Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Three sons, three albums, whatever??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I missed the three track caveat and thought I needed to represent my artist fully
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll stop and not do the last two posts if it helps.
  • No harm in going for it. Call it an Easter special.
  • I'm reminded of a Daniel Kitson bit from a few years ago...

They're just quite good. No more, no less. 

Some catchy stuff, some nice enough ideas, but blurs into meh for me. 

Largely down to vocals too. Dude's fine, I guess, but there's nothing particularly distinctive there. 

He can't hit some monster note, there's nothing in his tone to set him apart. (See Manics for the opposite of that.)

I'll put it down to a genre thing, I'll listen to any old neo-soul looking for hit, and let some average vocals pass searching for that sweet sweet hit. 

If I was more into this particular era/sound I'd equally search and forgive more.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ordinarily I would be outraged at the egregiousness of the rules break here just so Reg could flex his colossal Idlewild knowledge, however Reg's posts are probably going to be a really great break from upacking and Ikea assembly hell next week, so thank u Reg, v v considerate of you to provide me with this amount of C O N T E N T.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Idlewild deep dive morning is go.
  • You Held the World in Your Arms Tonight - A bit overblown and all the better for it.  This really is a quality track.  Not as brash as their earlier stuff, but the shift suited them briefly.  

A Film for the Future - I bought the album this was on (and 100 Broken Windows) after The Remote Part.  Didn't realise it appeared on on an EP first.  Can't remember the name of the record shop in Liverpool Street Station but I got them for £4 each.  This was probably 2003ish.  I was wearing my blue jumper.  Despite the American accent thing Reg mentions this was their best era imo, they were a cracking Nirvana knock-off.  I saw them (well, just then end of their set unfortunately) supporting Pearl Jam at some point in the noughties, which worked for me.  The last minute of this oozes Brit grunge quality.   

When I Argue I See Shapes/I'm a Message - Not as keen on these two as a revisit.  Will dig the MP3 files out at some point (probably 128kpbs WMA actually, F.M.L) and give the album another go.
  • Agree 100 Broken Windows is their best album.  Didn't end up listening earlier so I've just realised Reg has posted pretty much the whole thing, ha.  I'll skip these songs and treat myself to the full album tomorrow.  I dug it out for a bit of lossless wankery a couple of years ago so I've got it in FLAC.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Captain and Hope is Important are both great. Everything after that always struck me as about as landfill as indie gets.
  • When I Argue I See Shapes remains the quintessential Idlewild song for me. That’s always my go-to.

I’m a fan, but for me they’re a greatest hits band – with most of those coming from the 100 Broken Windows / Hope is Important era. I see them live quite often but I wouldn’t buy a new album. I’m in the Roseability video, somewhere.

Saw them last week actually, sort of. Roddy and Rob played a few acoustic songs at a free gig for the new album launch.
  • 100 Broken Windows and The Remote Part done this morning.  In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction is their best track for me, hands down (neck hairs up).  Apologies for going all Scotland by numbers, but Morgan's part cuts through the mist like fuckin' bagpipes.  I love it.  I'm doing My Secret is My Silence now, which was Woomble's first solo album afaik.  It's the only one I bought but I was big into it for a month or so.  It's still great, the folk switch sounds completely natural.  He was good when fronting a grunge-loving garage band with an American accent, but he remembers he's a Woomble on the solo stuff and this is his ultimate form imo.  Got to take umbrage at Yoss' 'landfill indie' comment with regards to The Remote Part - even though it's more polished and radio friendly it's a quality record.  It may well apply to the rest though, I bought the next one (Warnings/Promises) but I don't recognise any of the tracks from their titles, and that's where I stopped.
  • Just scrolled up to see Yoss was also including 100 Broken Windows in his landfill comment.  How very dare you sir.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I stand by it.

:)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, after a brief dalliance in my teens, I consider the vast majority of indie to be landfill. I really turned against the genre.

Pulp are still good, though.
  • Unsure if Reg is seeing it out or stopping at this stage, but I enjoyed parts one and two of the journey.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back at work. Planning on seeing it out tonight / tomorrow. Was game of thronesing and trying to finish Kingdom Hearts past couple of nights.
  • I'm up today, still can't decide from a shortlist.  Reg, we'll pop back for yours when you continue - a few people participate in catch-up form anyway.  Can you post on the current page when you drop the final parts pls. 

