Poker Badgers, let's do this (noobs without addictive personalities welcome).
  • Having your cards facing out is correct yes?
    That's how goobz plays by all accounts

*Looks at cards* raises eyebrows and touches nose, frets a bit. "ok I guess I call"
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Bet Goobs looks insane when he's doing the hesitate not hesitate thing. Like he's drinking a frog.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I have wine.
  • Was doing ok but these people are nuts, regularly going all in then buying back in. Its left me trailing and bullied.
  • Yeah the buy in is where the 1 cent games make cash. You can double you're starting chips for 2 cents. Keep at it. The all-in madness is a thing you see on expensive games too. People are shite at poker and you'll get them in the end.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Goober:

tenor.gif

Erm... how much to call again?
  • Also, the buy-ins stop after a certain point and then the mentals go for good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I am obviously in for a Badger poker night. I will tolerate gonz's dreadful chat and goob's transparent bluffing before clearing you all out and repeatedly alluding to it for years ahead
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The audience are generally nutters and best avoided using maths.

Talking of the maths, this is the part that I would like to have a better understanding of. I could sort of grasp my way to understanding something that approximates pot odds, but it wasn’t something I had much confidence in. If there was a simple rule of thumb for being on a table of X players and needing to hit Y outs, I’d love to hear it.
  • And the totally free games have no buy-ins so they're better.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Talking of the maths, this is the part that I would like to have a better understanding of. I could sort of grasp my way to understanding something that approximates pot odds, but it wasn’t something I had much confidence in. If there was a simple rule of thumb for being on a table of X players and needing to hit Y outs, I’d love to hear it.

There is actually but not the X bit. Wait a sec....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Outs x 4% post flop, 2% post turn out something. But play the players not the cards, obviously.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Playing the player is how I normally work, but knowing whether a raise makes mathematical sense to call is always a good fallback.
  • It's more complicated than this but it'll give you a good way to decide to call if after you calculate the pot odds.

• Ok
    First game done.
    I came 19th out of 161.
    I didn't really realise how the tournament process worked, thought it was gonna be endless so did a silly bet then realised people were being eliminated.

Would have placed higher otherwise.

Felt like I was in control when I chose to play except when being bullied a bit by people who ended up with 6 or 7 times the chips because morons went all in.
  • I won a 10c buy in ticket for the next round.
  • This is the start, and 19th is alright. As long as you learn from the mistakes you made then win. It's usually a silly mistake at first but those errors will go with practice.
  • We'll need to talk maths at some point but the main thing at first is discipline.
  • Yeah I'm happy with 19th.
    Thing is with the silly bet, I knew it was silly, which is better than not knowing I guess.
    At that point it was mental though, every hand had at least 3 people going all in. At the time I thought they would buy in again forever but forgot that eventually raising blinds eliminates that.

Ooh I'm good at Maths. GCSE A grade boom.
  • If you stick with it anyone can learn the maths. You'll look at your cards, the cards on display and the pot size and know instantly about the maths. It becomes second nature but it can take longer for some. Once you've done the maths we can talk about player ranges, or lack of. Dealing with all-in pressure from mentals is first, and that just takes practice. Tbh you could probably cope with a sit and go already but try another tourney or two first. $10 limit in this thread so don't blow it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Goober:

tenor.gif

Erm... how much to call again?

I call, and raise you. My watch.
  • Oh I broke your rules at one point and went all in myself.
    Already sussed the opposition as risk takers and I had pocket aces with one on the flop and a low pair on the river.
  • Remember to tickle the six and lay one up for the badgerman.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Oh I broke your rules at one point and went all in myself. Already sussed the opposition as risk takers and I had pocket aces with one on the flop and a low pair on the river.

Yeah it'll happen. The problem with buy-ins in 1 cent tourneys is they have an unfair advantage and this is something you'll not need to worry about later. Normally you'll have the chip advantage so even when they're all in you can call without going under.
  • Also. have a beer.
  • Also. have a beer.

Just walking back from the shop.
    Will do another 1c tourney next I think.
  • Also, ignoring blind increases for a second, have a think about how you'd beat up a player who never bluffed like you were doing. Your range was very tight and a good player can pick up on this, not that you'll see one for a while, but it's worth thinking about now.
  • Yeah, I was thinking that it must be blatantly obvious when I had a hand worth playing. I think one person picked up on it, they ended chip leader on my table.
  • Yeah you need to mix it up a little, but only when you've built the stack (so you can afford small losses so people think you're not as tight). Although you'll do well playing like this, and could probably make money already on small stakes, you're playing Tight Bad, which is an actual term. It's easier to loosen on non-rebuy tables, which is nearly all of them that cost money to enter. For now, which tbh is the hardest bit, just get practice. The great thing about playing tight is you can do a lot of observing other people when you're not involved in the hand, even if it's just nutters.
  • What you'll find later is that your range should adjust on the fly according to the people at the table. Sometimes tighten it, sometimes loosen it, but for now extra tight play like you're doing will get you far.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!