Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!
‹ Previous123
  • Hvm3lL.gif

Gonna record ALLLLLL the movies I watch here this year but with a tiny twist, only one sentence max of 12 word reviews and a score out of 10. That’s it. No idea how many movies I watch a year and somehow manage to forget which ones I have watched. Don’t have to be newly watched or anything, gonna record everything aside from if I’ve already watched them within this calendar year, may just edit the existing review with a x2 indicator or something.

I think this might be fun, happy to keep a record too in future years!
  • MINES! Really sad to say I’ve not watched any so far as binging on X-Files since the beginning and Heroes!

1. Halloween 1978- Still tense, if aged but still enjoyable! Myers is also still terrifying. 7/10
    2. In order of Disappearance - Black comedy, good but not great, would recommend though. But foreign, unfortunately. 7/10
  • Great idea. In.

1. The Martian
    Bog standard but decent enough, end rescue attempt the only stand out.
    [7]
  • Yes. Maybe. Not sure I should admit some of the crap I watch.

06/01 Layer Cake - Hadn't seen before. After a shaky start it turned into a decent crime caper. ***
  • JonB wrote:
    Yes. Maybe. Not sure I should admit some of the crap I watch.

DO IT! We’re not here to judge...but we will...
  • Aye sure.

I won't do orders cos I can't remember, but so far I know I've watched at least these: 
    I score out of 5 (sorry) and I'll maybe add reviews later.

Ghost Stories - ***
    Supernatural anthology with a venomous sting. Has one too many twists for its own good.  

Bird Box -**
    Underwhelming post-apoc film that tediously focuses on post rather than the apoc.

CAM - ****
    Lynchian dive into an abyss of sex work and identity. One for the iPhone generation. 

Nocturnal Animals - ***
    Sleazy thriller that's up to no good. Falls short of a gut punch.

Shin Godzilla - ***
    Bureaucrat and the legacy of Fukushima collide in a Kaiju love letter - replete with silly SFX.

Gone Girl - ****
    David Fincher prooves he's the don of the last 20 years with this unctuous thriller.

Being John Malkovich - ****
    Kaufman takes on the notorious creeps puppeteers, second only to Mimes as the worst artists alive.

You Were Never Really here - *****
    Lynne Ramsay is the greatest.
  • Cam
    Nice concept, forgot the fundamentals. Gets a point for accuracy  and production.
    [2]

Venom
    Tom Hardy can't save this fun but flawed my-first action horror.
    [6]

The Old Man and the Gun
    Warm, gentle film despite subject. A fitting send off to Robert Redford.
    [7]

T2: Trainspotting
    Not a great story but happy to spending time with brilliant characters.
    [7]

Ant Man and The Wasp
    Playful use of powers in CG. Evangeline Lilly. Evangeline Lilly. Evangeline Lilly.
    [8]

Wall Street
    It's got a 2 inch screen. We're entering a new world Bud.
    [9]
  • I don’t think there’s any way I’ll keep this up through the year, but you never know …

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Godawful charisma-free and unnecessary continuation of the franchise.

Pitch Perfect 3
    They really should have stopped after the first (great) fun movie – the second was too daft and this is ridiculous.

Ant-Man and The Wasp
    Bog-average superhero fare with a few laughs but no real substance – best bit was the post-credits tie-in with Avengers.

The Post
    Slow to start, but grows into a powerhouse of a ‘true story’ thriller.

The Holiday
    Probably my favourite Christmas movie, it’s a fluffy cosy blanket of a flick.

La La Land
    Still glorious, but not as magical as the first time you watch it.

Mary Poppins Returns
    Unexpectedly good sequel/rehash that actually stands up to the original.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
    Was this a movie? Promising attempt at interactive fiction which squandered its potential on hokey endings.

Graphic Means
    Documentary on the transition from pre- to post-digital graphic design – taught me nothing new but was fun to watch.

Brexit:The Uncivil War
    Using caricatures to explain the tactics behind Vote Leave’s Brexit campaign. Futile but interesting.

The Commuter
    Serviceable daft action thriller. Liam Neeson on a train. Better than expected.

Our Kind of Traitor
    Serviceable John le Carre thriller. McGregor is wooden but Skarsgård puts in a good turn.
  • Good idea but I use Letterboxd for this.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Good idea.

