Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!
  • The Old Man and the Gun
    Warm, gentle film despite subject. A fitting send off to Robert Redford.
    [7]
  • 1. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
    Very silly but very smart. Worth it for the time travel bit. 
    [8]

2. Bird Box
    Averagely made sci fi lifted by the interesting concept. 
    [5]

3. War of the Worlds
    One I keep returning to. Exceptional setpieces that are still effective. 
    [9]

4. The Favourite
    An actual comedy at the cinema. Was funny, well acted and unnerving at times. Best of his for me. Yet to see Dogtooth 
    [8]

Aquaman
    Maybe one day DC will learn how to make a movie. A mess for so many reasons. 
    [3] because people riding sharks.

Geostorm
    Very low expectations and wasn't giving it my full attention. Was okay. No 2012 or Day After Tomorrow though. 
    [4]

ROMA
    Classically Cuarony shot film. Beautiful to look at and a well told little story. Felt very Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 
    [9]

Ghost Stories
    Black Mirror as a movie. Ham fisted horror moments. Somewhat interesting overall. 
    [5]

Fyre
    Solid doc about that festival that didn't happen. Helps the fuckwads filmed themselves fucking everything up. 
    [8]

The Predator
    A real fuckin mess. I wonder if these fuckwads documented themselves fucking this up. Nice violence though. 
    [2]

Venom
    Nothing special but not terrible. Pre-spiderman 2 style superhero deal. Hardy and Venom make a good pair. 
    [5]

The Fountain
    For the millionth time. Maybe didn't enjoy it as much as previous times but is still great. Beautiful movie. Blu ray transfer was garbage and grainy though 
    [8]

Alita
    Stunning visuals, iffy writing and acting. Average but fun at times. 
    [5]

Nocturnal Animals
    A type of movie that has been done better by better directors. Always seemed like it thought it was fancier than it actually was.
    [4]

Fast and Furious 8
    Proper guff. But fun guff. Always funny to think of the simplicity of the first movie when watching these.
    [6]

Captain Marvel
    Second tier Marvel that suffers from some clunky editing and not so great action direction. Still fun though and some funny moments with a good message.
    [7]

Colossal
    Should have been a good movie but wasn't. Obviously didn't know what it wanted to be about.
    [2]

Destroyer
    Okay little thriller. Not as good as the Invitation.
    [6]

US
    Neat idea. Average execution.
    [5]

Ralph Wrecks The Internet
    Way too much advertising but not too bad. Themes hit a bit too close to home.
    [7]

Widows
    Wonderfully directed and we'll acted. Very solid film.
    [9]

Bad Times At The El Royale
    Blandly directed Tarantino wannabe.
    [4]

Crazy Rich Asians
    Not the worst way to spend a couple of hours. Ending resolved a bit too quickly.
    [6]

Mortal Engines
    A bit of a mess. Probably 3 films forced into 1. Nice visuals in parts.
    [3]

SHAZAM!
    Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Should have had more of the funny.
    [6]

21 Jump St
    Still one of my favourite recent comedies. Funny. Good chemistry with the leads.
    [9]

A Simple Favour
    Not a thriller. Kind of comedy. Not enough mystery. Kinda boring. Weird movie
    [5]

Mary Poppins Returns
    Mary Poppins is a bitch and lost her knack for song-writing. Almost turned it off.
    [3]

Once
    Charming little music based film. Really nice.
    [8]

A Star is Born
    Man makes a woman famous. Film doesn't earn the moments it wants. Held up by the leads.
    [5]

Avengers Endgame
    Very good end to this series of characters
    [9]

Burning
    Very good Korean drama. Nice long burn
    [8]

Detective Pikachu
    Loved it. A kids film with a lot of humour and heart
    [8]

Under The Shadow
    Iranian horror that was okay.
    [6]

Paddington 2
    Still amazing
    [11]

How To Train Your Dragon 3
    Not as good as 2. But still enjoyable
    [6]

Possum
    Weird and creepy little Norfolk horror. Highly recommend.
    [8]

Dragged Across Concrete
    Definitely his best film but still not sure his style is my thang
    [6]

Resolution
    Very good indie film made cleverly with a goo premise. Recommend especially if you like Primer
    [8]

Godzilla 2
    They really need to work on writing better stories. Luckily big things smash into big things
    [6]

Avengers Endgame
    Second time cos why not. Was good again and seemed to feel even shorter
    [8]

Spring
    Another film by the Resolution guys. Very well done on a small budget. Resolution a bit better
    [7]

