The No Subject Thread
  • Is she the one on BBC3 that makes Reggie Yates look hard hitting?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yates' Debates.
  • @Tingle That's probably the pitch, but Theroux does tongue in cheek neutrality quite convincingly. And that allows him to get close to his subjects. Dooley takes a moral high line, never drops it, and preaches, incessantly, with a smirk on her face.
    The Guardian were praising her a few weeks back. 
    She's shit.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Yes. I've watched a couple of her shows, they weren't very good.
  • I'm no fan of hers but her documentaries are designed for the BBC3 audience. Target audience late teens, early 20s. They're also used quite a bit in schools as well. Fairly disposable, lacking in biting journalistic analysis but gateway to Theroux type docs.

My biggest gripe with her is her crying.
  • Aye, she's not brilliant at what she does (though I suspect her heart is in the right place), but we're hardly her target audience, and if her work raises awareness of various issues to younger folks then that's probably no bad thing really.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    the problem is that if we lose uber we're back to black cabs.
    Why? What's happened to all the minicab firms?

You have to wait for 
    a) They have availability, it's raining - so they won't for 40 minutes
    b) For it to arrive from wherever it's starting point is which is usually their last job miles away

Compared with uber where there's usually one within 5 minutes. Or a blackcab because it's driven past you and is therefore next to you.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Do no minicab firms in London have a Uber like app? We have one in Preston, and there is usually a cab within 5 minutes.
    Yes. I've watched a couple of her shows, they weren't very good.
    Stopharage wrote:
    I'm no fan of hers but her documentaries are designed for the BBC3 audience. Target audience late teens, early 20s. They're also used quite a bit in schools as well. Fairly disposable, lacking in biting journalistic analysis but gateway to Theroux type docs. My biggest gripe with her is her crying.
    g.man wrote:
    Aye, she's not brilliant at what she does (though I suspect her heart is in the right place), but we're hardly her target audience, and if her work raises awareness of various issues to younger folks then that's probably no bad thing really.
    My biggest gripe is she often has an axe to grind and is therefore working to an agenda other than genuine understanding.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My kids used to watch Show Me What You're Made Of - which is a CBBC show presented by Stacey Dooley.  The idea's a fairly good one - kids get taken to see how the shit they mindlessly consume in the UK is made in sweat shops in the third world - albeit with the inevitable tedious gameshow twist.  (They work in the factories and compete to see who can be the most effective make believe slave.)

My girls used to quite like it, but their one consistent complaint (at the ages of 11 and 9) was "why is the presenter so stupid?"
  • Multiple leagues below Dooley, my favourite 'lacking in bite' 'documentary' was Fearne Cotton Meets Mischa Barton.  Starstruck isn't-she-awesome? Fearne was given the hot & cold treatment by Mischa, and at one point stood up completely, yet appeared truly desperate not to admit to her audience that MB was 'a bit of a C', rather than someone having a hard time at the moment.  The best bit was Barton lashing out in the press afterwards, even though Fearne only accidentally trod on an eggshell once or twice.

I do watch some shit tbh.
  • Who the fuck is Mischa Barton?
  • Mischa Anne Barton is a British-American film, television, and stage actress, and occasional fashion model.
  • Never heard of her. What’s she been in?
  • Christ, if Pops doesn't know her then she really must be a nobody.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've just remembered she is in the OC, as she's mentioned in the MC Lars song This Gigantic Robot Kills where she gets her spine ripped out.

By comparison, a Ferne Cotton interview must be pretty tame.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:

You have to wait for 
    a) They have availability, it's raining - so they won't for 40 minutes
    b) For it to arrive from wherever it's starting point is which is usually their last job miles away

Compared with uber where there's usually one within 5 minutes. Or a blackcab because it's driven past you and is therefore next to you.

Don't you have GETT - which is the black cab app that I believe works in all major UK cities?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gett exists, as does an Addison Lee app, both are pricey compared to Uber, but it’s nice to think the drivers may be able to afford food, heating and shelter. Maybe.
  • All I remember about Barton is public burnout and mental illness.
  • In that case, Fearne was pretty insightful.
  • Brooks wrote:
    All I remember about Barton is public burnout and mental illness.

Joey Barton?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    You have to wait for  a) They have availability, it's raining - so they won't for 40 minutes b) For it to arrive from wherever it's starting point is which is usually their last job miles away Compared with uber where there's usually one within 5 minutes. Or a blackcab because it's driven past you and is therefore next to you.
    Don't you have GETT - which is the black cab app that I believe works in all major UK cities?

I suppose that is an option. Before that it was Dial a Can and Hailo. Both of which let me down numerous times when it actually mattered (had a child/buggy). 

I'm never going to get over the 10-15 years of shit I've had to put up with from black cabs. The arrogance and general shit service + high fares because they had the monopoly. Fuck them all. I've hundreds of experiences where they've just been cunts.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hailo’s now called MyTaxi, FYI.

I’ve heard some positive things about Green Tomatoes too.
  • When you had a couple of sherberts last night and the filth are everywhere. A Police van pulled up outside the house on the way to nursery. I'm following a police car on the way to work. I turn off and go a different way only to see a police car pull up outside the petrol station and wait there while I buy Lucozade.

Just because your paranoid....
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And probably over the limit.
  • And under surveillance for that weird episode with the waitress, her disabled kid and the chess set.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    And under surveillance for that weird episode with the waitress, her disabled kid and the chess set.

Isle of Man innit.
  • Bob is from the Isle of Man?
  • And probably over the limit.

Way over... lol.

@cinty yes I reside on the Isle of Man
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!