The No Subject Thread
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Starbucks famously now ask for your name, write it on your coffee cup, and yell "I've got a kodkjdeoiduir4 mocha for JOHN" when they put it out at the end of their bar. There appears to be a Twitter backlash going on to this right now, with a hashtag and everything.  People are saying things like "ugh, they're pretending they're my coffee best friend, it's so fake, I hate it." I quite like it.  It makes it seem a bit friendlier and fluffier.  And more importantly, when lots of people have identical/similar drinks, it makes it pretty simple to get yours; because it's got your fucking name on it. It's a cheaper, simpler, easier system than making you take a ticket or printing a number on your receipt.  You might forget you're order #26354-3939, but you don't forget your name. Why don't people, especially in the UK, like it?
    I fucking hate it, and the staff fucking hate it too.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And everybody is called John anyway.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They constantly spell Joe, Jo. I'm too polite to tell them what's fucking right from wrong.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been in one Starbucks in my life, and I had nothing. It's a cunt factory.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've never been in a Starbucks. Are they nice?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Copy-paste atmosphere but not entirely unpleasant. Often have cute baristas at my local anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like the frappothings with the ice in them but that's about all. Who needs a litre of coffee that's so hot you can't even start drinking it for half an hour. Actually Starbucks is great if you find one in an airport when your flight has been delayed - find a sofa, spend two hours drinking one coffee. And free wifi.
  • I've no idea how good their frappemochavanillaskinnydoublewhippedespressoguanabanalatte is but their regular coffee tastes of warm mud.
  • My name is Adam. A woman in Starbucks once heard it as Anton. Confusion reigned. Who in real life is called Anton? 

Pro tip: Unless you're into the vanilla bullshit things or whatever else, just get the filter coffee from behind the tills. No waiting around by the end of the counter, they just pour it straight out when you pay and you can get the fuck out of there. Tends to be stronger than the Americanos they do too.
  • Yeah, that'll be the stuff that tastes rank then.  If I'm paying over the odds for a cup of coffee I want it made fresh from bean to cup as I wait (as any good coffee house will do), not sitting stewing in a jug for several hours.
  • You think the fresh coffee in Starbucks is nice?
  • They make one of the best mochas on the planet.

end of

g.man
  • I normally get the filter stuff. Change from a £2 coin is nice too.

There are a few cracking indy coffee shops in Bristol though, so I try and patronise them.
  • Aw, your coffee's so lovely.
  • hahaha.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wait, am I in the wrong thread?
    Get schwifty.
  • g.man wrote:
    I fucking hate it, and the staff fucking hate it too. regards g.man

Why??  Would you rather take a ticket?  Or just wait until they call the thing you've ordered?  I guess I really can't understand why so many people get so, so incredibly worked up over having their name shouted out in a coffee shop when their drink's ready.  Why is that such a bad thing?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You people are sadly impoverished coffee-wise if this thread is anything to go by.  Starbucks' failure to make an impression on the locals is notable.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Elmlea wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I fucking hate it, and the staff fucking hate it too. regards g.man
    Why??  Would you rather take a ticket?  Or just wait until they call the thing you've ordered?  I guess I really can't understand why so many people get so, so incredibly worked up over having their name shouted out in a coffee shop when their drink's ready.  Why is that such a bad thing?
    Because my name is nobodies fecking business in a random coffee shop.
    My local Starbucks, the baristas know my name anyway, because I'm in there every day, but they hate the practise too because it presents them with an unrealistic expectation that they should remember the name of every semi-regular customer they have.
    If someone asks me my name because they have a genuine interest then that's fine, but to be asked your name by someone who has been directed to do so by corporate buffoons really annoys people in this country (I'll bet the Yanks love it though).
    It's fuckwittery of the highest order. I've been buying coffee in Starbucks for about the last ten years. Strangely they've always managed to get the right cup of coffee to me without having to write my name on the fecking cup. It's a simple concept. You join a queue and order/pay for your drink, then you go to the end of the counter and join a little queue where you wait for your drink to be served.
    It's not rocket science.

really unpopular in this country

g.man
  • No Mocha For Old Men
  • hahaha
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    There are a few cracking indy coffee shops in Bristol though, so I try and patronise them.

Boston? Fucking splendid sitting out on the terrace at Park Street on a warm summer's day.
    The janitor.
  • Yeah, Boston Tea Party are awesome, Baristas Coffee Collective is my favourite though. Just round the corner from where they film Dirk Gently.
  • Ah Moonbase Alpha.

My dad used to write episodes of Space 1999.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Surely they could just say "can I have your name so I know who to call when it's ready" instead of this faux chummy business that people seem bothered about.

Was remembering who ordered what a problem for the staff*? They seem to have managed just fine up till now. I managed to remember who had ordered what when I was a barman. And add their round up for them whilst I was doing it it. It's not hard.

*no, I'm not calling them fucking baristas.
  • Yeah but barmen are capable of getting drinks AND taking money. Starbucks seem to like a division of labour approach.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    To be fair, money is one of the dirtiest germ soaked things you'll touch on any given day. Think of that next time the barperson has their fingers all round the rim of your glass (which I never did btw).
  • I've taken to keeping the sleeve and handing it back to them so they dont need me to speak. This is a stark contrast to 3 months ago when I sent a complaint letter to Starbucks about the fact it seems I'm needed to spout my order 4 times in a single session trying to buy a grande signature hot chocolate, with whipped cream to take away. Its not that fucking complicated. It was quite a humourous email i'm told.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You poor bastard, I hope some green kid was fired for that.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    Ah Moonbase Alpha. My dad used to write episodes of Space 1999.

I thought you meant the NASA game to start with. I'll just go play outside with sand and dirt like a young'un.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!