Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Well that's them getting added to my Spotify. Good stuff.
  • Useless info alert

This is the album I own:

220px-Katzenjammer_Le_Pop.jpg

...but I have no recollection of how I ended up with it, or even if I liked it really.  

Just looking up the definition(s) of Katzenjammer (cat's wail, discordant sound, confusion; uproar, a severe hangover headache) .  Great band name.  I'm going in.
  • Roujin's clearly more street level than me, the trumpet on the second track reminds me of the (banging) Kissyfur theme tune rather than Kano.
  • They're good.  Lady Grey is probably my favourite of those, but I'd be wanting a bit of A Bar in Amersdam at a show.  The ramshackle Gogol Bordello (on less acid) approach is perfect for gig goodtimes.  Definitely hearing the Dresden Dolls too, good shout, but the soundalike seems to shift from track to track.  Did Le Pop this morning too, so I'll chuck this in as it got the toes tapping:

This one sounds like Anais Mitchell (on acid).
  • Fun fact when you get on to album two, A Kiss Before You Go: Dweezil Zappa plays guitar on Gypsy Flee, near the end of the record.

Also, the album (and especially the artwork) is inspired by The City of Lost Children. The girls said at the time that it was ‘loosely’ a concept album.
  • ghah, 2 out of 3 vids not working, but the first was good enough to have me listening to a full album now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Did A Kiss Before You Go earlier. Plenty of fun. I've picked a couple out that I'll be listening to now and then, wouldn't be against the idea of seeing them live either. Decent stuff, I'm not head over heels for them but the enthusiasm is infectious and I'm quite taken with how much they all seem to dig what they do.
  • So my go again.

Proving tough to come up with names that aren't obvious and/or that I heard of through here, so redundant.

With all of that in mind, I thought I'd go with Sananda Maitreya.

Who, you say? Well, it's not that obscure, because in true poor man's prince styles, it's actually just Terence Trent D'Arby.

The gist of his story should be well known. Massive first album, ego the size of earth. Second album was weird, with no singles. Dodge production, dodge songs, and inaccessable. 

Minor comeback with third album - his best, on balance, IMO. And then his last major label jobbie didn't do so well, even though it was pretty great.

Anyhoo, dude has basically one of my absolute favourite voices ever. Whatever list thread about vocalists you want to throw at me, I have him in top tier. (Freddie probably number one, but wow it's close, and there's some stuff TTD does that continues to blow me away that no one else comes close to.)

And talking about the voice is what you have to do, because the songs and lyrics are WILDLY erratic in quality. 

He's continued to churn out stuff, and continues to do so. Releasing it all himself online etc, and these days, its all just up on youtube etc.

He's been prolific in a very Prince kinda way, and like prince there's some massive filler in there. Blues based blah, with dodge production in true 90s artists style. 

However, there's an absolute bunch of amazing tracks in there, and he's continued to pump out live vids as well, and his voice is still IMPECCABLE.

When the songs and lyrics even rise to pretty good, then his voice will take it over the edge. And when the song/lyrics are top notch, it's over.

Will add 3 tracks from different eras, all live. 

(Beatles cover)

(Holding on to you, Live. From 4th album.)

great example of his pretentious but somehow it works lyrics. Plenty of examples of it not working. When he rides in the soul lane, oh my.

Change of plan. Not live. From 5th album, first self pub. 

Also, wow, name change is pretty special. Out Deepak Chopra's Deepak Chopra, it seems.
  • Which album should I do Face?  I've got the reins for the audio splitter album club at work today, might as well do one of his.  Hopefully you're around in the next 25 minutes or so otherwise I'll have to go random...
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Anyone else getting a playback error on those videos?
  • Had a tinker. Should be working now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • @moot, third and first.
  • Halfway through Symphony or Damn.  It's very much not my sort of thing. Will persevere.  Fun fact: Somewhere along the line, having paid next to no attention, I'd managed to sort of confuse him with Adam Ant, Edward Tudor-Pole and Richard O'Brien.  Got them all open in tabs now.  Fuck knows why those four were overlapping in the same section of my brain.  Must have something to do with The Crystal Maze. 

