Friday Artist Sampler - Dijon ketchup!!
‹ Previous1234
  • I used to enjoy it when we did Album of the Week, collaborative themed playlists and so on.  There probably wouldn't be enough sustained interest these days to warrant a resurrection of either (I've already tried bumping both at least once apiece iirc, to no avail), but I wonder if this could work.    

Would anyone be interested in a three track weekly sampler, where we'd take turns to write a short piece (or long piece, or paste a piece in, whatever) about an artist you like, of any level of popularity from any genre, accompanied by a three track - no more, no less - Youtube sampler?  If there's interest the order of participants would be listed in the OP, everyone would politely wait their turn (hopefully listening to/commenting on at least some of other people's stuff), and I'd send a reminder to the next in line on a Thursday night, perhaps.  

What say youse?

INS

Facewon - Brother Ali
    Roujin - Cadet
    Poprock - Compulsion
    JonB - Ozomatli
    Moot - Josh Ritter
    Roujin 22/03
    Afgavinstan 29/03
    You have minecraft?
  • Yes
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • First to reply, first to go if you want today?  If not I'll stick you down for next Friday.
    You have minecraft?
  • Mayber. Only really packing bags and visiting Marlow today.
  • I am down for this. But no time to do today's one, sozzzz!
    Don't try and place me in a box, you cocks. If there's one thing I'm not, it's fucking rectangular.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was a song of the day thread that I made years ago. It was good because it finally did for Pranky.
  • Which song was the nail in the coffin?

OP Updated with Facewon and Roujin, dates tbc.
    You have minecraft?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was some shite he chose and was upset that links to Amazon reviews didn't force anyone to like it.
  • [Pranky] wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    You clearly missed the part where we made up our minds. it's rubbish g.man
    I clearly didn't miss much.  A one-eyed dog is still blind... But think what you will...
    g.man wrote:
    ...um...a one eyed dog is not blind Prankster. regards g.man

Gold
  • I like 16 Horsepower.

I am not Pranky.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    [Pranky] wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    You clearly missed the part where we made up our minds. it's rubbish g.man
    I clearly didn't miss much.  A one-eyed dog is still blind... But think what you will...
    g.man wrote:
    ...um...a one eyed dog is not blind Prankster. regards g.man

Gold

If I remember correctly there was a simultaneous big argument on the old Edge forum where Prankhole was making another one of his famous analogies whereby the dinosaurs died out because they were lazy.

• Oh, count me in for this please Moot.

I could even do today’s if you like. I’ve a relatively quiet afternoon at t’office.
  • Pop or Face for today then, whoever posts first wins. Seems fair cos I'm not sure if Face is preparing a megapost or snoozing. Then pop or Face, then Roujin.
    You have minecraft?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Face is on UK time at the moment, so he probably shouldn’t be snoozing. Not for long, anyway.
  • 70 minutes is the sweet spot for me these days.
    You have minecraft?
  • Gonna be min 2 hours before I'm posting. FYI pop.
  • Your shout Face – I’ll gladly leave it to you this week.
  • Have a bit of a list of possibles, but I'm going with Brother Ali. Two albums in a row that are absolute stunners. 

Mourning in America, Dreaming in Colour.

And then All the beauty in this whole life.

Not usually one for woolly language and all the feels, but Ali gets me right there.

Topical, grown folks stuff. All the beauty is uplifting, even when it covers trajedy. 

He's got a great voice, and manages legit tenderness and lightness, but can also do boom bap agro. 

Mourning in America has great production from Jake One. All the Beauty uses Ant. Can't recommend him strongly enough, and I reckon even the Kows and Daveys of the world may even find something to like....

Dear Black Son.

(Bonus of him discussing dear black sun)
    Spoiler:

Out of Here.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hey don't lump me in with Davy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But yeah, I don't like it.
  • Put me down for a go, Moot.
  • Kow wrote:
    Hey don't lump me in with Davy.

Davey or Davy?
    You have minecraft?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Both. What's the difference?
  • Davy doesn't like Hip Hop and Davey likes a band called Ezio. I think.
    You have minecraft?
  • I like Brother Ali but I don't tend to listen to him much these days.  When critics point to his best album it's always Mourning in America (even in the afternoo-noo-noon), but that one didn't really grab me past a couple of stand out tracks.  Us is my go-to, it's a better album imo and Slippin' Away/Babygirl trump anything on Mourning.   His lyrics often seem to be a so much beauty/too much grief juxtaposition, like if the plastic bag in American Beauty floated off and suffocated one of his childhood pals - he usually sounds like he's welling up with the feels one way or another.  It's something that I have to be in a specific mood to listen to, but he is very good when it all comes together, plus he does a lot of storytelling tracks which I'm always on board for.  He's also a solid hired hand for a guest spot and rarely does himself a disservice if you see feat. Brother Ali.  Of the tracks above I think I like Out of Here the most but none of them would hook me into further listening if I'm honest.  One of those artists where I like him and really like some stuff he does in small doses, but never find myself completely on the hook - like a Hip Hop Kurt Vile maybe, I've got a lot of time for him in my head but I rarely show it.  

I'll add this one as it's the narrative track that started me off with Ali.  If Tenderheart Bear had come up hard:

You have minecraft?
  • That was an interesting listen, cheers Face (also Moot for the bonus track)

I'm not much of a music afficionado but I have plenty of time some easy hip hop beats with decent lyrics or storytelling over the top. I deffo hear what Moot was saying about the lyrical content being everything is beautiful - NO! EVERYTHING IS WHACK BOYE, SUPRISE! But I don't mind artists if they wanna go for that imagery if they can do it well, I think at least in this sample Brother Ali does it pretty well, although I will say that parts of Dear Black Son and Out of Here are borderline close to laying it on a bit thick, but shit man, he's feeling some kind of a way let him express himself!

Out of Here really reminded me of a Zack Hemsey track for some reason, although when I went to look for a good comparison I couldn't, just the way the lyrics describe what's happening in Out of Here sound similar to how Zack does his thing, at least to me. If you're sitting down and feeling brave and want to hear the antithesis of Out of Here I sort of recommend Mic Righteous - Pathways, but he's going to be one of my future Friday pics so maybe sit tight on that one.
    Don't try and place me in a box, you cocks. If there's one thing I'm not, it's fucking rectangular.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Davy doesn't like Hip Hop and Davey likes a band called Ezio. I think.

Me?
  • I thought so, but I guess I'm wrong. Someone recommended me an Ezio album ages ago anyway (bought it, tried to like it, didn't).

Also yes to Roujin's borderline laying it on a bit thick thing for BA.
    You have minecraft?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought so, but I guess I'm wrong. Someone recommended me an Ezio album ages ago anyway (bought it, tried to like it, didn't).

Also yes to Roujin's borderline laying it on a bit thick thing for BA.

I love hip hop.
    Never heard of Ezio.

• I meant daveyk. Given semi recent revelation that he didn't get on with rap at all.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!