So, my week.  Would people prefer a noisy four piece slightly hey-nonny-nonny band from Bedford ('proto Sabbath' is often used to describe their sound; they're a sort of psych heavy-metal Fairport Convention), a burly soft-centred Irish balladeer (hankies at the ready to for happy and sad tears) or a damn solid Canadian radio rock band formed in 1984 with many bangers under their belt?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was going to do our lady peace if that's what you're at
  • Nope, slightly more hip than them...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Home in 10 to do part 3
  • Have decided on the Tragically Hip because I'm big into a track of theirs called Bobcaygeon again.  Will do a post at some point this evening.  The also rans were Wolf People and the beautiful Christy Moore, btw.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, so back on we go. 
    Following the double whammy of 100 Broken Windows and The Remote Part, I was fully into Idlewild. In addition, I was back in Scotland, I was at university, and I was seeing, on average, a gig a week. I felt fully 'muso' (aka an actual wank). 
    I was really excited about what Idlewild's follow up would be, as I had been following them around on The Remote Part tour. In 2004, their website mentioned they were going to be recording songs that had been written in both London and the Highlands. At this point, Idlewild were probably at their peak, commercially. There was the big early 00s boon of guitar bands that some wags have called 'Britpop 2.0' but that doesn't really seem to fit, given the whole aesthetic and politics of 1.0. But you had your Kaisers, Bloc Parties, Blur back, Elbow, and so forth. 
    So, here came the folk direction. It was heralded by a series of acoustic gigs, of which I was lucky enough to see one. Hearing old Captain songs rendered in acoustic was definitely odd, but certainly interesting. 
    And then in 2005, we got "Warnings/Promises"

So, let's start with the side-swipe, the lead single, which does not reflect anything else on the album, "Love Steals Us From Loneliness". Please note Roddy's monstrous hair in the video. It was 05. 

I'm not a fan of this at all, really, as to me it feels like a second rate version of 'You Held the World...' It also doesn't reflect the album at all, and seems not quite to fit, but hey, it gave them another hit. 

Moving on through the album, the next track I'm going to flag up (ignoring the shiteness of "I Want a Warning" is "I Understand It"

It's a sort of cross-point from the old stuff to the new stuff. You can hear the rhythms and chords of old Idlewild, but it's produced as a much more folky song. It's kind of interesting, I guess, but again, not one I love.

Moving to something I really fucking like, here's "As If I Hadn't Slept" a song I used to get through a break-up that was happening at the time. I like it because it is starting to step more into the relaxed form they would have, but the chorus is a banger still in my head. I often sing it in my head when I'm having a bad day. 

There's something about the production that reminds me of the Pixies, but that could just be my insane brain and not true at all. But that's what I think. Anyway, the line "And then you try / to hold my hand / under the table / but it's far too vague to be meaningful" is my favourite in Idlewild existence. 

Right, let's go full on. Here is "Not Just Sometimes But Always"

I'm a sucker for it, but it's not a folk song, it's an attempt at a big one for a shoutout at Glastonbury - not a surprise as they were now opening for U2, REM and The Pixies at gigs. I like it, however, even though it possibly is a little too saccharine. 

This is all skirting around the two best songs on the album, and for my money, top 10 Idlewild songs. 

Let's kick in with 'El Capitan' - the album was recorded in Los Angeles, but this feels like something that a fucking drunk band in Skye would play in an pub on a Friday night, thumping on the table.

For my money, it's their best chorus on this album, and it just doesn't give a fuck. Long let it play out. 

And then there's 'Disconnected', and you'll see the contrast.

I am/was a big fan of Ryan Adams, and the twangs going on here, possibly with a theremin, are enjoyable. This is where Roddy probably wanted to go, but he never quite got up there with choruses, which again here are rather large. 

So, in hindsight, 'Warnings/Promises' is kind of... good now, but not where I thought it was in 05/06.

So before we get to 'Make Another World' and what I would consider the 'modern' Idlewild, we need to talk about 'My Secret Is My Silence', Woomble's solo record. 

During this time, Idlewild also contributed to 'The Ballad of the Book' with Edwin Morgan again. This was a combination of Scottish Artists and Writers, and whilst the Idlewild effort is distinctly... shit, there are some great ones on there, especially Malcolm Middleton and Alan Bissett - check it out, as Steve Brule would say. 

But on to 'Silence'. Woomble wrote this as a solo album and felt he didn't have to do 'the rock' following all the hoopla around 'Warnings'. I'm not really a fan of it, although I've kept the CD upstairs, but wanted to flag up a couple of tracks - folk prevails here. Let's start with the title track, which is probably closest to Idlewild. 