*Door lock sound, everyone backs away*
  • It's quite varied though.  He sounds like a cross between John Cougar Mellencamp and Bob Seger on this track, which isn't how it started off at all.
  • We've had a fake fade out to go with the alternating left/right audio trick from earlier. #Production :)
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Had a tinker. Should be working now.

Nice one, G.
  • Listening to TITS now.  It's the versatile vocals showpiece, he's got a great smooth/sandpaper thing going on when he croons. It's wasted on many of these so far, imo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's quite varied though.  He sounds like a cross between John Cougar Mellencamp and Bob Seger on this track, which isn't how it started off at all.

It's aged badly in a lot of respects.

A lot of the choices in programmed drums and keys sounds are of the time and probably won't come around again (although who knows).

Do you love me like you say you do is much better live.

The variety is definitely a strength though.

Being raised on Queen I always like genre jumping.

Agree re soul/ballad. See my choice of 3. However, I do like full gravel as well.
  • I've done the three linked tracks now.

Earnest Beatles is fine, hard not to like to an extent. Crazy to think it's probably not in my top twenty Beatles tracks, but there it is being all awesome in any form. Give me the original for sure, but it's a decent enough effort.

Holding On to You. Must admit I'm a bit pissed. Not convinced I'd usually be into this but two or three sheets to the wind I was absolutely in the mood for it just now. Quality stuff if that's your bag. He's up for it in this one. Of course the band comes in big at the end, well played.

What Shall I Do. Not keen on this one. He really has got a terrific voice though. If he just had a touch more rasp to it I think I'd listen to a few more. It's smooth as silk, but you can still hear Madge Bishop on the spinning jenny. It's versatile as anyone's that I'd care to mention, but the songs are mostly not for me.

• I've been trying to think of the voice it reminds me of, and it's Anthony Hamilton's. They don't sound that similar, but they've got a mostly buttery delivery with something going on behind the curtain. I'm really concentrating on typing properly but I may be too drunk to explain what I mean properly.
  • Reg up next., I've taken the week after even though I can't decide between three possibilities. Anyone fancy joining the queue?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Heyo. Give me a little bit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So, I think probably most people on here were expecting this to be a Manic Street Preachers explosion, and if I'm being honest, it was going to be. Then an a band that I have liked for almost two decades released a new album two weeks ago, and I thought - they would be good, particularly as most people on here who will know them will probably only know one album and I'd like to demonstrate some of their other stuff. Unfortunately their new album isn't quite up there with their best, but hey ho.
    In addition, since last year's Scottish Music History BBC 3 part documentary, and the follow up exhibition at the National Museum that was so good I went to twice, I have been on a little bit of a Scottish music kick at the moment. 

Therefore, folks, I present to you this week, Idlewild.

Screen-Shot-2015-10-29-at-4-49-03-PM.jpg

So, let's start with where you'll know them. If you watched Sky Sports anywhere from 2003-2007 you'll recognise one of their most famous songs, "You Held The World In Your Arms" from their 2001 album 'The Remote Part'

And this was very much the album that propelled them, albeit briefly, to fame - by the end of their next album, and the more folk-y bent they were taking, the light here was extinguished. We'll start with "You Held" however, as it is a good hinge point to look both forward and backward. 
    Let's start with backwards, then move back into 'The Remote Part' and then forwards. 
    So, the middle 8  of "You Held" with the odd guitar squeak at around 2:34 hints at a bit more of a messy history, and that's very much where they came from. The prechorus of "more like an exception of consideration" also is more akin to their previous playfulness with their words - I'm not going to ever say they're at poet / hip hop status, but a key part of Idlewild lyrics is revisiting/reworking/resounding their old lyrics. 
    So let's jump back to the (very messy) start.

So Idlewild formed in Edinburgh in 1995 - but lead singer Roddy Woomble (yes, that's his name) is from Fifeshire. 
    I'm going to skip their first couple of singles, and jump to "A Film For The Future", which is very much channeling post-Nirvana vibes. Note, particularly, that initially Woomble was singing in an American accent - something I'd reckon most Scottish people have done at some point. 