Arrival
    Still stunningly well made, maybe not as effective the second time
    [8]

Murder Mystery
    Another dumb Sandler comedy. This time they pay themselves to go to the French Riviera. Actually made me laugh a couple of times though
    [5]

Wild Rose
    A cliched but well acted movie that I enjoyed because of the characters.
    [7]

Parasite
    Very solid Korean thriller, not sure what it's message was though
    [8]

Spidey FFH
    A pretty good sequel that can't quite handle it's globe trotting story
    [7]

Toy Story 4
    Wholly unnecessary but very solid and funny sequel
    [7]

World War Z
    Woeful direction in a weirdly bloodless and bland action zombie film
    [4]

Suspiria
    Very nicely shot and very creepy when it wants to be. Shits the bed a little.
    [8]

Paterson
    Beautiful little film. It's all the little touches and moments that make it. That and the dog. Should have won best actor that dog.
    [10]

Snowtown
    Grim, fairly well made. Very Australian. Not sure it has much of a point though.
    [7]

Vivarium
    Interesting concept but not much to carry it through a whole film
    [5]

Come to Daddy
    Fun horror comedy. Maybe more thriller comedy. Some top cringe moments
    [8]

Beats
    Fun little film about mates and raves. Weird that it lags when it gets to the rave.
    [8]

The Beach Bum
    I think I know what it was taking the piss out of but that didn't make it a fun film to watch.
    [3]

The Day Shall Come
    A bit of a let down after such a wait from Four Lions. Best watch some Iannucci instead or back to Four Lions.
    [5]

The Dead Don't Die
    A bit of fun from Jarmusch but also nothing of real note.
    [6]

Hobbs and Shaw
    You know what you're in for really. Made me wish for the days of Fast 5 though
    [5]

Slow West
    A beautiful little film. Each scene is like a vignette but it fits together
    [9]

In Fabric
    Such a unique vision. Not quite as brilliant as Berberian but still a joy to watch
    [8]

The Royal Tenenbaums
    Good movie to watch when sick and you need some comfort. Don't think it's my fave of his anymore though
    [8]

Something Else
    Not quite as successful low budget horror as The Battery but still has some quality writing.
    [6]

I Lost My Body
    Interesting, funny and somewhat touching animated film about a severed hand. Good soundtrack.
    [7]

The Lodge
    Entirely derivative and poorly executed. Thanks, I hate it
    [1]

Midsommar
    Stunning direction and cinematography. Didn't grab me as much as Hereditary though.
    [7]

Lost Soul
    Scrappy but interesting documentary about movie making. Some fun behind the scenes footage and stories.
    [6]

Weathering With You
    Not as good as Your Name, story was a bit clunkily told, but it is still fun
    [6]

The House That Jack Built
    I'd glad filmmakers like Lars are making stuff but sometimes they miss more than hit.
    [4]

Bait
    Worse than I thought it was going to be. You gotta know how you're going to visualise the shark. They did not know. Very ropey effects too
    [3]

Glass
    Not too bad. Obviously small budget. Shame the limited set restricted the direction, the start had much more mojo.
    [5]

The Dark Crystal
    Not sure why it took so long to watch this. Very creepy but also fairly clunky in its storytelling.
    [5]

Interstellar
    Nolan is a great director but a pretty average writer. Zimmer's best soundtrack?
    [8]

IT Chapter 2
    I wish the director had more creativity. Great acting and visuals but terrible music and too many similar jump scares.
    [6]

Gravity 3D Imax
    My third time seeing it and it kind of has diminishing returns but it's still a cool ride. That second meteor strike sequence is a heck of a thing
    [7]

The Endless
    Solid low budget sci fi that continues on from Resolution. Maybe not quite as tight as that one but still clever and well executed.
    [7]

AD Astra
    Philosophising space adventure. Maybe doesn't execute the character arc as well as it thinks but I really enjoyed the ride. Stunning at times too.
    [9]

Shark Night
    Better than Bait. That's not saying much though.
    [4]

The Nightingale
    A difficult film to watch but an important one.
    [9]

Joker
    Stunning visuals and another great physical performance by Phoenix. I need to ponder the why of the film though.
    [7]

El Camino.
    Was fun to be back in that world even just for an extended episode.
    [8]

Australian Dream
    A good companion to Nightingale. Something all Australians should probably watch. Gives a lot of context to what is going on racially in this country.
    [8]

