The QI thread of things you found reasonably arresting, mildly intriguing, & yes, quite interesting.
  • Here we go. Ah the memories, or lack of.

hash-3.jpg
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have never taken any sort of thing like that. Being a non-smoker is a consequence of that.

However Wifey and I sample space cake whilst in Amsterdam and it was quite an experience. Glad I did it but not something I'd like to repeat.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK wrote:
    Have never taken any sort of thing like that. Being a non-smoker is a consequence of that. However Wifey and I sample space cake whilst in Amsterdam and it was quite an experience. Glad I did it but not something I'd like to repeat.

I get why eating space cake is the go-to for non-smokers, but it's a bad idea imo as you don't control your dosage and it's a delayed effect. Smoking hits you pretty instantly, so you can have a pull or two and be all, 'nope, that's me done!'. Eating it, in my experience, always gives the tendency to eat more to make sure you get a dose, not realising that you do have a massive dose being digested, and that shit's going to hit you like a train.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Eating it makes it last for ages too, sometimes into the next day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Have never taken any sort of thing like that. Being a non-smoker is a consequence of that. However Wifey and I sample space cake whilst in Amsterdam and it was quite an experience. Glad I did it but not something I'd like to repeat.
    I get why eating space cake is the go-to for non-smokers, but it's a bad idea imo as you don't control your dosage and it's a delayed effect. Smoking hits you pretty instantly, so you can have a pull or two and be all, 'nope, that's me done!'. Eating it, in my experience, always gives the tendency to eat more to make sure you get a dose, not realising that you do have a massive dose being digested, and that shit's going to hit you like a train.

That's it. - We ate a piece each. I learned later that some friends had 1 piece between four of them.

The fast feedback loop of smoking gives you more control,. Once we had ingested it we had to ride it out - took quite a few hours. Was great when it was kicking in but it became overwhelming.

The circumstances weren't ideal either. We were part of a crowd over for a wedding. The day before the wedding we took it. We had to meet up with the party to get on a coach which was taking us to a barbecue.

After eating the cake we went back to our hotel. Napped for an hour and then woke up in Yellow Submarine land.

The corridors in the hotel warped and we thought we were walking on a trampoline. It took us several attempts to leave the lift in the lobby as we wanted to leave without staff seeing us. I haven't laughed as much in a long time. My face was sore.

I have no idea how we met up with our party and got on that coach. I can remember walking down the street and everyone's face turned into someone I knew and I thought I was back in Belfast. Wifey wouldn't let go of my hand as she thought she would float away.

It had worn off by the time we got to the barbecue but we totally zoned out on the bus for a while according to my friends.

I came out of it a bit before Wifey - prob due to my size. There were no after effects. Had a good old time at the barbecue.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like a good time TBH.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The loss of control was a bit scary. No worse than an alcoholic blackout I suppose.

If we had done it in better circumstances in company and not having anywhere to go it would have been better.
  • @Yoss You have a weird definition of “good time”.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As do you if laughing until your face is sore doesn’t count.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve just discovered that vanilla extract contains a higher ABV than most spirits.
  • I like everything about hash but I've been done with weed for years now, unless I'm on a stag do or something that counts as a 'special occasion'.  Listening to music through headphones while snoozing myself to full sleep after a late night doobs is something I could put in Davy's things that make you go oooo thread.  I might only get three tracks into an album, but oh boy those tracks hit the spot.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's nothing quite like listening to music you enjoy while stoned. One of life's great pleasures.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I could put in Davy's things that make you go duuuuude thread.

FTFY ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I take umbrage at the insinuation that I have ever addressed another human being as a dude (or dudette, for that matter).  I'm the habitual 'mate' guy, unfortunately.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah but "dude" has an "oooo" sound in it. Joke don't work with "maaaate". Innit.
  • Things that make you go mooooot
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Things that make you go mooooot

I have that single on CD.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    From the QI twitter feed again:
    The film Tron (1982) was not considered for a Best Visual Effects Oscar because the Academy at the time believed that using computers was cheating.
  • My favourite CG factoid is that the glider computer screens in Escape from New York were done with models, neon tape and blacklight, because CG was too expensive.

https://www.vimeo.com/22393980
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Awesome. Now I want to watch EFNY again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    My favourite CG factoid is that the glider computer screens in Escape from New York were done with models, neon tape and blacklight, because CG was too expensive.

https://www.vimeo.com/22393980

Not quite CG, but the opening text crawl from Star Wars was printed onto a pane of glass which a camera panned over.

Disclaimer: I’ve just dragged this fact up from my memory and I wouldn’t swear to it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The cityscape from the blade runner introduction scene was actually a model, built with lights inside, and not CGI (except for the flames and flying cars)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Not quite CG, but the opening text crawl from Star Wars was printed onto a pane of glass which a camera panned over. Disclaimer: I’ve just dragged this fact up from my memory and I wouldn’t swear to it.

I can see this being right. I've seen the making of stuff for the original films, and they achieved all the space combat stuff with stationary ship models and cameras on (then) hyper mobile rigs.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    ... they achieved all the space combat stuff with stationary ship models and cameras on (then) hyper mobile rigs.
    IIRC Go-Motion is an old Harryhausen trick, first seen on the saber tooth tiger in the Sinbad film - move the puppet (or table, or camera in reverse direction) while the shutter is open so that it actually captures motion blur and the puppets sit better with the BG plate and live actors. Tippett et al took it to a super clean production level by computerising it so every shot was 100% reproducible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I think the major invention for Star Wars was the gimble the cameras were mounted on, rather than the trick of keeping the subject still and moving the camera to produce the illusion of movement. Still, interesting though. Don't think I've seen Sinbad.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I think the major invention for Star Wars was the gimble the cameras were mounted on, rather than the trick of keeping the subject still and moving the camera to produce the illusion of movement. Still, interesting though. Don't think I've seen Sinbad.
    The camera was also the first computer controlled one, I think. 
    Set a path and let it go.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    The camera was also the first computer controlled one, I think.  Set a path and let it go.

It was. And the fact that any movement was repeatable to high accuracy was key to shot construction.
  • Talking of CGI in films...

There are only 14 minutes of dinosaur visual effects in Jurassic Park, about four of which were made with a computer. All together, Williams says it took about a year to bring the dinosaurs to life.

‘Basically May of '92 to May of '93 was the entire build and composite time for probably 40 shots’, said Williams.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!