Instead it keeps loading on new techniques and controls, until there's too much to remember. Fair enough to an extent, in terms of giving you plenty of approaches and styles, but it makes it all kind of confusing. The other issue is the level design is pretty bland for the most part, so whether it's worth going through all those levels again just to improve skills is questionable. It probably isn't for me, but I did have a laugh with it for the most part. The spectacle, especially with bosses, was strong and the action was frantic and fun. I can understand why some people would love it, but my experience was merely good.
  • DMC is one of those games that designed to be replayed. You'll jump up to the next level and have learned more moves, and keep going.

For a single playthrough it will likely feel pretty chaotic, but as you go through it becomes something more like a dance.
  • Yeah, I can see there's potential to get a lot more out of it, it's just not necessarily clear how to go about it. For something that wants to be replayed it could do a better job of indicating why to those of us who aren't series veterans.
  • 30. The Bridge - Vita

This was fine a while but by the fourth chapter the puzzles made my head hurt.  Your character and the balls you have to roll around seem to be operating on different rules of gravity, which means many of the solutions didn't feel right even as I solved them.  Happy to admit I'm a div here, this and The Swapper are the prime examples of puzzlers with final stretches I had trouble solving.  Not a terrible game but definitely a slog; you'd have to pay me handsomely to play through the bonus stages.  [5]
  • I've slowed down a bit recently, bouncing around a few games without finishing many yet. 

28 & 29. R-Type Dimensions EX (PC)
    R-Type 2 is the best shmup I've played. Later ones (namely Gradius V, R-Type Final, Ikaruga and I want to complete my personal favourite UN Squadron) are on my 'to play' list so that might not hold. But R-Type 2 doesn't waste a second. It's continually chucking new things at you, not a repeated enemy pattern or anything. A smorgasboard of invention. Both the R-Types have something weird about them, like it's the base template for how all shooters should control and play and all the others have something a little bit off about them because they're not R-Type. It feels completely natural. 
    I'm less sure about Dimensions EX as a product. You can play infinite mode (infinite lives and instant respawning) or classic (fuck all lives and you die quickly). Infinite is the only choice for me, which is even more forgiving than save states because the inconvenience of reloads is eliminated completely. And unlike something like the Gradius collection, you don't actually have to complete a section to pass it. Just fail repeatedly while getting shots in. To bring in some rough form of challenge, it uses lives used as a means of scoring your run through. 
    So, ok, it's a pair of short games, the levels are short and you can replay them individually and get better over time. They've increased the difficulty though, it's above normal arcade difficulty, and you can't change it. So, while enjoyable, there isn't really an option where someone of my skill can get through this without an embarrassing number of lives used and you're not really getting good at the game as you play either. I assume the difficulty was played with to counter the breeziness of playing through the game without being able to properly die. But instead it sort of detaches you from the game. These are side issues I suppose. The original mode is still there.  
    Another USP of this game is being able to switch between original 2D and new 3D graphics on the fly. But the 3D graphics are so sterile that I don't know why anyone would choose them. If you do, you're bad and wrong.
    Still, there's an hour and a bit of amazeballness gaming and explosive popping eye candy to pick up and plough through. I've done two playthroughs and can see myself doing a few more in the future. 

30. Prince of Persia (Snes)
    Not completed but finished with it. I've made it to the penultimate level - a boss rush - with about two minutes left, which just isn't enough time to do it. Pain in the arse. If I'd kept some earlier saves I might have been able to shave enough time off but I didn't so I couldn't. I think I had this on the master system but I don't know how far I got. It's pretty unforgiving so doubt I made much headway and I doubt the MS port is all that good. I hadn't realised how much Flashback owes to this. The movement is a bit more fluid in Flashback but still kind of stilted, probably due to the difficulty in combining smooth rotoscoping with responsive controls. The level designer is a demented genius and a malicious sadist. Amazing environmental puzzling but probably a bit dated - scouring around looking for out of place floor tiles, then rushing to get to a gate that's quickly closing, god knows where. 
    Still amazing levels and puzzles, great soundtrack, some moments of pure genius. The swordplay doesn't really hold up which is a shame because there's a fair bit of it.
  • The MS port of Persia is surprisingly good, worth firing up a rom for a look at some point.
  • I should get that R-Type thing at some point. I do like me a bit of R-Type.
  • 31. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - PS4

In this day and age the discerning gamesplayer need two piles of shame - one for games purchased, and one for games attained via subscription services.  The 'freebies' tend to get sorted into three categories - nope, maybe at some point if I'm hard up for something to play (which is the same as nope), and yep.  Valiant Hearts has been on my yep pile for PS+ since before I picked up a PS4 (see? There was a point to this intro).  Even on the yes pile, there's a rough order to proceedings, and as this always stayed somewhere near the middle it never got played.  I've bored myself now, IGNORE THIS PARAGRAPH.

