Licensed to Thrill
‹ Previous12
  • Back when I was a lad, you couldn't move for Licensed games.   Batman, Robocop, The Untouchables, Cobra, er... Howard the Duck.  And it wasn't just films that were converted into videogames.  There was a heavier tendency for comics & cartoons to be translated into pixels too.  Thundercats, Nemesis the Warlock, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, er....SuperTed: The Search for Spot.   Back then, if your game didn't have the license to back it up, then it was nothing. (unless it was a coin-op or something extraordinary like what Hewson used to pump out)

Of course most of these licensed games were shit.  But they did try to do something that you don't see nowadays - attempt to recreate scenes from the actual movie, using 128k of RAM.    Christ, there was a bit in The Untouchables - the videogame where you controlled a pram, in that shoot-out scene from the film that originally had a pram bit in it!

But I look at the game charts today, and all I see is a Spiderman game.  Which (as good as its rumoured to be) is not even bothered about faithfully recreating those big screen moments on the small screen.  Where have all the licensed games gone?  In an age where superhero movies are everywhere, where all the superhero videogames?    We're constantly told that the videogame market outstrips the movie business these days, so where's my Venom movie tie-in game?

Is it because videogame makers have become more confident in creating their own characters?  Now we have a Kratos, a Kassandra, and a er...Master Chief, the don't need to rely on recreating a pixelated Stallone anymore?  And maybe developers like R* prefer to just be heavily influenced by Hollywood, and not take on the responsibility of an actual license.

I'm not calling for a return to the days were every other game was based on a film or comic, because licenses back then were often used to sell turds dressed up as videogames.  But, I do find it odd that in an era of wall-to-wall superheroes leaping from the comic pages onto the big screen, they're failing to make that final jump into my console box.   Why is that?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I liked (theoretically) it when games took scenes and gave each a mini game. Unfortunately the majority were shit. The iconic one is clearly terminator 2 (which may also suggest a trend that didn’t exist).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The explanation I’ve heard is that it takes much longer to make a game than it does a film these days so there’s no way to release the game in time to cash in on the film’s success.
  • Yeah the ones that usually do tie in are hastily cobbled together budget releases or *shudder*, mobile games.

I seem to remember Ocean were big on the licensed games back in the day. I would rinse Batman The Movie over and over on my Amstrad C6128.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Last best tie-in game? Plot must follow the movie..

Uhhh... Batman Begins wasn't all that terrible. Um. I'm out.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The explanation I’ve heard is that it takes much longer to make a game than it does a film these days so there’s no way to release the game in time to cash in on the film’s success.
    There's quite a lot more of this stuff on iOS I think, which would suggest this is right. As the games are smaller and quicker to do. There's Marvel Super Hero Time or some such bollocks that just keeps rolling on and adding more characters in as they come into the movies. The old scene of spamming out something quick smart and sticking a licence on it is alive and well. Just not on consoles.

The long lead up time to developing eg Batman Arkham 1 means devs want a lot of that investment paid back by using the same tech for sequels. If you might not even get a sequel because the tie in movie flops, that's more risky.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    But I look at the game charts today, and all I see is a Spiderman game.  Which (as good as its rumoured to be) is not even bothered about faithfully recreating those big screen moments on the small screen. 

Why would it? It's nothing to do with the films.
  • Ok, production times do seem a valid excuse.  But what happened to those visionaries  like James Cameron who promised the next wave of Avatar games would spawn direct videogame spin-offs, presumably because film and game had been part of a co-production process?

If they can build Lego sets and get them in the shops in time for film releases, why can't they do the same for games?   Videogames are a  baffling omission from a films merchandising revenue stream.  Bring devs on board as the film storyboards are being sketched.  

We don't get any successful films based on videogames.  But the fact that we don't get any games based on films anymore is even more perplexing.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I always avoided licenced games even back when I was a teenager. My assumption was they were lazy formulaic crap. I was right the vast majority of the time of course.  I believed (still do) that anyone taken in by a licence thinking a game based upon it would be great deserved to have their money taken from them.

I still inwardly groan when a mouth breathing kid points at the box of a licenced game in a shop.

<elitist arsehole mode disengaged>

I think the first one I played was Ninja Turtles for NES which was rather good if cripplingly tough.

I like the Marvel vs fighting games too but don't play them a lot.

Apart from that I can't think of any other licenced game I've spent any time with.

EDIT: Lego Star Wars games are very entertaining.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From my understanding, the average time it takes to make a film from the time that it has been greenlit and funding secured is about a year, games are looking at four or five times that. Even attempting a co-production essentially hands all of the major decision-making power over to the game makers as they will have to have pinned down the look and feel of the game years before it becomes important for the film.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I always avoided licenced games even back when I was a teenager. My assumption was they were lazy formulaic crap. I was right the vast majority of the time of course.  I believed (still do) that anyone taken in by a licence thinking a game based upon it would be great deserved to have their money taken from them.

I still inwardly groan when a mouth breathing kid points at the box of a licenced game in a shop.

