Poker Badgers, let's do this (noobs without addictive personalities welcome).
  • Fucked up then. Joined a 2c table in progress, lost my money quick and stupidly bought back in, 4c down the toilet. Never mind, that's more learning the app.
  • More practise for you. 4c is cheap if you learn something. Play your steady game and you'll feel in control. At the mo it's about sticking with a plan. Nothing more.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • More precisely, it's about sticking with a plan in the presence of lunatics. This is the first thing that everyone learns.
  • On a 1c right now. Cant got a hold of anything, it's just all in from everyone every hand. Kamikaze tactics.

But yeah, not resorting to that because it wont help later.
  • All-in mentalism is a right of passage. Play tight until the flop and pull the trigger if you've got something. It's hard doing this shit but it's all good experience in the long run. You'll see a lot less at $1 tourneys but when you do you'll be an expert at avoidance.
  • And when I say pull the trigger I don't mean go all in. Only ever go all in when there's 4 people left. There's too much to chance.
  • Just went down to barely covering the blind to chip leader in 3 hands. That felt good.

62nd out of 70 to 7th out of 40.
  • Pocket deuce as small blind. The temptation is real.
    I'll call the big blind.

Edit: they went all in, nah. Fold.
  • Focus you. Ignore the other tables and do the thing.
  • Blind is worst position. They have blinds because nobody in their right mind would make a bet from this position so it's provided for them.
  • Although small blind > big blind. You should bet 2's here, but 2X blind.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Pocket 2s are rag. Unless you manage to see the flop as an unraised big blind you shouldn't consider them.
  • I know, I know. Tbf I was small blind and only had to check the big blind and could afford it at the time.
    I'm getting too excited. Need to reign it in a bit.

Enjoying it though. So far I've spent 10c and have a token for a 10c tourney so just shy of square and learnt a lot.

Just need to get past the early all in nutters and games get fun. Except for those twats that have to run down every single timer.
  • Pocket 2s are rag. Unless you manage to see the flop as an unraised big blind you shouldn't consider them.

Yes you should, but only if small blind raise. If nobody has raised then 2's in small blind is raise but small.
  • What's the chances that two different cards will make a pair on the flop Goober? What's the chances that you'll make a pair on the river?
  • Pocket 2s are rag. Unless you manage to see the flop as an unraised big blind you shouldn't consider them.

Yes you should, but only if small blind raise. If nobody has raised then 2's in small blind is raise but small.
    This is what I thought. It is a gamble but a small enough one. I wrote it off as a loss to keep me less predictable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would say if nobody has called or raised then a double blind raise in the small blind, or on the button is OK, but that's it. If you get called then you're almost certainly behind.
  • Yes, at which point you stop. You should still bet a 2's small blind if no raise. At some point we'll do maths in here  but for now just know that you're less than 50% on making a pair by the river.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's the chances that two different cards will make a pair on the flop Goober? What's the chances that you'll make a pair on the river?

Something like 30% for the flop.
  • A bit less but yeah.
  • So. if any pair is going one on one with AK then the pair will win most of the time. This is a common scenario and AK doesn't like to back down but 2's will.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It might be the correct mathematical play, but a double raise in late position is weak, and would indicate to me that you're trying to steal the blind. An aggressive player would likely call just to protect their blind, and then you're in an awkward position.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So. if any pair is going one on one with AK then the pair will win most of the time. This is a common scenario and AK doesn't like to back down but 2's will.

It's like 51/49.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That might be AK suited actually.
  • It is. The point is small blind position >> big position. 2's is slight but 2's in position should always make profit over non-pair big blind.
  • Play tight and bully less position will get results.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They should, but it's a difficult hand to play if you get called.
  • Its tricky with these low stakes tourneys.

People are riding luck but it's easy to forget that is what they are doing.

Theres definitely a curve in performance. The nutters take money off each other early, many drop out but the rest are chip leaders. Strat players have to hold tight but that's not enough sometimes, difficult to get much out of even a decent hand. No one raises, its fold, check or all in.
  • @Goober

No. If you get called assume Big blind is win. Just don't bet big with 2's. As already mentioned, X2 blind if nobody has raised.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    @Goober

No. If you get called assume Big blind is win. Just don't bet big with 2's. As already mentioned, X2 blind if nobody has raised.

Yeah, good point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!