Gemini Man
    Interesting tech (120fps 3D) with some cool action but terrible writing. It's a shame because it would be interesting to see if the tech could be used for something useful.
    [2]

Playing Hard
    An interesting toe dip into what it takes to make a big budget videogame.
    [6]

Apostle
    A bit shit. Disappointing.
    [3]

Between Two Ferns The Movie
    Like most US comedies it has too much improv. The interviews are still good.
    [5]

Lords of Chaos
    Very good film about Norwegian Black Metal. Quite bloody but also quite funny at times.
    [8]

Ready or Not
    A fun concept made a bit average by the execution. Needed more directorial style.
    [6]

Missing Link
    Disappointingly average story with fun acting and incredible animation. I hope Laika keep making things but I also hope it's better than this
    [6]

47 Metres Down Uncaged
    What you expect really. Some surprisingly good moments but mostly undermined by completely CG shark. Ya gotta have a real puppet shark in there to sell those moments. These new directors never learn.
    [5]

Dr Sleep
    Not really a sequel to the Shining in terms of movie style but I loved what this did. It's classic King stuff with some stunning Flanagan filmmaking. Attention did wane at times though.
    [8]

Dolemite Is My Name
    Fun little biopic-ish movie about Blaxploitation film maker Rudy Ray Moore. Good to see Murphy back on screen plus lots of other fun cameos.
    [7]

CLIMAX
    Not as Gasper Noe-y as you might think. Lots of style but not as gripping or affecting as his other stuff. Nobody does credits like him though.
    [6]

8th Grade
    Very well realised and rather awkward film about being a teen.
    [8]

Don't Look Now
    I've heard it mentioned a lot in film discussion as a classic. It's a bit of its time, sometimes too much, but it is interesting. Will do some reading.
    [5]

Reel Rock 14
    Climbing short film collection. Was good fun with some beautiful scenery. Makes you want to get outdoors.
    [9]

Little Monsters
    Horror comedy is hard. This is a fun film with some zombies but it ain't no horror
    [6]

Blockers
    Pretty funny at times but also quite clunky at others in a way that suggests cobbling together of improv takes. Enjoyable no brainer stuff.
    [6]

Terminator: Dark Fate
    Good enough story but action is unexciting and the film is also clunky with unnecessary flashbacks and too much CGI. Linda Hamilton is phenomenal though.
    [6]

Ford V Ferrari
    A solid film of likes of Moneyball but not quite as good. Car scenes are fantastic though
    [7]

Happy Death Day 2U
    A fun story for a sequel that is hampered by bland and cliche scare sequences.
    [6]

Knives Out
    Enjoyable murder mystery but not quite as much as it thinks it is.
    [7]

The Blob (80s version)
    Can't believe I hadn't seen this till now. Amazing practical effects with dodgy green screen. Teen me would have loved it.
    An 80s [9]

Frozen 2
    Somewhat lackluster offering from Disney with some questionable politics in the story and lazy storytelling. Good songs and animation though.
    [5]

Hostel Part 2
    I couldn't remember if this was good. It's okay. Broadening the scope diluted what made the first so nasty and effective.
    [5]

The Irishman
    Too long and iffy CG faces on old old men. A classic Scorcese style film that's been done better by him before. Pesci is great.
    [6]

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
    A very rushed telling of a story. 2 films in one I think. Undoes too much of TLJ. Stunning production value though and excellent actings from the leads. It's Star Wars
    [7]

Marriage Story
    A touching and funny and very well acted film about a couple. Perhaps a touch long.
    [8]

6 Underground
    Literally the worst movie I've seen. Incomprehensible. Mean spirited. An expensive looking complete mess.
    [0]

The Hallow
    A mostly well executed, low budget monster film. Cool monsters. A little clunky and amateur at times.
    [6]

Lego Movie 2
    Even though it's written by Lord and Miller it doesn't have their spark. Too many jokes were clunkers. That animation though!
    [5]

Klaus
    A very nice, if a bit predictable, Christmas story. Stunning 2D animation and a good heart. I liked the chickens.
    [7]

High Life
    Very French space movie that isn't so concerned about the space bit. Interesting but maybe a bit too tired for it to grab me. I liked the lo-fi sci-fi aesthetic.
    [5]

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
    Maybe not as fun the first time I saw it when it surprised me in how good it was. Still enjoyable though. Looking forward to the new one.
    [7]

Thunder Road
    A very good written by, directed by, edited by, main actored by one guy movie. Hits a lot of good notes.
    [8]