<elitist arsehole mode disengaged>

I think the first one I played was Ninja Turtles for NES which was rather good if cripplingly tough.

I like the Marvel vs fighting games too but don't play them a lot.

Apart from that I can't think of any other licenced game I've spent any time with.

EDIT: Lego Star Wars games are very entertaining.

There were some fun enough licensed run and gunners back in the 80s and 90s, yer Batmen, Robocops, Terminators and Aliens.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spy vs Spy 1 & 2 were the most fun I had on the old home computers. I guess you wouldn't see a license like that anymore. I don't think I'd ever even read the comic strip either but the game was amazing. It came in the all important enormous box as well.
  • Robocop arcade shall always be the king of the licensed games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spy v Spy was excellent although it was years before I realised it was licensed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Disney had a very solid run of licensed platformers back in the 90s too.
  • The Favourite - the videogame.  You have to search a faithful virtual reconstruction of Hatfield House for Queen Anne's missing 17 rabbits.  Collect all the rabbits and you unlock a mini game where you have to finger Olivia Colman.
  • There was a tie in game for Avengers in development but THQ fucked it.
    Know a guy that was working on it and it sounded pretty interesting, very similar to the Lego games but with realistic graphics.

Actually the Lego games are modern examples that tie in to the movies.
  • All the films DS likes: The Video Game
  • If you’re a idiot kid like I was / still am, then a bad or mediocre game with a licence you’re really into, can still be pretty fun. Your imagination does a lot of the work. That NES Turtles game was impossible but I still enjoyed it. Ditto for some of the various simpsons and wrestling cash ins.

FIFA was the poor man’s Pro for years but always outsold it (iirc)
  • I used to be a fan of the licensed games. Yes, they were a bit shonky, but there was fun to be had in the differing play-styles on offer in one package. The James Bond games on PlayStation offered driving and shooting in one game, before we would get the 3D GTAs and The Getaway in the PS2 era.

My hankering for them persisted. My 360 catalogue includes Tin Tin, Avatar, and Blood Stone. None of them are great.

I would argue, though, that Blood Stone was a step in the right direction, towards where we are now, with the likes of Spider-man. No, it doesn’t recreate any particular film moments, but I think it’s right for games to stop directly mimicking films. Games like Batman: The Movie, The Untouchables or Terminator 2 did a great job of picking out moments that they could base levels on, and follow the story with a sentence or two, but were better when they were allowed more room to play. I’d argue that Spider-man, Star Wars Battlefront or Shadow of Mordor work by slotting cinematic moments that would fit in one of the films into the gameplay, rather than the other way around.

I’m pretty sure, from the odd occasions I’ve passed the shelves, that the 3DS library is awash with licensed software. Not necessarily movie tie-ins, but I think kids TV is well represented.

And that’s possibly the problem; it’s largely seen as ‘for the kids’. Either that, or it’s a dull-as-dishwater identikit Telltale game, which I would argue have done more harm than good to the perception of what licensed games are going to be like.
  • Lego kind of tied up the movie tie-in stuff for a while. Lego Movie, Marvel, Star Wars...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Alien Trilogy I think was the last half decent game that strictly followed films, maybe Die Hard as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Andy wrote:
    it’s largely seen as ‘for the kids’.

THQ's fault again there.
  • I wonder if access to the actual movies at home makes tie ins more redundant.

Back in the day a VHS could cost as much as a game and wouldn't be out for ages. The game offered an extension of the cinema experience and normally was available while the film was still on at the cinema.
  • I think there’s one big factor that hasn’t been mentioned yet. Game publishers/devs want to own their own IP. It’s way more valuable than the actual game or movie, if you have a hit. Every business has it drummed into them nowadays – own your IP of you want any profit. If Sony can make Kratos as valuable a character as Spider-Man, why would they pay for Spidey? They’d be ones getting paid for Kratos to appear in a movie.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    That NES Turtles game was impossible but I still enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it to the point where I could to the last level without losing a life. There was a narrow tunnel section I could never get past and it was only when I watched a playthrough that I saw how close I was to the final boss.

The tunnel had a seemingly endless parade of regenerating floating enemies with lasers that were ridiculously overpowered but it seems their lasers could be avoided by ducking!!!!! Who'd have thought it ?(not me).

I remember reading that there was a very good Thundercats game for the 8bits.

Alien 3 on SNES is highly regarded but again - never played it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember having The Young Ones on the spectrum before ever having seen the tv show. The game didn't make much sense to me.

It was another enormous box game, which was the sign of quality in those days.
  • 146227-eastenders-zx-spectrum-screenshot-albert-square-is-the-hub.png

Better than the real thing. Like watching an episode on acid.

• Feel like the biggest videogame IPs in 201X out-coin anything cribbed from other mediums. Which just means they're slightly differently shite.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup - hence the repeated failure at trying to go the opposite way. Has there been any videogame-to-film translation of any merit?  Maybe Mortal Kombat? Haven't seen it mind.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!