Whatever goes on in my lizard brain, I have a weird aversion to any Scottish Folk, but I do like this song - maybe it's the familiar voice, but it's also fairly close to Idlewild - you could see it as a B-Side to a 'Warnings' song. 

The only other one I'll mention is 'Waverley Steps', named obviously after the journey to Edinburgh's train station.

Again, I guess I like it as it sort of hits some Idlewild notes. Overall, not an album for me, but maybe others may like it. 

This brings us up to the dark period - modern Idlewild. To come.
  • I don't think I gave Warnings/Promises a fair shake as I didn't recognise any of those.  Disconnected is the only one I listened to twice, good stuff.  I think the theremin sound is steel guitar, aka the one true deeps feels multiplier.  And also possibly the reason why I might change my imminent choice at the last minute.  Decisions!

The solo stuff is pretty good.  It's a shame you have a problem of sorts with Scottish folk Reg, but I get the lizard brain weird aversion thing - I've got it with Australian Hip Hop.  Something just says nope, even if I sit down with the full intention of liking it this time.  I Came in From the Mountain is my favourite on this album.  It's the opener, and although it sounds a bit like the sort of thing The Levellers might save to build up to an encore it's doing plenty of good things.  I can't link to it as there isn't a studio version on Youtube, but it's on Spotify.
  • I'm cheating too, not only am I having four tracks, but I'm having four tracks and an intro.  OP updated, feel free to follow suit in the future. 

I'm not going for The Tragically Hip either, despite settling on them yesterday afternoon. 

Eilen Jewell

One of the loveliest ladies I've had the pleasure of seeing live.  Not only is her music mostly top drawer, but she seems genuinely enchanting/adorable.  Like Nick's Manic Pixie Dream but without the mania; think afternoon teaparty with The Moomins in a thousand acre wood.  Just honest to goodness goodness.  Stage persona perhaps, but that's all I've got to go on.  Apparently I've missed one of her albums; I've got Wikipedia open and I didn't realise she dropped a covers only effort in 2017.  Anyway, all her records are worthwhile but only one approaches masterpiece territory.  Queen of the Minor Key from 2011 is close to perfect and would probably sneak into my all-time top ten, so I've exclusively pulled from that for these links.       

The first two come as a package deal, so you'll need to click twice to reduce the gap.  Stay on your toes.  She leads one into the other live, so I'm counting them as one track anyway.

The intro plonks you straight into a smoky Tarantino soundtrack lounge surf jazz scene (is that David Lynch is sitting at the bar?), then makes way for a beautiful miscreant ballad containing such platinum couplets as 'I remember you, I showed you how to kiss/I let you shoot my hats off, because I knew you wouldn't miss'.  What's that I hear you saying? It's practically perfect in every way?  Why yes, she is. 

The band can move too, there's almost always a smattering of rockabilly on her albums.  With that in mind, the double filling of the banger sandwich is next:

You know when you see a band and the crowd are in love with an unheralded bandmember?  I suppose they're not unheralded if the band isn't all that well known, but you get the gist - I didn't realise the guitarist would be the focus of most of the love beforehand.  Jerry Miller, the ridiculously talented lead guitarist, got a huge amount of well deserved whoops and hollers during the gig.  Focus on him for these in particular, he's so fucking legit I bought the solo album he was selling after the show.  

On to the last track, hello country.  Shades of Me & Bobby McGee here, which is no bad thing as if you're going to take influence from a classic you might as well choose the greatest or second greatest song of all time.  

This one has steel guitar all over it on the studio cut, but not here.  I liek the black & white tho.  Oh look - goosebumps. 

Enjoy, she's a great lyricist and they put on an incredibly tight show.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This errs a lot on the right side of what I like. Not folk, but not full on country. I like her voice too. I'd like to dig in.
  • All of it good. Added to collection. Nice.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Oh, I’m into these. Top pick, Moot.

Just the sort of thing I devoured five or six years back, while I was still DJing some rockabilly/retro/whatever clubs.

I love a band (and frontwoman) who make it look so easy, like they don’t even have to try. Effortless grace.

Santa Fe is a bit too woozy for me, a bit too Americana and not enough pep. Queen of the Minor Key has the lyrical chops but is a bit too fast, a bit try-hard. Bet it’s a live favourite though. Now, Warning Signs? Well that’s just damn near perfect and is going on my special playlist.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!