The No Subject Thread
  • Brooks wrote:
    Have you thought about terrorism?

Terrorism's waaay complicated to be effectual with. Taking back the concept of religion as a tool in governance is more the way to go.
  • I’m surprised there’s never any talk of mass rent strikes or anything like that. It seems so obvious a thing not to be labouring over.
  • AJ wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Everything is shit. It doesn't need to be, and only is because it serves the interests of a minority of the population. There's no immediate solution.
    I had one, but never bothered trying it because other bits of society which work for the majority of people don't work for me and that depressed me more. I think it might be too late now, it was all lined up with the sentiments that caused Brexit and got Corbyn elected and stuff.

Go on?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Have you thought about terrorism?

Only when knocking one out.
  • I’m surprised there’s never any talk of mass rent strikes or anything like that. It seems so obvious a thing not to be labouring over.

The big problem is that people don't trust that other people would do it and so they'd get fucked over for being in the minority.

Besides, that would focus attention too much on a single area when the problem's more wide-reaching. I've always wondered if a simple mass work strike would be the way to go.
  • AJ wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Everything is shit. It doesn't need to be, and only is because it serves the interests of a minority of the population. There's no immediate solution.
    I had one, but never bothered trying it because other bits of society which work for the majority of people don't work for me and that depressed me more. I think it might be too late now, it was all lined up with the sentiments that caused Brexit and got Corbyn elected and stuff.
    Go on?

What do you want to know?
  • What’s actually going to happen to people like us when we’re old? Through no fault of our own we’ll have no savings, no pension, no home, no capital, no cheap rental contract etc etc.
  • The solution.

Tax wealth hard or fundamentally rethink our approach to property

• What’s actually going to happen to people like us when we’re old? Through no fault of our own we’ll have no savings, no pension, no home, no capital, no cheap rental contract etc etc.
    I've decided that by the time we're old we'll either be in a Fascist dystopia and we'll all be worked to death in concentration camps, or there'll be a highly progressive social programme, including a universal basic income. The first is far more likely, but either way a lack of savings and pension won't be a problem.
  • Yeah I genuinely think it’s going to be hell on Earth or utopia in 30-40 years. The current system can’t chug along much longer.
  • The solution.

Use the flowering social media scene and swelling discontent to take over the country, continent or world with a manifesto which is actually a thinly disguised belief system based on the betterment of everyone and treating people better on the whole. Or something to that extent. Like I said, probably too late now.
  • monkey wrote:
    Yeah I genuinely think it’s going to be hell on Earth or utopia in 30-40 years. The current system can’t chug along much longer.

I think you'll be surprised how long people can keep it wobbling along. I'd probably give it at least a century more. It'll be slowly getting worse the whole time, of course.
  • AJ wrote:
    The solution.
    Use the flowering social media scene and swelling discontent to take over the country, continent or world with a manifesto which is actually a thinly disguised belief system based on the betterment of everyone and treating people better on the whole. Or something to that extent. Like I said, probably too late now.

I think you mean Momentum.
  • No, I mean you described Momentum.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yeah I genuinely think it’s going to be hell on Earth or utopia in 30-40 years. The current system can’t chug along much longer.

I think you'll be surprised how long people can keep it wobbling along. I'd probably give it at least a century more. It'll be slowly getting worse the whole time, of course.

Nah, climate catastrophe will hit in far less time than that.
  • No, I mean you described Momentum.

Oh, it's a thing.

They don't look like they know what they're doing if it's the same as what I was thinking.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    monkey wrote:

An actual catastrophe? Really? I mean, it's going to get fucking awful, but I thought the actual end game was further off than that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Displaced populations, ocean acidification, farmland turning into desert. The actual roasting of all life on earth might take a little longer, but food shortages and wars are much sooner.
  • AJ wrote:
    No, I mean you described Momentum.
    Oh, it's a thing. They don't look like they know what they're doing if it's the same as what I was thinking.

FFS, they've got protesters and affiliation with an existing political party. The more I look, the less similar it seems.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Displaced populations, ocean acidification, farmland turning into desert. The actual roasting of all life on earth might take a little longer, but food shortages and wars are much sooner.

I wonder if I'll get to watch.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Visit somewhere where people have it really bad. Then come back and be happy you're not there.
  • I think if I could afford international holidays to distant lands I wouldn’t be so upset about my current situation
  • Just go to Glasgow mate if that doesn’t cheer you up nothing will
    The Forum Herald™
  • Walk in the opposite direction to the economic migrants entering Germany,
  • Bob wrote:
    Just go to Glasgow mate if that doesn’t cheer you up nothing will

Care to expand?
  • Yeah it made me glad not to be from there it’s almost post apocalyptic compared to the Isle of Man.

I did enjoy Edinburgh though
    The Forum Herald™
  • Maybe I misread and kow was just inviting people to come see my room
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    monkey wrote:

Plus increased automation through AI and robotics, displacement and destruction of jobs through the internet, increased virtualisation of money, collapse of the Western political system. This is all happening now and it’s speeding up.

I don’t underestimate people’s ability to keep on buggering on but I don’t think that’s going to be an option.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!