Things that make you go oooooooo aka These are a few of my favourite things
  • Also, the last minute panic as inspiration. The time is worse, but there's less of it (paraphrased).

I know this is hogging the thread now, but something about C&H just encapsulates a wonderous philosophy that really makes it worth revisiting - and often.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Jaco wrote:
    News Quiz am best.

And The Unbelievable Truth.

Just a Minute is my fave, closely followed by I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

In general though that slot on Radio 4 is always great. Fuck the Archers though. Fucking dreck, it's like Eastenders but somehow even more depressing, quite the feat considering they don't have to show you pictures of depressing inner city locales.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The Archers is garbage. Garbage wrapped in poo and doused in vomit. Warm, lumpy vomit.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • On radio, I have recently found the stress-relieving value of ABC Classic FM. Usual suspects of various renditions of Strauss, Bach and others who I cant remember their names but are probably popular. They also play some TV/game/film compositions.

One artist they play routinely is a lady by the name of Elena Kats-Chernin.

This one song in particular is a nice one to listen.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I wish more of the R4 comedy stuff was available as podcasts. I get the Friday Night Comedy podcast which gives me the News Quiz (which is great) and Dead Ringers (which is immediately deleted), but it never seems to provide anything else.
  • I thought that’s what the BBC Sounds app was for? (Disclaimer: I haven’t looked at it myself, just going by the adverts.)
  • I don't think I've ever knowingly listened to Radio 4. Or Radio 3. They don't even seem to crop up when scanning through the tuning on a radio.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I wish more of the R4 comedy stuff was available as podcasts. I get the Friday Night Comedy podcast which gives me the News Quiz (which is great) and Dead Ringers (which is immediately deleted), but it never seems to provide anything else.

You can get pretty much everything you want here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035p2h8
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Huge Calvin & Hobbes fan. I used to make my own t-shirts years ago as there weren't any official ones.
  • Yeah, Watterson's stand on Merchandising is impressive, especially considering the pressure exerted on him by his publishers and the potential gains. I read one estimate (based on the value of Garfield and Peanuts merch) that said he basically waved away $100 million on principle. I think that's deeply admirable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He must still be making plenty from it anyway. It continues to be madly popular.
  • Kow wrote:
    He must still be making plenty from it anyway. It continues to be madly popular.

He makes a reasonable amount I guess. Comic strip publishing is nowhere near what it was in the 90s though. Apparently he's basically a hermit now – lives out near the desert somewhere and spends his time painting landscapes.

Sounds lovely.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wouldn't even appear in that documentary they made about him. Fair play.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

You can get pretty much everything you want here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035p2h8

I prefer podcasts as I can listen to them in my own time. I don’t listen to radio regularly enough to find time to stream it while they’re still available
  • With you on chopping wood Jaco. Adding logs to a fire is always pleasant too. I used to do it a lot more, bit cheeky for a smoke free zone, but I only have a log fire a couple of times a year now. Actually, I'll add other people having a log fire - when you can smell there's one on the go walking down the street.
  • The emissions rules are about to get made even stricter in built-up areas, making domestic wood fires rarer. It’s a smell I’ll miss.

(We’re already not permitted wood-burners where I live, and that’s before the new regs come in.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I catch the comedy shows on R4 quite often when I get home from work. Always enjoyable no matter what it is. Nicholas Parsons must be ancient yet still has the razor wit. I was lucky enough to see him as the narrator in a production of The Rocky Horror Show.

Used to saw and chop wood when I was a kid. My dad eased our energy costs by going into a nearby wood and cutting up fallen trees. I liked chopping the logs he produced up into sticks for lighting the fire.  No open fire now but we do have a log burner out the back which is used occasionally on a Summer night.  Nothing like a log fire - inside or out. I imagine our forefathers sitting in front of a wood fire, a full belly and some potable in hand with a dog at his feet and the harsh world probably felt good for a while.

The Calvin & Hobbes talk has got me thinking about the mega collection I spied in my local Forbidden Planet for £80.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This Calvin and Hobbes chat has inspired me to buy a book of it. Always liked the look of it but seen very little of it over the years - the comic strips I mainly recall seeing as a youngster were Hagar the Horrible and Beau Beep!
    The complete collection is on amazon, £45 for paperback, though I've started smaller than that...hopefully the kids will enjoy it so I can use that as an excuse to buy more! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I’m one of the few who doesn’t revere Calvin & Hobbes. I’ll never say that anyone is wrong for adoring it – I can see why it’s so beloved – but it doesn’t do it for me.
  • No offence, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you must be dead inside.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The newspaper style comic strip was never something I admired. Peanuts had its moments but went on for too long. The British stuff was trash - George & Lynn, Perishers, Axa, Hagar, Andy Capp etc - as funny as piles. C&H stood out because it had heart.

I liked the Far Side too but it suffers from over exposure and copycats. I work in IT so Dilbert raises a smile but I'm not sure if its appeal would be universal.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My dad always used to cut out Peanuts and Wizard of ID, not sure where the latter ranks but he loved it.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m one of the few who doesn’t revere Calvin & Hobbes. I’ll never say that anyone is wrong for adoring it – I can see why it’s so beloved – but it doesn’t do it for me.

I dont get it either.
  • +1 Dilbert.  Superb commentary on the absurd awfulness of office-based politics and management double-speak.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve never even read a C&H.
    Get schwifty.
  • One does not simply read C&H, it reads you.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    +1 Dilbert.  Superb commentary on the absurd awfulness of office-based politics and management double-speak.

Yes. Absolutely. I get Dilbert goodness delivered to my inbox every day.
  • Ain't the creator problematic these days? Not saying that means avoiding the work by default, but it colours my opinion.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve never even read a C&H.

You can read and download them all here. But I heartily recommend the books. The experience of reading them from the printed page and really being able to examine the artwork really adds to it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Ain't the creator problematic these days? Not saying that means avoiding the work by default, but it colours my opinion.

Yep. Google Scott Adams.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!