Anyway, it's a banging 3:31 of music, but also quite derivative of American music released 7+ years before hand. This was from their debut EP 'Captain', which, I'll be honest, in 1998, I was far too young to be aware of. In fact, their first album passed me by entirely following this, and it was only on their second that I was interested. 'Film' is very much a snapshot of young Scottish musicians making noise in the era that others like Mogwai were doing so too. 

Later in 1998, Idlewild released "Hope Is Important", their first full length album. It's very much personified by the lead two singles, one of which I far prefer more than the other. The American accent is still there, but starting to fade. So, the one I really enjoy, and still do, and if you go to the right places (surely the Regstock Catty gang heard it) you'll still get is 'When I Argue I See Shapes'

There's a little more inventiveness going on here, and certainly more of a shift into pop. After the 2:45 mark, there's also an introduction to their trope of running lyrics over each other. Certainly, as a counterpoint to 'Captain', it's far better produced and more melodic. And so onto 'I'm A Message', which is even closer to where they'll go, but not quite as fun as 'Shapes'.

The chorus is catchy as fuck, to be sure, and again, there's the overlaid singing. It's good, but 'Shapes' goes in far more interesting directions for me. What's interesting about both songs to me, however, and something I've enjoyed in other bands such as Pavement, is the guitarist just inserting a differing melody over the verse, just to keep it going. 
    From that first album, I'd also recommend 'Everyone Says You're So Fragile' and 'Close The Door' - the former is certainly a little bit of  noise enjoyment, but we'll get onto that in the next album. 

Next post - "100 Broken Windows", and catching up to "The Remote Part".
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Up next we move onto where I first met the band. One of the last things I saw before I moved to America was the opening of the Scottish Parliament, which they played at. I didn't know anything about them, and was not particularly enamoured with them. They recorded with Dave Eringa (hello, fellow Manics fans) following that and this gave birth to a slightly more tight production than their previous output. This was "100 Broken Windows".

I need to preface this by saying that "Windows" is in my top 5 albums of all time and is an album that I will listen to from start to finish at any opportunity. Indeed, as I right this, I am on 'Roseability' - but I digress. 

Following that Parliament Gig, It was Christmas 2000 and I was living in Salt Lake City. It was cold, it was snowy, it was shoveling a foot of snow every morning to get to school. It was, probably a 4 Yorkshiremen sketch. 
    My best friend in Scotland send me a Christmas present that didn't arrive until January, and it contained "100 Broken Windows". I still have the note he sent with it inside the CD case. It says "Cheer up ya wank here's some good tunes, love XXXXX"
    So, "100 Broken Windows" is an album tied to 15 year old Reg, and that's a powerful link. What follows could have been a track by track, but I'm going to try and limit it to as few as I can. 
    There was a connection made in the music press with this album to R.E.M. another band I do enjoy a lot - I can't quite see it myself, explicitly, but I'd be interested if anyone else does. 
    I sometimes think of this album as a Winter album due to the time of year I received it, and the warmth of some of the later tracks, but it also works well blasting out of your car in the Summer. 

So, let's go.

I'm going to skip the opener and move on to "I Don't Have The Map" because it's a good bridge between first and second albums. "Map" is a noise track by them, but there's a couple of important things to notice - the lyrics and the singing have both become more Scottish focused - more about 'islanders' and Woomble's twang is clearly apparent.

I adore this song, because it's one of the few times Woomble fucking goes for it at the end, and it's a banging second track, especially with the sudden switch off at the end. 

The next track, 'These Wooden Ideas' is one of my first real loves. It was hearing the organ in the pre-chorus that did it for me, which then carries into the chorus, with a huge guitar swell. It's fantastic. I also don't understand the lyrics 'This Wooden Idea is a method of repetition / This Wooden Idea is how you sell reduction' - so that's cool too.

YOU'RE POST MODERN!

