Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Streaming shizzle innit.  Details next month apparently.  Maybe yoss will win his bet after all...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hells yeah I will.
  • Won't be free cos they already have all our data.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • This will change games for the worse. Google entering the field, gobbling up all the devs and making them integrate their stuff with YouTube and Chrome.
    Old man yells at The Cloud.gif
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Google buying devs would be a pretty huge departure for them, their entire business model is based on monetising the content provided for them by others for free. I would expect them to mostly stick to licensing deals, although I wouldn’t be massively surprised to be proven wrong.
  • Google have bought up hundreds of devs. But (I think) no content providers. Videogame devs are both so flip a coin, I don't know. They've got deep enough pockets to chuck money around whether that's purchases, deals, loss leading hardware. They want you tied into their ecosystem and they'll throw anything out to try and catch you, and abandon whatever the product is if it doesn't take off and throw out something else. 

They'll be hugely disruptive to the established market, which I don't have much love for anyway, but Google aren't the company I want to shake things up. 

Just a knee-jerk reaction based on almost zero info obviously.
    [/Pachter]
  • monkey wrote:
    Google have bought up hundreds of devs. ...
    ? Really? Who?
  • Oh, so you weren't talking about game devs? There's Owlchemy Labs but that's it so far.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Disruption to the market is already well on its way, Microsoft are pretty advanced with their plans, Amazon are supposed to be coming soon too. The video game industry is on the verge of the same sort of shift that killed Blockbuster.
  • Google, like Facebook, are tech terrorists as far as I am concerned.

Fuck them right off.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Disruption to the market is already well on its way, Microsoft are pretty advanced with their plans, Amazon are supposed to be coming soon too. The video game industry is on the verge of the same sort of shift that killed Blockbuster.
    It seems like you keep forgetting that OnLive died on the vine and PSNow launched 5 years ago.
    Lumberyard has died out, so I wouldn't figure on anything coming out of Amazon - they're content with everyone needing AWS for the backend.

Also, I'm disappointed that MS killed off their plans for xbox VR HMD support - only Sony leading that charge on consoles.
  • I'm good thanks Google.
  • I can imagine in the long term the actual boxes under the TV going away and it all relies on streaming etc. I think this will be worse for the type of games I enjoy, but games will be built with streaming in mind.

I also think Nintendo will refuse most of it anyway and still have a device just for them, and they’ll continue doing ok under that model for a long while.

1557.gif
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    It seems like you keep forgetting that OnLive died on the vine and PSNow launched 5 years ago.

Not really. The future is device agnosticism, PSNow didn’t offer that.
  • PS Now is available on PlayStation 4 and Windows.
  • The one time I tried it, OnLive worked pretty well. The visual quality ranged from good, to choppy, to awful but there was no noticeable input lag. It's just the connection speed holding this back and that hasn't changed. 

My main objection is I hate Google and Amazon and want them out of my life. I definitely don't want them sticking their dicks into my favourite hobby. 

Agree with jelly that this won't affect Nintendo who have got their own niche. There isn't room for four big players in the triple A space so at least one company is doomed.
  • PS Now is also shit, as was OnLive.
    Not good examples of the concept.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The one time I tried it, OnLive worked pretty well. The visual quality ranged from good, to choppy, to awful but there was no noticeable input lag. It's just the connection speed holding this back and that hasn't changed. 

My main objection is I hate Google and Amazon and want them out of my life. I definitely don't want them sticking their dicks into my favourite hobby. 

Agree with jelly that this won't affect Nintendo who have got their own niche. There isn't room for four big players in the triple A space so at least one company is doomed.

There are more than four video streaming services.
  • More people watch tv than play triple A games.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Quite.

Devices it was formally available on:

PlayStation 3
    PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
    All 2013, 2014, 2015 Sony Bravia TV models
    All Sony Blu-ray player models
    All Samsung TV models

How many devices does it need to be available on to count then Yoss?
  • Oh yay, another games via streaming convo littered with extremely odd flexes. Sign me up!
  • Oh yay, another games via streaming convo littered with extremely odd flexes. Sign me up!
    Oh, yay, another person butting in with metacommentary just to say they don't like the way other people are talking about a subject, but adding nothing whatsoever to the topic.
    Just fucking jog on.
  • Righto chump, calm yersel.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Quite.

Devices it was formally available on:

PlayStation 3
    PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV
    All 2013, 2014, 2015 Sony Bravia TV models
    All Sony Blu-ray player models
    All Samsung TV models

How many devices does it need to be available on to count then Yoss?

Remove everything that is built by Sony from your lists and you’re left with Windows and Samsung TVs once upon a time. I don’t think that really counts as device agnosticism so much as a couple of small steps outside a walled garden.

Edit: thinking about it, I can use AirPlay on more non-Apple devices than that. Nobody is about to accuse Apple of device agnosticism.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I see OnLive being mentioned along with PSNow, I might be a bit behind but I thought that Sony bought OnLive so PSNow was OnLive

Also, dammit, Drew, no-one cares for Apple commentary right now. Unless you want to actually describe the Google business model as it was misinterpreted above and discuss how this could possibly democratise game making in a similar way to how Apple put a mobile game playing device in many peoples hands this might turn Chrome browser into what is to all intents and purposes a console for almost anyone. Though that still comes with the issues that arise from pairing controllers to PCs
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Apple stuff was only a comparison to a well-known walled-garden.

Although browsers are already (low-powered) games consoles due to Flash, no? Plus pretty much anything that can run a browser can also run indie stuff at least. I don’t see this as particularly democratising game making. Access to games, perhaps, but not the making, IMO.
‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!