Hellboy (the new one)
    Average movies are interesting. This one seems to have had a trouble production. A lot of producers. Ill placed pop songs are a good indication of differing opinions. The script is bland too. Nice practical effects, cruddy CGI. Not the worst thing ever. Just not worth spending your time on.
    [4]

The Voices
    Rather good and rather dark comedy with Ryan Reynolds made before every Ryan Reynolds movie had him playing Deadpool.
    [8]

Booksmart
    Very funny coming of age film that was a bit more stock standard in its story beats than I thought it would be. That deficit made up for by the chemistry of the leads.
    [8]

Dante's Peak
    Not a bad way to end 2019 movie watching. Still a classic. Like Twister it has enjoyable characters and a well set up premise with great special effects. Awesome miniature work in this.
    [8]
  • T2: TrainspottingNot a great story but happy to spending time with brilliant characters.
    [7]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd give it a 9. Thought it was really well done. Must watch it again, think it's on Netflix now.
  • Aye, it is on Netflix. I have no desire to rewatch it though.
  • Yeah its on Netflix.
    I think it relied a bit too much on some tropes from the first. Some done well, like when Renton recreates the car, smile, run iconic shot.
    Others like the Choose Life tyrade are a bit cringe.
    The end felt a bit too much like an action or slasher movie as well.

The characters are great although Spud becomes a Spud caricature towards the end.

I could see how others would go for a 9, can also see others going lower than a 7. 
    The first is a solid 10 and will be getting a rewatch soon.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I liked how it played on nostalgia with a kind of wait you know these guys are all filthy scumbags right? Like Renton's rose tinted childhood memories at the start.
  • Ant Man and The Wasp
    Playful use of powers in CG. Evangeline Lilly. Evangeline Lilly. Evangeline Lilly.
    [8]
  • Tag
    Great fun, passed the 6 laugh test and made me miss my mates [8]
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah I enjoyed that one. Better than the trailer anyway.
  • Ghost Stories. Felt like an overstretched episode of Inside No.9, but still fun. [6]
  • Oh i loved Ghost stories.
    Absolutely excellent right up until the end when it took a bit of a nose dive for me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Second tale was the plod for me.  I didn't mind the ending, had an inkling it would go that way and it's nice to be right once in a blue moon.
  • Venom
    Boilerplate action template + Tom Hardy + ok but weirdly toned jokes = watchable bullshit
  • Its fine , I liked it. That motorbike scene though, that compositing was something else.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Loophole
    Without doubt the worst film I've ever seen. I've seen some shite [2]

it gets a two for being in focus and having the sound and pictures in sync
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • hahahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Today I watched Escape Plan. I'm not sure why I watched Escape Plan.  Don't bother watching Escape Plan.
  • I watched Icarus today, gripping.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Wall Street
    It's got a 2 inch screen. We're entering a new world Bud.
    [9]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Honestly terrible yet I want you all to waste the time I wasted

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Austin Powers 2 - 2 1/2 stars
    Terminator 2 3 1/2 stars
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Honestly terrible yet I want you all to waste the time I wasted
    Dear Lord. You sat through all of that???
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 2. In order of Disappearance - Black comedy, very much enjoyed, great movie, would certainly recommend. Foreign, unfortunately. 7/10
  • Posting as well as updating your OP list is a good idea. I should do that too. If the thread isn’t bumped regularly I’ll forget to contribute.
  • The Favourite: Darkly funny and slightly unsettling historical oddity, skewering the grotesque machinations of the upper classes in 18th Century England. 8/10

Shin Godzilla: Godzilla is a big nuclear lizard and an even bigger political allegory for post-Fukushima Japan, but dodgy VFX and the fact that most of the action takes place in identical boardrooms leave him looking disappointingly bloated. 5/10
  • poprock wrote:
    Posting as well as updating your OP list is a good idea. I should do that too. If the thread isn’t bumped regularly I’ll forget to contribute.

I usually watch way more movies than I have so far this year so I’ll keep bumping it dude, just going through The X-Files from the beginning so it’s taking up most of movie time!
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Dirty Dozen, but with lasers and sarcastic robots. Mads Mikkelsen's wasted.

7/10
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I usually watch way more movies than I have so far this year so I’ll keep bumping it dude …

I’ve been keeping my OP updated, so far. I just like the idea of also making new posts, keeping the thread afloat.
  • I’ve only been updating my OP with what i’ve watched.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!