I thought I'd give this a go this weekend and ended up getting sucked in completely.  Aside from the few screens I played when I first got it I did the lot in one day.  I wasn't sure how they'd handle the WWI setting, because it seems ripe to be left the fuck alone for videogames in case you end up with a guns 'n ammo war is hell Get Some! mawkish mess.  Thankfully this is deftly handled and I think the devs deserve far more credit than they got.  The graphic novel style works a treat, with stylish comic panels appearing at key points to assist your actions, which tied with the weighty knockabout approach places it in some sort of miraculous sweet spot.  I remember this being considered quite good, but it's closer to excellent imo.  I've never been one to inject history into my veins, yet I do dabble with The Great War from time to time.  I've read things like Forgotten Voices and Letters From the Somme, and at one point a younger me thought Birdsong was a perfect novel.  Two of the four times I've been abroad were to visit battlefields in Belgium.  I tried to watch They Shall Not Grow Old but pulled the plug when it switched to colour as I was hungover, much like I am now, and the shift punched me in the fuck.  I'm more delicate the morning after, see?  So in a very David Brent way it's my favourite war, to use a phrase that should be avoided, and the historical info throughout the game is neatly presented to temper the occasionally playful vibe of the campaign.  

The gameplay consists of the sort of puzzles that can be easily enjoyed despite the fact that they rarely break the stride of progression.  It's all fairly simple and over-reliant of cranks and pulleys, but remains enjoyable throughout.  The use of the canine companion is well handled, as are the majority of the off piste sections like stealth missions, double character areas and the frankly masterful into-the-screen rhythmic car chases.

It can only really be an [8], because if you boil it down to the core puzzling it's merely functional, but with all the bells and whistles attached it really is a beautiful game.

Mild spoilers ahead, as the aforementioned car sections were a nice surprise for me, but for those interested....

Check out the audio synching too, top work:

• 32. FutureGrind - Switch

A Thursday punt pays off at last.  £1.52 this cost me, and as it came out in January, according to Google, it's game of the sodding year.  It's a course based auto runner where you grind on (or on the underside of) rails, only touching them with a wheel of the corresponding colour.  You can double or triple jump, depending on your vehicle, hang from rails by holding jump, and spin the craft forwards or backwards.  That's pretty much it, the rest is just built around the near perfect basics.  At first you have to try to get through the track unscathed, then additional parameters are added (don't touch the purple rails, for example).  The progression system doesn't give you much leeway, you'll mostly need to complete all three challenges per stage to move on.  This would be annoying in most games but I was up for doing that anyway - because it's fun - so it gets a pass.  Combine Unirally, Trials, Colour Guardians, Bit.Trip.Runner, Thumper and Olli Olli and you've got a game better than most of the other ones mentioned in this sentence.  It's constantly tricky but the tasks are always doable, even when it feels overwhelming practice will see you through as although it's mostly skill based, and can be played as such, memorisation can give you an edge eventually.  I can't recommend this highly enough, would've happily paid full whack for it. [9]

OblongMajorBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif
  • Sekiro. 

NG+, bad ending. No, I’m not gonna count it again. :)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    32. FutureGrind - Switch A Thursday punt pays off at last.  £1.52 this cost me, and as it came out in January, according to Google, it's game of the sodding year.  It's a course based auto runner where you grind on (or on the underside of) rails, only touching them with a wheel of the corresponding colour.  You can double or triple jump, depending on your vehicle, hang from rails but holding jump, and spin the craft forwards or backwards.  That's pretty much it, the rest is just built around the near perfect basics.  At first you have to try to get through the track unscathed, then additional parameters are added (don't touch the purple rails, for example).  The progression system doesn't give you much leeway, you'll mostly need to complete all three challenges per stage to move on.  This would be annoying in most games but I was up for doing that anyway - because it's fun - so it gets a pass.  Combine Unirally, Trials, Colour Guardians, Bit.Trip.Runner, Thumper and Olli Olli and you've got a game better than most of the other ones mentioned in this sentence.  It's constantly tricky but the tasks are always doable, even when it feels overwhelming practice will see you through as although it's mostly skill based, and can be played as such, memorisation can give you an edge eventually.  I can't recommend this highly enough, would've happily paid full whack for it. [9]
    OK, I've just bought this. It is ridiculously cheap and seems like a good quick game to have handy for portable play.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why is it that cheap in switch and ten times as much on all other platforms? Did someone muddle their Nintendo tax calculations?
  • EShop tends to be all over the place with sale pricings, but I half suspect it's supposed to be down to £11.50ish rather than £1.50ish.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can I buy it without yet opening a switch?
  • They're designed to be played with you know.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    *owning yo. The question stands.
  • I still don't know the answer though. Might be worth asking in the Switch thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Error Code: 9001-0026
    In order to continue, please access Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo Switch console linked to this Nintendo Account.
  • So Futuregrind seems solid. Very much Trials simplified, and easy to get into high score chasing and looking for the best lines and flip opportunities.

I've done 20% of it so far, in about half an hour. So it may only be good for a few hours (depending how difficult it gets). It would've seemed pricey at £16, I think. But it was £1.50, so major bargain.
  • Progression slows but I think it took me 3-4hrs to do the main game. Maybe a touch more, but the game clock app doesn't update for ten days so I can't be sure. 100% doesn't seem to be the end of it though, despite credits rolling. Apologies if that's a spoiler but sticking it in a spoiler box would be confusing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!