I can't not mention 'Roseability' which I would credit with my push into English Literature studies (no fucking joke) as I had to look up who Gertrude Stein was after this, then fully impressed my Sophomore year High School teacher with knowledge of her work. At this point in their Idlewild, it's easy to see the push into pop music that would preface their work with Stephen Street on the next album.

I still appreciate the suitably vague lyrics in the era of Malkus at el, however.

So I'm gonna be scummy and put two together here. Let's start with 'Let Me Sleep Next To The Mirror'

The chorus of this, with the descending notes, is incredible. Again, it's about writing and literature, and this all fed into a young H brain. 

For some reason I put it with 'Actually It's Darkness', which is a heavier track, but they have the same sound in my head.

I do prefer the chorus of Darkness far more than 'Mirror', but again, both are really starting to push into a pop sound. At this time, Idlewild were touring with the Manic Street Preachers (on their This is My Truth tour) and then Ash (on their Free All Angels tour) so that sort of fits with the sound. What's good about 'Darkness' is the middle 8 where the piano kicks in, and that sort of hints about where they go next. 

Leading to... Fuck. I'm going to pick only one of the last two tracks, but listen to both. 

So I have chosen 'Bronze Medal' as it fits with the journey of where we go next, but ALSO listen to 'Quiet Crown'!

A huge direction from the rest of the album, bringing in piano, and really setting the tone for where they were going to go next. Perhaps too far, but this is a really nice middle point. Also, the lyrics, again. Throw the television on the fire. 

On to "The Remote Part"

So, above mentioned 'You Held' was released. The band had moved up further into the Highlands, and this was more and more apparent in their lyrics, and, importantly the final track of their album, which may still be their magnus opus. 

Following 'You Held', Radio 1 put it on constant spin - I remember this as I was over in the UK visiting my sister, who was at university in St Andrews, and my mum kept complaining as we drove that it was either Idlewild or Oasis ('The Hindu Times') on the radio. 

So, given their new status, and with the resurgance of U2 around this time ('Elevation', 'Beautiful Day'), Idlewild joined the cohort of bands who did a huge old epic. Thus, 'American English'

Call me a big old softy, but this song still sits in my heart, and as person living in America who was not American (but also not English!!!) as a foolish 17 year old, I thought it was about me. Fucking tit. Anyway, the song still holds up and the chorus is a good un. The shift from "100 Broken Windows" is clear here, but there's some places in "Remote Part" where it's closer. 

They got away with 'A Modern Way of Letting Go' getting released, which would probably have fit in with the Kerrang-isation of the charts (Hello QOTSA) at the same time. It's definitely a holdover from a previous album that's been given a sheen up. I like it.

Two more tracks I want to flag up are not singles. 'Stay The Same' to me, is the closest to an "100 Broken Windows" song, and was on constant repeat with me at the time. Again, it has the Stephen Street sheen, but the chorus again is huge, and their pre-chorus is a little playful. 

It's pretty great, and would have happily sat on "100"

Finally, I want to flag up the final track, and the one that definitely signals the shift to "Warnings/Promises" - 'In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction' - aka my wife's favourite song of all time. 

This really is an incredibly song that signalled a shift in their direction, and their focus in terms of music. The hints of something more folky are there in the initial chorus, and the lyrics become even more Scottish focused. Then there's the bridge

Getting poet Edwin Morgan to not only write, but narrate the bridge of the song is fucking audacious - making it the loudest part of your song, more so. It's incredible, and gives me goosebumps every time. 

This, however, definitely signalled the shift into their mid 00s work, much more folky, and involving Woomble solo work.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Folk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nowadays
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, done first two posts. Will do more later.
  • Hand on heart I was going to guess Idlewild when we did the guessing game. Haven't listened for years and used to love their earlier stuff. Plus my favourite of theirs is in there. Looking forward to this.
  • You’re supposed to pick three songs ya daftie.

But carry on, it’s a fun ride.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    You’re supposed to pick three songs ya daftie.

But carry on, it’s a fun ride.

Didn't realise. Am gonna see it out

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!