GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    And probably over the limit.

Way over... lol.

@cinty yes I reside on the Isle of Man

Drink driving in close proximity to children is fucking hilarious.
  • Well it was more hangover driving
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    When you had a couple of sherberts last night and the filth are everywhere.

This is the toughest thing I've ever read.
  • You slaaaaaag!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I was walking down the street and I could smell bacon. So I turned around and there he was, a fucking pig! Oink oink.

270?cb=20160204220806
  • Bob wrote:
    the filth are everywhere.

Never there when you need them, though, eh, eh.
  • Andy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    the filth are everywhere.
    Never there when you need them, though, eh, eh.

To true, pulling something out of the car on the road side, come back to the pavement between two cars and nearly get wiped out by some cunt on a mountain bike on the pavement.

Pull my phone out at a red light and I can get booked.

I appreciate it's a thankless job Andy but fuck me someone needs to prioritize
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dont you got nobody better to arrest
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    trippy wrote:
    I was walking down the street and I could smell bacon. So I turned around and there he was, a fucking pig! Oink oink.

So I shot him in the balls.
  • Bob wrote:
    I appreciate it's a thankless job Andy but fuck me someone needs to prioritize

Someone is. People on mountain bikes on pavements kill fewer people than people in cars on phones.
  • Not people stopped at red lights I'd wager
    The Forum Herald™
  • Have you actually been booked for that?
  • Me, personally no, but a lad I work with yes, the local constabulary just did a Facebook post about it too as they'd booked someone else, 

I can screen shot it for you if you like? 

The laws are different here though. As are the punishment
    The Forum Herald™
  • Although I did once get booked for 'riding' a motorbike with no l plates that didn't run. I was pushing it and thought there'd be no harm in rolling down the hill. How silly I was.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Without an MOT its brakes might've been shan. Also, you should always get Compo to do the riding.
  • It had an mot, tax and insurance ... it just wasn't running, I was pushing it to the garage to get them to repair it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Fair enough. I'd have checked its reg, seen its MOT, and told you that I have to officially tell you to wheel it. Happy to turn a blind eye if it was rural.
  • It wasn't. He did say he'd of let me off if I'd had one l plate. But my argument that it was a non-runner and as such I wasn't riding it fell on deaf ears.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If you're sat on it and its moving, you're riding it. You could easily hit 20 down a hill on most bikes.

As you can on a pushbike, so I wouldn't have taken it past a friendly warning. Most bikes weigh as much as two men, and you'd have no engine-braking...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Not people stopped at red lights I'd wager

Presumably it’s pulling away when the lights change after not having been paying full attention to what’s going on around you that runs the risk of killing people.
  • For sure, I was about 17 at the time, and I just didn't think, your pushing the bike and have been for a while, a hill comes up, I forgot I didn't have l plates. I hopped aboard I've got arms like pipe cleaners.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’m not disputing that people have been booked with it, but wondered why that’s the thing you picked up on.

For what it’s worth, every uniformed cop I know turns a blind eye to several minor road traffic offences on pretty much every journey they go on. Why? Prioritising. If you see a divisional Police car go by, they’ve probably got a good twenty ongoing enquiries they’re trying to juggle (more if you’re in a city), as well as the however-many calls they’ll attend that day, some of which will add to their list of ongoing enquires. They don’t have the time to stop and dish out a ticket, because they’d never get to their own enquiries if they did that.

If you get stopped by a divisional unit, it’s probably the most serious infringement they’ve seen for a good week or six. They’ve still got things they’d rather do, so at that point, the attitude test kicks in. Most people pass the attitude test with flying colours. At that point, asking, “Have you got nothing better to do?” is an instant fail. For most divisional cops, who really didn’t want to give out a ticket, this makes a ticket a definite. They won’t enjoy it, they’re not doing it to meet a target, but the recipient has made the decision for everyone.

There are roads policing units (traffic cops). Their job is to make the roads safer. They would book their own granny. However, their guidance is clear; their tickets relate to offences which are not some dark secret. Everyone knows that you shouldn’t use your phone, even if you’re at a red light. We all know what speed limits are. We all know how to put on a seatbelt. I’m not a fan of traffic cops, but unfortunately they’re right: people who break these rules make the roads more dangerous. People who use their phone at a red light are more likely to use it or be distracted by it when the vehicle is in motion.

So, if someone gets booked, they were unlucky enough to be seen by one of a small number of traffic cops who will without hesitation apply a law that’s there for us all to read in black and white, or they acted like a dick to an overworked bobby.

For what it’s worth, the enthusiasm to book drink drivers (even those the morning after) is universal, given that they put all of our lives at risk through their selfishness.

If you think that we should give up on roads policing, write to your MP. Tell them that you think that the ratios of Police officers in different departments should be changed. Tell them that there should be fewer cops in departments, monitoring sex offenders or investigating organised crime, and more in uniform catching those pesky mountain bikers. Or, if you think there just aren’t enough Police in any department, and they’re all overworked (hint, it’s this one) then maybe make that clear to your MP.

Or maybe find a cop and call them filth to their face, if that’s how you feel about it. The cops on the street are definitely responsible for allocating resources.

Or maybe just shut the fuck up until you’ve got any sense of what the fuck you’re talking about, you fucking ignorant buffoon.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    For sure, I was about 17 at the time, and I just didn't think, your pushing the bike and have been for a while, a hill comes up, I forgot I didn't have l plates. I hopped aboard I've got arms like pipe cleaners.

I've ridden bikes illegally on our moors in the past, I just wouldn't have expected that to go down too well had I been caught.
  • @andy tl:dr apart from the last paragraph. Community policing at its finest.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    There are roads policing units (traffic cops). Their job is to make the roads safer.

But they wind everyone up by selecting straight roads with arbitrarily low speed limits. I could possibly get booked on my Marin by some of those.
  • That is a top post Andy.

Like you say, people know the rules.
    It baffles me that anyone would argue when caught bang to rights.
  • I do love people getting up in arms about the amount of speed cameras etc.
    You got caught going over the displayed limit. What's the argument?
  • Same with parking tickets innit.
    "I was only ten minutes late"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You got caught going over the displayed limit. What's the argument?

That I spent the first fifteen years of my driving life on roads that previously had higher limits with no accidents. Not one. 20s and 30s have taken over straight roads with 200m+ visibility and pavements, while many backroads that remain as 60s would be legit amateur rallying if you dared.

Those backroads rely entirely on driver sense to avoid deaths, 'cause you're legally allowed to time-trial on them; due care and attention's sketchy in dealing. So if we're trusted on those roads, it begins to look a lot like money-making when the layby mobiles come peaking out from behind trees.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!