Stadia - now "free" for a month or two
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I reckon that damned EU banned King Size Mars Bars.

Post Brexit we will have Emperor sized ones. Bring it on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This is going to be ace and I am all in
    Day one
    Same. Like crypto
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

• There's some thoughts and concerns I've been having about Stadia that I'll get around to posting soon, but in case I forget about it I'll note the thing about possible Google AdSense integration directly into the game world which... really would not be good.

There's some positive stuff about new design possibilities with multiplayer and such, but mostly I think it's possibly a bad thing.
  • I would rather by an xbox one and install updates on ISDN rather than rely on Google streaming in australia with ads infestation. They are like facebook probably the worst gaming platform option.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Absence within gameworld has been mooted for years, yes itcould break immersion, but it means devs can save time by not building joke adverts, could increase immersion if people write games around it, Trueman show style

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Look how seamless the advertising in street fighter v is.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm deeply suspicious of this. It's admittedly an American-hoarding-for-the-apocalypse-in-a-bunker type superstition, but I still like physical copies of console games. It doesn't really bother me with Steam because Linux and open-source hardware and you purchase stuff separately.

With streaming, pricing is always beyond the users control, as are things like advertising and data collection. I like owning stuff.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Even if you “own” a cd we’re basically entering the era where they’re starting to die anyway.
  • Well everything dies eventually, but some things last longer than others as an entertainment investment.
  • Plus your cd will not start asking you shit.
  • The only chat i’ve heard about this is via the Crate and Crowbar podcast and they were all incredibly dubious about it from a Google curation point of view, and the developer they have onboard was less than impressed with the implication it could potentially have on smaller game dev.

Keep it.
  • Most of the big players in games are baddies. The thing that keeps them sort of in check is they don’t get too much power. Having split platforms helps that. As soon as one of them becomes dominant, the others manage to outmanoeuvre them and claw back ground. New consoles come along every few years so the customer gets an in-built jumping off / jumping on point. Google could end that. You can’t compete with them. They’ll be on everything. They’ll suck all content towards themselves.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I’d say it’s fairly new news.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It's definitely something.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I say it's nothing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • This is going to upset me, I can just tell. Especially if it becomes a thing.
  • I think there is a market there for streaming games but this seems to have one or two too many things locked down.

Digital only games, fine, but then they are only available through the Stadia store. Streaming only, no option to choose to download. 4k tied to a sub, 1080p not until 2020, with no guarantee it will remain free or indeed ad free.

Compare that to something like Shadow where you effectively get your own remote PC, you can buy games from whatever digital store you wish and if you want to, download those games to hardware you own locally either as well or at a later date if you choose.

I kinda feel like buying games through Stadia runs a big risk of throwing money at a service that has a good chance of not lasting.
  • So the pro version will chew up a terabyte in 65 hours or averaged daily per month, 2 hours a day at 4k.

No fucking way is this thing taking off in aus.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    So the pro version will chew up a terabyte in 65 hours or averaged daily per month, 2 hours a day at 4k.

No fucking way is this thing taking off in aus.

Lol.

Yeah, it'll struggle.

Case in point: I'd be close to having the speeds to run stuff, but it would murder my DL limit, my folks have unlimited DL, but their speeds would make it choptastic for sure.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I kinda feel like buying games through Stadia runs a big risk of throwing money at a service that has a good chance of not lasting.

Hey, since when have google just dropped things? Dm me on my google+ account if you want to discuss it further.
  • Is the pricing you have to pay for stadia @£10 a month then Buy games extra? Seems like the reverse of normal.
  • Also the idea you don’t need hardware but you do need 100 quid of launch kit is kind of humourous to me.
  • And really if you want to play ass creed at 10fps just get a ps3.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What's wrong with the intertubes in Aus? Greed or infrastructure?
  • Just seen that everyone’s favourite arrogant wanker Phil Harrison is involved.

This service can die.
  • White ants are the problem.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    ^ If it was any other country, I'd take that for a euphemism...
    But Oz?

dyeuYpC.jpg?fb

Anyway... Over here, 720p at 60fps, on a 10Mbps connection is, for London at least, within reach for most... That it's based on an upgraded Chromecast for hardware is tempting to me too.

Chromecast is a nice bit of kit, though it's been a bit frustrating since they locked down the UI, and made it harder to launch your phone browser on a big screen.

Another thought, is if they can guarantee a decent framerate at a certain bandwidth, they could base a very interesting VR system on it too...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

This is also true. Like Chump suggested, Google tends to dump every other product it launches.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!