I have a few-

SkyScraper- it’s Die Hard with The Rock. Loved it. [8]

Ant Man & The Wasp - it’s fun, silly and Paul Rudd is his always likeable self. Enjoyed. [8]

The Predator - I had fun with this, not brilliant but a perfectly fine way to waste an afternoon. [7]

Alien Covenant - Liked it. Better than Alien 3 but worse than Aliens and better than Prometheus (although I liked that) [6]

The Meg - it’s Jason Statham fighting a massive shark. Loved it! [8]

Mission Impossible Fallout - I love the MI series and this is the best one by far. Incredible action scenes and Tom Cruise doing Maximum Cruise (to borrow a Gman phrase) [10]
    3DS friend code - 4725-7938-9169
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Spider man into the spider verse - 4 stars
    The favourite - 5 stars
    Bandersnatch - 1 1/2 stars
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Spider man into the spider verse - 4 stars
    The favourite - 5 stars
    Bandersnatch - 1 1/2 stars

So The Favourite is your favourite on this list?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'ma gonna stick with what i've done in previous years and shove it in the 52 games thread cos I can't cope with multiple threads
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Predator - Tribute, parody or serious movie, misses every mark, straddles wrong divides [5]
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 5/10? I’d still watch a 5.
    I quite enjoyed it, wasn’t great but had fun with it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True, as a mindless Cameron/Bay type film it was fine, but it kept trying to be earnest, then dropping the ball. Maybe it's my love of hammer, giallo, and b-movies in general but if you're gonna be bad be proper bad
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yea I didn’t take it as anything more than a silly over the top action movie, a throwback to what a loved about the 80’s and early 90’s.
    It failed of course but at least it had some fun doing it
  • Ended up browsing on Prime tonight and decided to watch Layer Cake, as we hadn't seen it before. So that, surprisingly, is my first film of the year.
  • Good movie is Layer Cake.
  • Good enough, yeah. The beginning felt very dated and I wasn't expecting much, but it was fine once it got going.
  • I'll try this. Tend to watch stuff on and off without really recording it. Just need to remember what I've watched since the turn of the year.

Ready Player One
    Didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would, entertaining though. 7

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Brilliant from start to finish, so many stand out performances. 9

Icarus
    Netflix doping doc, gripping, amazing and revelatory. 9
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • I like the 12 word limit so I'm in.

Bird Box - Enjoyable twist on zombie thrillers, where no-one sees any zombies. 7
    You have minecraft?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Luxury! I've been reviewing three films at a time on Twitter for a few years now which generally leaves between two to four words per review. Admittedly, I could have gone longer after Twitter increased the character limit, but I decided to use it to add IMDb links and star ratings to make the Tweets more visual.
  • Nice idea.

I, Tonya: The best film about a U.S figure skating rivalry since Blades of Glory. 7/10

The Favourite: Darkly funny and slightly unsettling historical oddity, skewering the grotesque machinations of the upper classes in 18th Century England. 8/10

Shin Godzilla: Godzilla is a big nuclear lizard and an even bigger political allegory for post-Fukushima Japan, but dodgy VFX and the fact that most of the action takes place in identical boardrooms leave him looking disappointingly bloated. 5/10

The Post: A fine, if schmalzy, ode to the importance of a free press, that also serves as a workable prequel to All The Presidents' Men. Features some cool shots of printing presses in action. 7/10
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yardie - In it's time, good fun, too much tell not enough show [7]
  • I'm already struggling to remember what stuff was definitely this year, but so far...

The Favourite - Dark, funny, gloriously sweary and anachronistic.  Worth it for the leads alone. (9)

Happy Death Day - Deeply stupid horror version of Groundhog Day. Manages a few good moments. (5)
  • Venom
    Tom Hardy can't save this fun but flawed my-first action horror.
    [6]
  • My list will go here:
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Hackers - Jolie fuck yes JL-Miller cumface 4/5

Tremors - The best, around 6/5

The Favourite -  Cunt cunt filth cunt ACTING 5/5

Predator - Homoerotic fabulousness 5/5

Aterrados - Foreign paranormal okayness 3/5

Contact - Arrival before arrival 4/5

The General - Brendan Gleeson sepia shitshow 2/5
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!